shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you believe in ghosts?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely not. And I don't want to ever have to change my mind on that. Same thing goes for aliens, vampires, werewolves and various other nasty things. :bigsmile:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't see myself as a "ghost" believer but I have had numerous experiences to believe they may exist (although it fundamentally conflicts with me too). In my 10+ personal experiences, none of them were bad or resulted in any harm. In all but 2 experiences ... I was alone and had no real proof. One of my sister and my mom also has had numerous experiences.

I will share one experience where a car full of people experienced it. We were driving on a pretty empty road with the windows down. Suddenly, we felt the car run over something and we heard loud screaming from outside. We were all in shock thinking we ran / hit something and stopped the car. We went out and there was nothing on the road and no one on the side - no idea who was screaming. There were 4 people in the car and we were pretty freaked out about it.

I have had multiple experiences where I thought I saw someone and start talking to them but when I look again ... no one is there. Examples include looking up the stairs and seeing someone there (thinking it is one of my sisters), take off my shoes and look up, they are gone. Anyways, this was my family home and we believe there was a young girl ghost there seen multiple times by me and my sister (our descriptions matched) but my youngest sister and brother never ever saw her. She never bothered us or hurt us.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1391045208|3603849 said:
CJ2008|1391044982|3603842 said:
No.

ETA: although they do scare the heck out of me in movies, etc. :errrr:

Slight threadjack for a moment...scariest movie The Ring.
Loved it but I'm crazy that way. I love scary movies! :errrr: I just hate being scared IRL!
The Ring. F that movie. :knockout:

There is no credible evidence for the existence of ghosts.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
So have any of you been following this story, of an Indiana family???
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/28/latoya-ammons-demon-possession_n_4681127.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/27/a-real-life-demon-possession-is-being-reported-in-indiana-the-details-are-almost-too-horrifying-to-believe/

there are several other articles if anyone is interested. :o

I can across this video a couple years ago when DS and I were planning a Disney trip and it's sort of continued to freak me out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTdnt9tA47o

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
A personal experience is what has convinced me. I've had a couple of "there's no way they could have known that" or things I sensed that I found out later were true. It's always good to question. That Disney video is creepy! Was there ever a story to go with it?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1391163177|3604850 said:
So have any of you been following this story, of an Indiana family???
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/28/latoya-ammons-demon-possession_n_4681127.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/27/a-real-life-demon-possession-is-being-reported-in-indiana-the-details-are-almost-too-horrifying-to-believe/

there are several other articles if anyone is interested. :o

I can across this video a couple years ago when DS and I were planning a Disney trip and it's sort of continued to freak me out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTdnt9tA47o

Creepy! I have been reading all the PS ghost threads you guys so kindly linked in this thread and oh my! If I was a non believer before I am certainly not now. I am not sure that I 100% believe in ghosts but I would categorize myself as a ghost agnostic perhaps...just not sure. I would love to know the answer to TGal's Ireland mystery visitor...that was a very entertaining story TGal...thanks for sharing!

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
Many years ago (over 30 years for sure), I stayed in our house getting it ready to turn it over to the real estate agent to sell. My husband was starting a new job out of state. Occasionally, through the years we lived there, we would smell a very subtle floral fragrance. It would last for a little while then disappear. We also heard what sounded like a woman humming - also subtle and barely audible, and both my husband and I experienced both the scent and the humming. We chose to not acknowledge it, and we did not discuss it inside the house. My husband and I and our two dogs were never blatantly bothered.

The house was not an old house, but actually a builder's model, but was built on property where a house had burned down - nothing violent as far as we knew. However, this house had leaky windows, so in the winter, it was hard to get it warm. When my husband left to start his new job, I was about 5 months pregnant, and every evening, before I would get into bed for the night, I would turn the thermostat way up. Well, one day I got into bed and realized I had forgotten to turn up the thermostat - but I decided I wasn't getting out of bed - I was too comfortable under my blanket. When I got up in the morning I noticed that the house wasn't as cold as it should have been. I went over to the thermostat and saw that it had been turned up - but not by me. Whoever she was, she was benevolent, and did not come along with us when we moved. :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
backwardsandinheels|1391170664|3604872 said:
A personal experience is what has convinced me. I've had a couple of "there's no way they could have known that" or things I sensed that I found out later were true. It's always good to question. That Disney video is creepy! Was there ever a story to go with it?

I've never found one, but I didn't look very hard either..so maybe.

I'm a believer in ghost, however, I don't want to be proven right. I often say that I'd like to see a ghost and then quickly take it back. lol My grandfather told me a story about a family vacation he took. They went always had a motor home so many vacations were spent at various campgrounds during the summer. On one of these vacations my grandfather and two of my aunts decided to go for a swim. Evidently there weren't many at the beach when they arrived but there was a floating raft that you could swim out to and there was a man sitting on it. My grampie and aunts decided to swim out as well, once there my grandfather sat on the raft with stranger and watched as my aunts jumped off the raft into the water over and over again. My grandfather struck up a conversation with the man and eventually my aunts settled in beside my grandfather and joined in the conversation. At some point a fish jumped and my grandfather turned to the man laughing and said 'did you see that?' but the man was gone! They knew that he couldn't have possibly jumped into the water and swam to shore in such a short amount of time. My grampie was puzzled and even considered that he may have fallen into the water, or was under the raft, so he jumped in, searching for him, in case he had suffered a medical condition....but he found nothing. My aunts kept an eye on shore in hopes that he would emerge there...but he didn't. My grandfather is convinced that he spent a wonderful hour conversing with a ghost. It's the only explanation that he has ever come up with. Only one of my aunts remembers the incident and she tells it exactly the way my grampie did. I think some things just defy explanation.

I love reading everyones stories. You have all managed to keep me up way beyond any reasonable hour! I've been humming along to that 'sometimes I give myself the creeps' song for two days! :lol:

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
We went on a ghost walk in Savannah in October. I think their spirits are exhausted. You could just tell that it used to be more quaint and now it's overun with tourists. Walking by the cemeteries was very cool from a history stand point even if there was no activity. Someone told us Sixth Sense tours were the best but we were on a different one. The Sixth Sense movie still scares me a little to this day if i think about it too hard! We also went to The Pirate House for dinner, staff told us different things they'd experienced or heard.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jramy278|1391218449|3605470 said:
In the "spirit" of this thread: www.facts.fm/haunted-cities/

How many of you live/have lived in one of these spooky places? :Up_to_something:

I have the Chicago Haunts book, lived there for about 8 years and never did see a ghost at any of the alleged haunted locations. The stories are interesting, though.

They're making Scary Stories To Read In The Dark into a movie: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/04/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-movie_n_4383335.html All you 80's kids probably had a copy of this, I definitely did.

My dad used to take my sibling and me to horror movies like Children of the Corn. I usually fell asleep. He also would take us through old abandoned "haunted" houses to desensitize us (and he probably thought we'd think it was fun.) My mother designed haunted houses and made all kinds of crazy, scary costumes when I was growing up, so I am totally unfazed by walking through a "haunted" house or maze at Halloween.

I think the concept of ghosts is cool, but I really don't believe in them. I believe that others may be receptive to their presence, so I suppose on some level I do believe in them, though. I guess I just don't possess that sensitivity.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I am going to respond personally first then read through. Yes. I believe. I have several spirits/ghosts who stay with me and have for many years. I can name at least some of them. My mom's step grandfather who was abusive towards her and who I think recognizes her in me, my great grandmother who loved me deeply and who watches over me, my childhood dog who loved me so much he guarded my bedroom window and tried following me to school, my dear friend Chris who visits between me and several other people but who I distinctly feel when he is here, a bad man who scares me, and then many that come and go who I cannot identify. Following are my personal experiences over the years.

As a teenager: My radio in my room and my tv would turn themselves on and off at all hours, and would tune themselves/ change channels on their own, usually to goldie oldies.
My closet door would slam shut of it's own accord, normally when the air was off and my fan was off in my childhood home.
I could feel someone watching me from my closet when I was younger.
One night I awoke to my bed shaking, as if a dog were laying on it and panting. I felt it get up and jump down. That's how I know Tracker is around. Sometimes my dogs watch what I think is him, or play with something not there.
When I was in highschool, I had a long blown glass tear drop with a dragon painted on it. It hung by fishing line from a shelf over my tv. One night as I was watching tv, it began to spin, again no AC, no fan on, no windows or doors open to my room. It continued to spin steadily at the same pace. I called my mom in, so she can attest to this. We watched it spin for close to 5 minutes before she walked over and stopped it. We took it down after that.
Sometimes I hear people talking, laughing, yelling. Usually at night. Sometimes they are speaking in strange languages. I've had Portuguese, French, German and Polish so far, as well as English speakers. They say various things.
The bad man is a very ominous spirit. I feel him watching me, sometimes following me through our home. Sometimes I wake up to his form standing over our bed. I don't know who he is. Sometimes he is with Big Daddy (step grandfather), sometimes alone. Big Daddy usually is just someone I experience watching me.
At my grandparents old log cabin, someone frequently appeared on the balcony to me, and my bedroom door there would not stay closed. I could push it closed, click it, lock it, it would always be open 10-20 minutes later.
I sometimes see apparitions along the roadside, usually in white form. I also see light orbs streak roadside, in our room, in the house.
The night they found Chris' body, when I found out he was gone, I very distinctly felt him in the room with me. He was smiling smugly, he was happy to see me happy. He acted as a big brother to me at many times when we were close in life. I think he was happy I'd found my happiness. For many weeks he watched over me, and many times appeared to me and to his mother in animal spirit form. For me, he came as an owl. The night of his candle vigil, an owl landed in a tree next to me as I held the candle. The moment I blew it out, the owl took flight. Several weeks later, one landed right in front of me in my neighborhood, and sat and watched me drive by. For many months, an owl sat outside my window and hooted at night. For his mom, it was deer. When they were driving to identify his body, 5 deer crossed the road in front of them. After that, back in FL, for many months, 5 deer slept outside in their yard.

These are just some of my experiences. I believe some people are more sensitive to it than others. Daniel's uncle called him last week, and told him there were people in our house, he could feel them, and we needed to cleanse it before boo is born. I told Daniel to let him know that they stay with me, and have since I was 10. There isn't much I can do.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1391035175|3603700 said:
No, because the idea of them scares the crap out of me, so I'd rather just believe they don't exist.

AMC - I wanted to respond to you quick. Most ghosts or spirits are not here to cause harm, or hurt anything or anyone. Many are stuck, and don't really realize it. I feel like it's a sort of purgatory, or maybe it is purgatory, an in between. Some of them just want to be heard. Some seen. Some like my great grandmother, are watching over someone or something. Some are curious. Some are jealous, or angry, but I have yet to have any that have done anything destructive beyond creeping me out.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. My house is over 100 years old, I hear footsteps all of the time.To the point of where I expect my husband to be upstairs and nope he isn't, no one is around. I also have heard things that freak me out, names being called and for a split second when my son was an infant and staying in our room I walked past the room and saw the shadow of a man standing over the bassinet.
I know people will think I am crazy, but I swear this has really happened to me. I never gave it a thought one way or the other about ghosts until I moved into this house.
It does freak me out, I try to ignore it and not think about it and hope the spirits are nice. :shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results