shape
carat
color
clarity

Morganite in Yellow Gold?

ballerina181

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this website as a member, but I've been lurking for awhile. My SO and I have been discussing engagement ring options and I have fallen in love with this setting (scroll down):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/118867346/huge-morganite-diamond-ring-14k-rose

I've read a lot about morganite and while I understand that it can be brittle and not entirely suitable for an everyday ring we are thinking about getting a morganite in that setting, but with an eternity style band w/ real diamonds.

My question for you ladies is...could a morganite look good in a yellow gold setting? I've only ever seen photos of morganite in white or rose gold. Yellow gold looks amazing with my skin tone, but if yellow gold doesn't flatter the morganite I might settle for rose gold. I have seen morganite in person, but it was a loose stone so it was difficult to imagine what the stone might look like in a ring setting.

Thank you! I hope my post makes sense.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd recommend seeing a morganite in person and taking a yellow gold chain or a yellow gold setting with you and rest the morganite on top of it and see how you feel about the look in person. Even a yellow gold looking candy wrapper will work.

Here is a link to the search on pinterest:

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=morganite yellow gold

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is sufficient variation amongst morganites that I don't think there is a conclusive answer. Yellow gold would nicely complement some morganites I've seen, but would not work well with others (the rectangular step cut morganite I recently purchased looks much better against a rose or peach gold than any of the usual yellow gold alloys).

So many lousy morganites being peddled: poorly cut, often with awful windows, and/or blah, washed-out color. With the rise in popularity of morganite, an increasing number of synthetic ones have come into the market. And many online vendors show you stock photos of their rings, i.e., what you see is not really what you'll get. Plus, there really is no substitute for seeing any gem stone in real life. So if you decide to order a ring sight-unseen from, e.g., an Etsy vendor, make sure that they will refund your money should you decide to return the ring, even if it is what they consider to be a custom order, and that their return policy allows for adequate evaluation and turn-around time.

FWIW, I wouldn't pay the additional money for an eternity band on an engagement ring. My thought is that you always are going to wear it with the center stone taking center stage, so why pay for diamonds (and the workmanship) that won't be seen -- unless you yourself are in the habit of gazing at the palm of your hand :))

ballerina181

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies! I really appreciate the info and suggestions. We're trying to find something that will work within our budget (under 2k for e-ring) as we are still college students, but something that is still beautiful and relatively long-lasting. I'm going to have to lurk around these boards some more to understand what I should be looking for in gems.

Thanks again!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just adding to what others have said - it seems a matter of personal taste. I would try to match the level of intensity of color - that is, I would match a pale, lightly saturated morganite with 14k yellow gold and leave the high karat gold for those with greater saturation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results