shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a light fixture for my kitchen

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I am normally pretty good at making decisions for updating our home, but I cannot for the life of me pick a light fixture for our kitchen. Part of my problem is that we are a military family and we plan to sell our home within three years or so. I'm having a hard time choosing with an eye toward resale.

I dislike our current one, and it also doesn't provide much light. I'm looking for something that will look nice, and updated but not contemporary. Our style is anything but modern! We want to stick with oil rubbed bronze, because that's the color we're sticking with for the entire house. The island pictured is movable, and my husband is very tall, so I don't want something that hangs down too low.

Other things of note, we will be getting granite and new stainless steel appliances in the summer. I am also going to repaint the cabinets a brighter white next week... So please do not let my ancient black and white oven distract you!

What do you think would look nice? Since this isn't our forever home I'd like to keep it under $300.

pearlgirlkitchen.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a school light fixture? I like their versatility -- they look vintage with vintage decor and modern with modern decor.

_159.jpeg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1391018440|3603449 said:
How about a school light fixture? I like their versatility -- they look vintage with vintage decor and modern with modern decor.

Thanks Matata! I had not thought about that style at all! You're right, it could work with many different styles.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else? Bueller?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Will flush mounted to the ceiling work? Or does it need a drop? Also, how much lighting do you need. Our new chandelier over the kitchen table has 6 60w bulbs, for 360 watts. Narrowing down those couple of things can really help when looking.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here are two options. Both are semi-flush mount, give 300 watts of light, and are transitional style.

9c8605ed-b174-4544-bd93-dd507d216a7a_1000.jpg

99395ba7-c840-4e95-92c9-1c48383ecd75_1000.jpg

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Hi OUPeargirl,

I like the options shown above. Here are some pictures of how the schoolhouse style looks in a kitchen (first one the ceiling one similar to what Matata suggests is further towards the door in the picture).

There is also the drum style. The one in the glitter and goat cheese picture is a semi-flush fixture from Lowes. Didn't see it available on line anymore but the store (or another) may carry it or have something similar (Good Earth Lighting 19-in Valencia Dark Bronze Fabric Semi-Flush Mount Light).

I also have seen a picture of the Restoration Hardware Barton Flushmount in a traditional kitchen that looks nice (sorry can't locate that kitchen picture--I'm sure I'll find it when I'm not looking for it :) ). There is currently an online special for $179 - $285, depending on the size. It's available in Oil Rubbed bronze too, but RH online only had the picture of the polished chrome one.

_14304.jpg

_14306.jpg

glitter-and-goat-cheese-kitchen.jpg

bartonflushmount.jpg

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Hi OUpeargirl,

One more option pic--Rejuvination light fixture--an in between flush and pendant of the first pic. Tried to include it in the post above but it wouldn't let me add more than 4 pics.

Hope your update goes well and your family enjoys the updated kitchen.

schoolhouse.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I love the drum fixture that blossom posted. Stylish without being too committal. Just make sure to get enough wattage. I hate dim rooms when I want light!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm loving the drum look and the old schoolhouse fixture.

You guys are great. Thanks for your input! It's so nice to have input from other people.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results