shape
carat
color
clarity

Which kitchen would you prefer?

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
We just bought an older remodeled home...haven't moved or closed yet. It was a rush decision and one of the things that sold me was the kitchen. My vote would be for the light granite with some nice tones to it (I'm biased though). My cabinets are a light grey and I can envision a counter top that would pick up both colors (cream and grey). Are you going to change appliances? You could also consider just painting the island grey and leaving the other cupboards cream. Unfortunately, I can't yet comment on cleaning or staining of the light granite...gonna have to inquire about that!

_14251.jpg

April20

Ideal_Rock
I have dark granite with sparkles and I HATE IT. It constantly looks like there are crumbs on the counter and it shows every streak. It's my second home that's come with dark granite and I hate it more and more. Please, oh please, put something lighter in.

Your cabinet colors sound fab!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone!! I had initially thought the dark contrast would be very pretty, but not ever having had them, I had no idea the upkeep issues. You lovely ladies have saved me from a bad decisions.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I much prefer lighter counters. I was just having this conversation with my parents, as they're renovating a house. My Mom prefers lighter colors but my Dad wanted to go dark, as did the Real Estate agent (also a guy).

My counters are black with pink/gray/lt brown splotches (I didn't pick it - the house came with these counters). It definitely shows water marks and hand lotion marks. We only moved here four months ago; before that, we had white/gray granite counters and they were a snap to maintain.

Not sure if it's OK to post a link but I'll try it; I read a blog sometimes (mainly because her dogs, Jack & Lily, are adorable) about renovation. This lady redid her kitchen with white cabinets on top and gray on the bottom (like you mentioned); I thought it might help to visualize? She went with white counters and lighter gray paint on the walls: http://theinspiredroom.net/2013/04/02/kitchen-remodel/

And if anyone wants to see adorable doodle pictures, look up jacktheinspiredgoldendoodle on instagram OMG so cute!!! :love:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1391020499|3603500 said:
Thank you everyone!! I had initially thought the dark contrast would be very pretty, but not ever having had them, I had no idea the upkeep issues. You lovely ladies have saved me from a bad decisions.

The granite in my kitchen is black (with flecks of brown and some "sparkles" that go well with my stainless steel appliances) and I don't find it difficult to maintain. I don't find that it shows streaks, crumbs, etc. any more than any of my other granite in the house (of various colors) and obviously, my kitchen granite is a high-traffic area.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hi Uppy!

I think for every reply you'll get saying that someone prefers dark granite, you'll probably get the same amount of people voting for light granite. I don't think there are any bad decisions, just personal preference.

If I had white or cream colored cabinets, I'd go with darker counter tops (I love Blue Pearl, actually). If I had dark cabinets, I'd go for a lighter granite. I like contrast I suppose.

This is totally an aside, but I have a very random, not PS related question that I wanted to ask you, actually. Is there a way I could contact you elsewhere?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have dark granite and I love it. I haven't had any problem with water spots or streaks. I love the shine when I have just polished it. If you are planning on selling your house, I would go for a lower priced neutral. Why put the money in the higher end granites?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1391031233|3603652 said:

Hi Uppy!

I think for every reply you'll get saying that someone prefers dark granite, you'll probably get the same amount of people voting for light granite. I don't think there are any bad decisions, just personal preference.

If I had white or cream colored cabinets, I'd go with darker counter tops (I love Blue Pearl, actually). If I had dark cabinets, I'd go for a lighter granite. I like contrast I suppose.

This is totally an aside, but I have a very random, not PS related question that I wanted to ask you, actually. Is there a way I could contact you elsewhere?
Zoe, you can contact me through this LoupeTroupe listing: http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/yellow-sapphires

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm gearing up to sell my home of almost 17 years.. my agent breezed thru and said Oh Level 4 GRANITE!!! it seems that people even want to know if what level your granite is. .I knew my granite was level 4.. but there are 12 levels I think and I liked the stone .. this is about 6 years ago.. in truth - if I had it to do over again I would use Silestone.. I have one spot near the sink that obviously wasn't sealed well and water leaks in.. you wouldn't get that with Silestone but Silestone is a bit more expensive than granite I think.

I had to change out all my fans, lights, neutralize the color of my house.. (I liked jazzy color).. color my kitchen grout.. it's been a nuisance and expensive.. I thought I updated my home pretty well but it seems I was just behind the times.

Good luck.. and either granite or Silestone would be my pick and I would try to complement my cabinets.. my cabinets are very light wood (and my agent hinted I should paint them dark I just looked at her! ) so I picked a granite that has dark and lighter browns with burguny and quartz.. I love it..

Good luck!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1391031233|3603652 said:

Hi Uppy!

I prefer the contrast too - I have cream-colored cabinets, black granite, and stainless steel appliances. It really is a personal preference.

For what it's worth, OP - I don't know a thing about granite levels??? First I've ever heard of it. I've never heard a realtor mention levels of granite before either. I tend to think that granite in general, would be considered an upgrade, so I wouldn't place too much emphasis on what level it is (unless you've been specifically instructed to do so by a realtor).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uppy you can do a search on Kashmir White Maintenance on google. The reason I suggested it is because it's one that a lot of people like and it has a lot of information on it.

As for backsplash, I think it really depends on the style of your home for me and the counters. But if you went with something like the Kashmir White

Something like this: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Smoke-0.5x4-inch-Shiny-Glass-Tiles-Pack-of-11/6133255/product.html?refccid=YPBOOMPJ7HWLNJCGSHLCB2BRU4&searchidx=53

or this:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/SomerTile-11-x-9.75-inch-Casablanca-Selene-Porcelain-Mosaic-Tile-Pack-of-10/7923521/product.html?refccid=HC5O4HK5CDUZEXCHZSRU2KXNHA&searchidx=460

or this:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/SomerTile-11.25x12-inch-Posh-Penny-Round-Almond-Porcelain-Mosaic-Tiles-Set-of-10/6486032/product.html?refccid=A2URLFDPTLYK5FSM6GOYHQSIIY&searchidx=370

Because it would have broad appeal, be neutral and cost effective.

(If you did order from overstock, I'd go with something with reviews and order one box, see how you like it, before ordering more.)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could be wrong, however, perhaps "levels" of granite refers to price range? Some granites are rarer than others and costs more.

For instance, Star Galaxy is a lot more expensive than Nero Impala/Absoluto.

However, for me, granite is definitely an upgrade from laminates.

Over in the UK, some big chain DIY stores have started to do granite laminates, which is more affordable than solid granite. However, it is not the same as the real thing, IMHO.

DK :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^yes, I'm sure that levels are cost-related. My point was that many people just look at granite as an upgrade in general and they are not necessarily concerned with the price tag on that particular granite. I suppose in housing markets that are more competitive, the level of granite might be noted, but generally-speaking, I've never had a realtor comment on a particular level of granite. As I mentioned before, we have 6 different slabs of granite throughout our home and even when shopping for it, no one mentioned levels, but differences were reflected in price.
If I was selling a home and upgrading to granite, I likely wouldn't choose more expensive granite choices unless my local housing market dictated that. I would choose a neutral, low-mid price range granite. The other thing to keep in mind is that a new home owner may just end up ripping it out anyways. We sold a home after upgrading the entire kitchen (new cabinets, new appliances, new ceramic tile flooring, new paint, and new granite counter tops - all pretty neutral). The new home owner came in and ripped out the entire kitchen, which was wasteful, but fine by me because I know that everyone has different personal preferences.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree with all of what momhappy has said! The hardest part of making all of these decisions is that your personal style and taste should matter very little. Don't spend more money to give it your own flair, if it's less expensive to get something neutral and attractive to home buyers.

As far as granite color goes, I am surprised by how many people have problems with their dark granite. I think we will definitely stick with a light neutral when we pick ours!

But Uppy, when you go to pick your slab, I would only look at their mid-low range granites. Don't tempt yourself on something that is more beautiful with a heftier price tag. Once you're in that price range, just find something that coordinates with the rest of your plans.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are doing this for resale I think you have too much going on. It sounds lovely, but you risk someone not liking 1 of your 3 paint colors and 1 of your 2 countertops. Then add in the floors and backsplash and that's 2 more color choices. Simplify and use accessories in colors you love while living there. Also, I would not do butcher block as it is perceived as unsanitary because it is porous.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1390958877|3603017 said:
We are doing some light remodeling and updating of our house in anticipation of selling in the next couple of years. You know, then things you always wanted to do but never got around to. Our kitchen needs some sprucing up, so we're going to be painting cabinets. Uppers will be soft white (matches existing), lowers will be dove gray. Our walls are a nice, neutral, soft green. The tiles are 12x12 white with some navy accents.

I'd like opinions on counter tops. For resale value, it will be granite. I was leaning toward a dark counter with sparkly speckles. I've also had suggestions on going with more of a gray with black and white speckles. We also have an island that I will be topping with butcher block.

I'd love to hear opinions and suggestions. My friends on FB are tired of hearing from me.

Decorating wisdom says: Pick 3 colors and stick with them, you have 5 (including brown butcher block). I would not do two different color cabinets. The 3 colors you pick should be repeated throughout your home. My colors are navy blue, medium oak brown, and white. I use shades of these colors throughout, everything looks unified. I have furniture in whites and medium brown, pillows and fabrics in blues and whites, and walls in light blue and white. If you look through decorating magazines, you'll rarely see more than 3 colors in any room.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Reading the way my post sounds does make it sound very patchworky. That's not the case as all. The green is the wall color in the entire home. It would be better considered "greige" but with the greenish tint. The soft white of the cabinets is the trim color throughout the whole house, so again with the whole flow happening. The gray for the lower cabinets is echoed in the formal living/dining room and is a major factor in the master bedroom. (And the navy in the tile will all be going away.) In fact, there isn't really any "pop" going on at all. That's why I was initially thinking dark granite. I have, with the great input here, changed my mind on that and will be going with a medium gray. At this point, my biggest hangups are what to do for backsplash, and how to chose a kitchen sink and faucet.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
So, here's the existing picture. All the dark navy will be gone and will be painted the neutral celery root green, like the walls in the rest of the house. The upper cabinets and trim will remain the soft white they are in the picture. We will be adding glass to the two cabinets that flank the microwave. The lowers and the island will be painted porpoise gray.

I will be picking the granite for the counters, and had planned on butcher block for the island (but that is still open for change). I am needing backsplash that is acceptable for the average home buyer, as well as a kitchen sink and faucet.

We will be putting in a new stainless steel microwave/hood where you see the old one in this picture. There will also be a new cooktop to replace the current one. We're not planning on changing any of the other appliances since they are all less than 5 years old, and a new home owner would probably want their own anyway.

kitchen_template.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go ahead and put the same granite on the island. My granite wouldn't work for you because my cabinets are dark wood color, but my granite has a pattern of dark and light cream to dark browns and it shows NOTHING! I could go a week and never wipe it off (which I don't, of course) and you'd see nothing! I would be afraid to go with a lot of white in the background because of potential stains. Mine would never show if it had any. I might not have chosen it if I were doing the choosing (it was a new house already finished), but it has turned out the be a great granite to have. Your kitchen will be beautiful after the make-over!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Grey counters, the dark granite really shows EVERYTHING.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am one of those who would either buy off-plan and upgrade the kitchen and bathroom as much as I can, or buy a house in need of modernisation so that I can rip out the kitchen and bathroom from the onset.

I would love to have a house built to my own specifications one day, hence I play the lottery. :naughty:

DK :))

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Spent some good virtual time with an old friend today and have pretty much settled on a backsplash treatment for the kitchen too. Planning on installing 6" squares vintage tin ceiling tiles painted the same soft white as the top cabinets. Lots of textural interest without complicating the color palate. Thanks OUpeargirl!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you're moving right along! I bet it feels nice to finally have some choices made and your color palette sounds lovely :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love those tiles like ceiling tiles. Where are you getting them?

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Hi Upgradable, your project sounds exciting!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I had lunch with an old friend who is a realtor. She did a walk through of my house and I am feeling so good about the direction I'm heading. She agreed that the granite was a must for our housing market. A very neutral, medium gray. She also says that granite should go on the island.

Apparently, I won't need to fret about picking a backsplash at all. She says to leave the plain white 4x4 tiles. Boring, but okay. We did spend plenty of time talking about the bathrooms, one of which we were planning a full remodel. That has been scaled back to tile floor, paint, and new frameless glass on the shower.

Best news? We bought at $70/ft, and the average sale prices right now are $100!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Went to the granite warehouse and made the choice.

A. Giallo Fiesta Granite

built-by-facebook7.png

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think it's because I'm slightly dyslexic, but every time I see this post I read which kitten would you prefer?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Then the answer would be "the non-allergenic one."

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your granite choice, Uppy! I'm glad you're able to save some money in your renovation!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results