shape
carat
color
clarity

Taxes - It's that time of year!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone started or finished their taxes? I am just about done...just waiting on my W2. I knew this year would be interesting- we converted our condo to a rental and I had some 1099 income from my travel agency. Long gone are the 1040EZ days :(

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Almost done! Just waiting on DH's W-2 (government...) but all my stuff is already entered into TurboTax.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Almost everything is in Turbo Tax. I need to resort some receipts for my business, and my parents (both CPAs) are then going to review before we finish, but we both have our W2s and everything is input and almost ready. We're a little behind because I haven't had time to deal with my spreadsheet and receipts like I usually do with Physical Therapy taking up 4 nights of my week and eating well into any evening work time I might otherwise have.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Wow - you guys are all on the ball!! I haven't even gotten all my forms in the mail yet.....

I have a question though. I've always done my own taxes, but I just really don't have time to sit down and deal with them this year. I was wondering if anyone has used a place like H&R Block and ballpark how much it was?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm actually working at H&R Block this year because I wanted some practical tax experience after passing the CPA exam.

Joflier, the pricing STARTS at $40 for a 1040EZ and increases based on every form that you need (so if you go to a regular 1040 with a Schedule A, etc., the price goes up with each piece of paper). IN ILLINOIS the fee for filing a BASIC state return is also $40, but (a) I can't speak for whatever state you're in (although I suspect the charge would be the same/similar I don't want to state that) and (b) again, if you move away from the BASIC form there are additional charges.

I don't believe the front desk people can talk about pricing, but if you call an off and ask to speak with a tax professional they MAY be able to give you a BALLPARK based on some simple info.

Sorry if this seems very non-transparent, but the pricing really does change with Every Single Piece Of Paper That's Produced. And there are some things people don't think of; e.g., you got interest on your bank account -- extra form! More $! You own your own home (so not mortgage interest to worry about) and paid real estate taxes -- extra form! More $! You get the picture...

As for my own taxes, they are WAY too complex for me to do myself, LOL! I have a corporation that certain income flows through, and from that corp tax return info goes onto my personal tax return (which has complications of its own). I "got a guy" up on the north side who's been doing my taxes for years, and until I feel like I have enough expertise to do both my biz and personal taxes correctly I'm not touching them!

BTW, for those of you ready to pull the trigger (or have already pulled the trigger) the IRS efiling system doesn't open until 1/31 this year. God bless the IRS...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
joflier|1390577661|3600240 said:
Wow - you guys are all on the ball!! I haven't even gotten all my forms in the mail yet.....
I do it ASAP every year. Im usually more prepared than I am this year.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would be done w/mine if DH's W2 from his last employer had arrived. The previous year, he got it right away, but this year, we're still waiting.

A bit frustrating because I want to book a vacation & buy a pair of diamond earrings and I don't want to do anything until our taxes are done!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
MC|1390586302|3600386 said:
I would be done w/mine if DH's W2 from his last employer had arrived. The previous year, he got it right away, but this year, we're still waiting.

A bit frustrating because I want to book a vacation & buy a pair of diamond earrings and I don't want to do anything until our taxes are done!

Ditto- we are waiting to book a vacation until we get our return. It's frustrating because I work for a large corporation with a very automated payroll system. I know that all they need to do is push a "generate W-2" button. Yet, I'm still waiting. Meanwhile, my husband who an employee of backwards, rural county already has his.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info DeeJay. Mine are not overly complex like it sounds like yours are, but it would sure be nice to not worry about them. I'm back in school so I just want to make sure that I have all the deductions for that done correctly...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1390587968|3600403 said:
MC|1390586302|3600386 said:

Ditto- we are waiting to book a vacation until we get our return. It's frustrating because I work for a large corporation with a very automated payroll system. I know that all they need to do is push a "generate W-2" button. Yet, I'm still waiting. Meanwhile, my husband who an employee of backwards, rural county already has his.

Where are you guys going?

ETA - the W2 we're waiting on is also from a big Corporation. I guess I should walk to my mailbox...maybe it's here today (crossing fingers!)

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Ugh, the only thing we're currently missing is the insurance paperwork from our insurance company (1099-HC) - and I have a feeling they might have sent it to my fiance's old address... Can't wait to submit!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still missing most of the brokerage stuff and a lot of other forms. Jealous of all of you who are finished already...good for you! :appl:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
MichelleCarmen said:
Where are you guys going? ETA - the W2 we're waiting on is also from a big Corporation. I guess I should walk to my mailbox...maybe it's here today (crossing fingers!)

All the way to Oregon! Not too exciting. We plan on moving to the Portland area in another year or so, so it's a scouting trip to see exactly where we want to live, neighborhoods, commutes, etc.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did mine tonight. I used H&R Block online. Thanks for the info on efile Dee Jay. I think I have everything but I will wait until about February 10 before filing. This year was easy - basic income, mortgage interest, property taxes, sales taxes on 2 new vehicles, county fees on plates, standard local sales tax, and some cash donations.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I have gotten even 1/4 of our tax papers yet. And etrade said they won't have their tax forms out to investors till 2/19. It will most likely be march. I'm still debating if i want to do turbo tax or just pay our tax person again this year. :nono: I think I could do it myself but DH has little faith in me. :roll:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I compiled and computed my information last weekend and am waiting for DH and sources of income to provide their information. Investment data from our financial advisor won't be final until mid-March, so we won't be able to file for a while.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1390618866|3600784 said:
MichelleCarmen said:
Where are you guys going? ETA - the W2 we're waiting on is also from a big Corporation. I guess I should walk to my mailbox...maybe it's here today (crossing fingers!)

All the way to Oregon! Not too exciting. We plan on moving to the Portland area in another year or so, so it's a scouting trip to see exactly where we want to live, neighborhoods, commutes, etc.

Moving to a new city is exciting! Hope you guys find a neighborhood you love.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! We are excited. I've lived here in Reno for 6 years now and never expected to be here this long. DH moved here in 8th grade and is read ti move as well. He's a deputy and is sick of constantly running into people he's arrested!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results