shape
carat
color
clarity

Pining for those strawberries??!!? Tell me about yours

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Went in to my local Birks yesterday, and toodled into the Estate section.

They have a pair of 1920's earrings. They are carved strawberries made of coral with green carved jade leaves. They are hung on lovely gold wire hooks set with a small seed pearl.

I seriously want these earrings.

Don't even ask how much they are...like 10 times what I can afford to pay.

What the hell would I wear them with?

Why can I forget the strawberries?

Tell me about that piece of jewelry you pine(d) for that made no sense at all.

Actually I could make them work...who doesn't love strawberries? They align with my 'bite me' attitude right now too... :lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A tennis necklace, big ct weight. Where the heck would I wear it?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A mother of pearl carved portrait of a flapper in an ornate platinum frame that i saw in Lang's archives. It's like wanting a stranger's photograph. And, yet, OH how I wish I'd seen it in time.

Every dog collar seed pearl choker with platinum plaques from the Edwardian period i'ver ever seen. Ditto sautoirs. Like AB says, where would I wear them?!?!? (Answer: EVERYWHERE.)

An honest-to-god crown. In Scandinavia, they have brudkrona, bridal crowns, usually owned by the local church and loaned to its constituents, sometimes, in the case of wealthy families, held individually. THEY LOOK LIKE PRINCESS CROWNS. Like little tiny in circumference tall sprouting out frog princess crowns, and I CRAVE one. Why? I don't know! It would be even less wearable than any of the other weird things I long for! For gods sake, I eloped! Hell, I PROPOSED! And yet I really, really, really want one, and sulked for days when the only one I'd ever seen on an auction site was pulled before I could buy it.

Live and learn. To, you know, bid faster, not to get over the weird cravings. Begonia, do you have a picture? I bet we could find a similar set for you for less .... ;-)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I've got to go back tomorrow, as I left my clip-ons there. I'll see if I can snap a pic.

I'll just bet you could find me a pair retro-girl :lol:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1390175870|3596481 said:
mine is kind of similar. I dream about an Art Deco diamond bracelet! how about Fred Leighton 1920's.

yes, post a picture of the earrings!

art_deco_diamond_bracelet.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I want one of these, but I have decided it would be an everyday item. If a tennis bracelet can be, so can a tennis necklace! :saint:

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1390186288|3596687 said:
A tennis necklace, big ct weight. Where the heck would I wear it?[/quote
mine is kind of similar. I dream about an Art Deco diamond bracelet! how about Fred Leighton 1920's. ]

This is gorgeous, Skippy!!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pine for a ring from Elizabeth Gage or a piece from Elizabeth Locke (that heavy gold bee ring or that heavy link bracelet) ... we'll see ... I'm rubbing my hands and crafting a clever plan even as I type!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Photos please!!

In my simple life, even a tennis bracelet (which is what I'm mulling) provokes the question: "why?".
Earrings seem easier as they are more discreet.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Mine? OK, I've got it bad for this Alex.... :rodent:

multicolour_ax10015aa.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dream about an Art Deco diamond bracelet! how about Fred Leighton 1920's.

Wow :love: this is the most gorgeous bracelet I have ever seen!
A bracelet like this wasn't on my radar but now it is lol! Thanks Skippy. :cheeky: Just another thing I cannot get haha.

distracts said:

I want one of these, but I have decided it would be an everyday item. If a tennis bracelet can be, so can a tennis necklace! :saint:

I agree and it is something I would like to get one day. A simple elegant diamond riviera necklace. All you see are diamonds around the neck-no metal visible at all. That's on my pining for dream wish list. Not anytime soon mind you but it sure is fun to dream!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I want a beautiful art deco sapphire ring and OEC/ Tranny studs. Those are really high on my dream list though I haven't seen anything perfect.

There are 2 things that I truly kick myself about for not buying when I had the chance.

SDL's ruby and diamond edwardian ring that was bought by another fabulous PSer and then a 3 stone LM ring that was up for sale several years ago on DB. It was gorgeous but at the time we were about to move back to the states and buy a house so I couldn't spring for it. I think about those 2 rings pretty often. They both had this classic look to them that you hardly ever seen anymore. I often wonder who bought the sapphire and it's settings ::)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Went back to Birks for my clip on sunglasses that I left on the counter.

Checked out the earrings again. She wouldn't let me take pics...nice enough gal though.

So here's the deal. They are asking $1500 for these vintage 1920's dangle earrings. Carved coral strawberries about 1" long, with nephrite jade leaves. The hooks are rose gold, clip on the front (European style?) with a seed pearl. I asked if they were ever likely to go on sale, and she said that sometimes you can put in an offer, but then went on to say not usually on items that low priced :confused: . I'm way out of my league with this one (the process of offers), and would appreciate feedback. I've been checking for comparable merchandise.

Of course $1500 is about 5 times what I want to pay, but I'll try to be realistic :lol:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dangit, my previous post was an unlucky number.

Have to post again. :rolleyes:

Knock on wood, spit three times . . .

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ooo, and I just found a pair for around what you want to pay! I'd post them here except for the possibility of lurkers ... ping me through a LoupeTroop listing, if you like?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hey Circe, I just registered for LoupeTroop, but don't know how to 'ping' you through there...reading, checking, reading...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tips PSers!

Some of those earrings are the same idea alright.

The Birk's ones are quite large, and the coral is of the peachy/white kind, which makes the strawberries look slightly underripe, but in a good way. Those are lovely specimens, some of them a bit out of my price range...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the strawberries! I've been waiting to see if you could get pics. Good luck on finding a different pair. ;)) Birks is always overpriced.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
OMG they look amazing?!
That's what I love about jewellery - there's always a surprise!
Strawberries...who'd have thunk it??
8)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Jeez I wish I could have taken a pic of those little morsels.

Each berry is a work of art. For seeds, they have drilled precise holes, extremely realistic. They are quite large, maybe just under 1 inch, and lots of seedy holes. I do find the darker coral more juicy and berrylicious than the Birks ones however. .

I've been googling coral now, just for shits and giggles, and there are some lovely specimens of carved coral. Quite a lot of gorgeous carves roses, if one is into that kind of thing...

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I've always wanted a Princess Diana ring. I also like to 'visit' the cobblestone ring if I am by the Tiffany store. Face melting price though.

_13921.jpg

_13922.jpg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I know nothing about sapphires, but is Kate's sapphire kind of dark? I've always thought that...

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Begonia, I think so too. I'd want a nicer one. :D

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Begonia|1390282854|3597462 said:
Jeez I wish I could have taken a pic of those little morsels.

Each berry is a work of art. For seeds, they have drilled precise holes, extremely realistic. They are quite large, maybe just under 1 inch, and lots of seedy holes. I do find the darker coral more juicy and berrylicious than the Birks ones however. .

I've been googling coral now, just for shits and giggles, and there are some lovely specimens of carved coral. Quite a lot of gorgeous carves roses, if one is into that kind of thing...

Coral is beautiful but I'm afraid I put it in the same bucket as ivory - lovely material, but looks way better on a coral plant (or an elephant) than on me. Because of this, I don't really even like to support the resale market. :???: Although I have been tempted, I must confess.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mine is kind of similar. I dream about an Art Deco diamond bracelet! how about Fred Leighton 1920's.

yes, post a picture of the earrings!

Very practical with twins :-o

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1390187832|3596705 said:

So you get one and post a photo of you in your jeans and shirt at Walmart wearing it :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results