shape
carat
color
clarity

More Alex Help, Please

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1390308243|3597552 said:
MC seems to have a fairly large inventory for alexandrites and that's who I would go to if I wanted one as well. In terms of colour, it seems like this suits your wants very well. A video is the next step to confirm colouration since alexandrites don't photograph well.

There's a video up now, can you experts take a look? I can't see much of anything.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour preference is 100% personal and subjective. Do you like what you see? The colours I see do not float my boat. I see it as honey brown to olive (gray yellow green).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1390308462|3597554 said:
Chrono|1390308243|3597552 said:
MC seems to have a fairly large inventory for alexandrites and that's who I would go to if I wanted one as well. In terms of colour, it seems like this suits your wants very well. A video is the next step to confirm colouration since alexandrites don't photograph well.

There's a video up now, can you experts take a look? I can't see much of anything.

Andelain - please can you post a link to the video? They don't usually appear on Multicolour but are elsewhere.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Link removed.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok - just seen the video.

Good points:-

1. Clarity is fantastic for an Alex of that size.
2. Cutting is good
3. Price for both clarity and cut.

Negatives:

1. Colour in both ways is unappealing (to me) and doesn't look like a traditional Alex.
2. As both colours are very brown/yellow, the colour change is far less dramatic than if you go from one side of the colour wheel to another (ie green to red).

I'm not sure what you're expecting to see in the video because you've said you can't see much? I suspect you were thinking it would be more typical of Alex colours? I suspect you were expecting more of a dramatic colour change? If so, that won't happen with this stone because of the colours.

I think you have to think this one through ............

a. If you want a large Alex with a dramatic colour change then you need to add several zeros to the end of the price (which I'm sure you don't want to do).
b. Are you prepared to go smaller and find one with a great colour change?
c. When buying Alex two things are important (i) colour as close to the traditional green/red as possible (ii) strength of colour change. The prices drop dramatically if you don't have those two things BUT then you have to compromise by having the more yellow/brown colours.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, to summarize from LD, you are getting great size, clarity and price, but you are sacrificing strong color, which is a matter of personal preference. I emphasize that because no one can decide for you whether you like it or not, unfortunately. If you like it, then go for it.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely not top color, but like others have said everything else is in line, including the price. It boils down to personal preference and what is important to you in a stone at this point.

For $6k I'd rather have a small top color (change) stone. My Alexandrite from them was roughly the same price and weighed in at .91ct.. Different strokes different folks.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1390323356|3597694 said:
Definitely not top color, but like others have said everything else is in line, including the price. It boils down to personal preference and what is important to you in a stone at this point.

For $6k I'd rather have a small top color (change) stone. My Alexandrite from them was roughly the same price and weighed in at .91ct.. Different strokes different folks.

I feel the same. BTW, Greg, forgive my faulty memory, but have we seen your alex?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

I get what you mean here, I want better color change, too. I'm not going to pursue this stone anymore, the video is a disappointment. Shame too, I love that loooong pear shape. I want a bit larger stone, but it doesn't have to be 5 carats.

Can anyone point me to something in the 2+ carat range for close to the same price that has better color? Doesn't have to be investment quality color, but better than that.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1390409529|3598579 said:

I feel the same. BTW, Greg, forgive my faulty memory, but have we seen your alex?

No, I don't think I've ever posted pictures of it. Here it is, I've attempted to take pictures of it myself, but that has proved to be impossible with my set-up. So I'm using Multicolour's photo. It's .91ct Brazilian origin, it has some extinction issues, but the color change is strong and it gives off neon pink flashes in mixed lighting.

j2w_yax664ab_2.jpg

Here's it's video...

http://vimeo.com/46347598

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it just me, or does it seem that alexandrite is one of those stones you have to spend $$$$$ on to get a decent stone, otherwise, it's just not worth it. I know I can buy a lower quality stone in another species and still enjoy it, but the lower qualities in alex just seem too insufficient in color (muddy browns to olive greyish greens) and color change percentage to be worth it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree TL. And on the spectrum you describe (that is, great colorways and strong color change on the one end to meh color and weak color change on the other), it would still be fairly pricey to get one that has strong color change - even if the colorways are just meh color! Go figure. :confused:

Greg: your alex looks top notch. Love those colorways! :love:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1390492652|3599475 said:
I agree TL. And on the spectrum you describe (that is, great colorways and strong color change on the one end to meh color and weak color change on the other), it would still be fairly pricey to get one that has strong color change - even if the colorways are just meh color! Go figure. :confused:

Greg: your alex looks top notch. Love those colorways! :love:
Thank you. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results