shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost the sleepy pear Mahenge!! Heartbroken!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
;( ;( ;( :blackeye: :blackeye: :(sad :(sad ;( ;( :blackeye: :((

I was lovingly eyeing my sleepy pear Mahenge sitting on my leather couch in the sun next to my window. I was turning it this way and that in the sun admiring the bright red glow. THEN it slipped it of my hands onto the slippery couch and down the back fold of the couch. I slipped my hand into the crease trying to get ahold of it, but it kept going down and deeper into the crease (between the seat cushion and back rest cushion). It kept going down down down, lower and lower.... I stopped... went to put my daughter down for a nap and got sown and dirty trying to get it out with a flashlight, I turned the couch this way and that..... but somehow....no spinel! The couch somehow swallowed it and is it just GONE!! ;( ;(

I am completely heartbroken! I was really falling in love with it and have not even had it in my posession for 24hours! I looked and looked until my knuckles were red and raw from feeling around inside the couch....

I am so shocked and can't even cry!!

This was an expensive purchase for me...and now it is gone :nono:

If anyone finds something similar on the market... and sleepy red Mahenge...please let me know. I was hoping to have this Mahenge set for my April birthday... I am just so sad right now....

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Put a big flat bedsheet on the floor, move your couch to the middle of the sheet and turn it over. Rock it this way and that, pull poke and prod cushions. Shine a light into crevices in the couch from underneath and behind. It's there, you just have to convince it to come out and play. Good luck.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is ok! At least you know it is in there! It is probaby sitting on a piece of wood inside. Can you lift one end of the couch and drop it down to shake it out? I am sure you will get it out somehow.

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
I thought I was the only person in the world who takes my gemstones out of their cases to stare at them in different lighting!
It has nothing to do with their intrinsic value, I just get lost in their world of color, glow and yes -- inclusions!
My, we are rock heads aren't we? Don't worry. It is there. It didn't go down a drain! Just be very careful to comb over each opening in the sofa. You can also put a fresh vaccum bag in and suck it up from where it fell in. Another idea is to take a very thin stick and attach super stick double sided tape to it. Dip it into the area the stone fell and gently lift it up and see if your gorgeous stone is there. Don't give up!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once lost a spinel in my car!! I couldn't find it for anything, but. . . .

What I did was I went in the garage with all the lights off and at night, to where it was totally black in there and I couldn't see a thing. I got a high powered small flashlight and flashed it around the car floor, under the seats, and everything, and I saw something sparkle, and there it was. Therefore, I recommend to wait till night time, turn off all lights, shut all the shades, blinds, drapes, and use a flashlight to look in the cushions and floor, and elsewhere for something sparkling, and DON'T VACUUM.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh F iZ!!! I'm sorry that happened, but don't lose hope, like others said, it is not gone forever. At least you basically know where it is, and you've gotten some good advice here. Fingers crossed for you, I hope you find it!!

You should get a stone holder for future use if you don't have one. I take out my loose gems a ton, really every day. It's much safer to view them using a stone holder, as I've found out the hard way too (breaking/dropping a gem :()

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good advice here. Don't cry! It's there. Just keep looking -- it will come out bright & shiny again! Thank goodness it's the couch & not the kitchen drain. You will find it, don't doubt. :wavey:

--- Laurie

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE's encouragement! :appl: :appl: :wavey: When DH returned home, he flipped the couch upside down on top of him and was able to located it and pull it out with tweezers... it just kept going in deeper and deeper with the couch laying the upright position so he had to work with it upside down.

This is definitely a learner's mistake. I NEED a gem holder. Gonna shop for one STAT!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Hurray!!

So happy for you, whew!! Have fun buying your gem holder ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fi Z|1390083332|3595720 said:
THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE's encouragement! :appl: :appl: :wavey: When DH returned home, he flipped the couch upside down on top of him and was able to located it and pull it out with tweezers... it just kept going in deeper and deeper with the couch laying the upright position so he had to work with it upside down.

This is definitely a learner's mistake. I NEED a gem holder. Gonna shop for one STAT!

Those gem holders can chip stones. I would get a gem box.

Glad you found it.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PHEW!!!!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Yay!! You rest easy tonight. Give that guy a big hug.

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Will you post its picture for us?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it when the story has a happy ending by the time I read it. Yay!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DH keeps asking "So? Are you happy that I found your ruby? You were SO panicked when you told me about it!".... LOL " ruby"! He asked me this at least 4 times within a span of like 5 hours LOL!

Here is the slippery little red devil safe and sound:

_13846.jpg

_13847.jpg

_13848.jpg

_13849.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1390094822|3595843 said:
I love it when the story has a happy ending by the time I read it. Yay!

Absolutely agree! So glad you found it or rather hubby did. :bigsmile:

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
That is so cute. He is happy for you and proud he fixed the problem. The funny part is that spinels have been confused with rubies for thousands of years! Lovely stone. Happy its safe.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad you found your pear!
:appl:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Woo hoo! So glad you found it. I was crossing my fingers for you.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Fi Z|1390106760|3595941 said:
DH keeps asking "So? Are you happy that I found your ruby? You were SO panicked when you told me about it!".... LOL " ruby"! He asked me this at least 4 times within a span of like 5 hours LOL!

Here is the slippery little red devil safe and sound:

Seems it named itself. :naughty:

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
You could try using the long attachment on a vacuum inside the couch but rubber band a stocking over the hose so the vacuum only picks it up but doesn't suck it into the vacuum. You could try entering the couch from the bottom. Plenty of couches have black cloth covering the bottom which is just stapled in place. If you cut into that you could easily replace it. If you choose not to replace it that's fine too because, hey, it's the bottom.

Goood luck!

Edit: Whoops, should have read all the posts. Glad you found it!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No problem airplay355, thanks for your suggestion! I am feeling so lucky that DH was able to get it out of hiding!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Yaaay, glad it is found! Very pretty stone too!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A huge sigh of relief over here that your DH saved the spinel. I'm very thankful you managed to get it out of the sofa safely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results