shape
carat
color
clarity

Eeek! Gave my DH the cold sore virus, he's super upset!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1390073002|3595581 said:
April20|1390065585|3595501 said:
I would pour the man a couple fingers of scotch and call it a day. It's not like you did it on purpose!

FTW

+1

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hooray for no facial herpes! :appl:

I shouldn't make light of it b/c they do suck, and the older I get the harder they are to heal, for who knows why. It just struck me as the back of the hand to the forehead and collapsing dramatically onto the couch..or Cam screaming on Modern Family. :bigsmile:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
This is possibly the grossest topic ever on ps lol.

Chalk it up as another plea to the universe for a cure!!
Thank god I look normal again, and I can walk amongst you, undetected. :D

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Going to echo everyone else here - although it sucks, it's not the end of the world for him, so basically just let him have a hissy-fit and he'll eventuallly move on. A very similar thing happened with us. I contracted the virus at the age of 3 and was breaking out about twice a year in my adult life. We were always very careful to avoid kissing during an outbreak, but it's possible to transmit the virus before symptoms show up, and I think that's what happened. One day after I was healing up, he broke out in sores on the inside of his mouth (that's the classic sign of a first infection - sores on the inside rather than the outside) and was really upset because he's a germophobe. He got over it and never had another outbreak. It's been 5-6 years. He took a course of Valtrex during his first infection (which maybe your husband can get a prescription for now?), and sometimes that can help prevent recurrences. After this happened, I went on daily Valtrex for suppression, but still was breaking out at about the same rate until I doubled the dose and added 1000 mg of L-lysine daily. I haven't had an outbreak in 2-3 years on that regimen. Valtrex is now generic, so it's much more affordable than it used to be. Hope that helps!

ETA: Oh, if he has sores on his skin rather than inside his mouth, go to a drugstore and grab some Abreva cream. It's over the counter and helps them heal faster.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah I don't see why this is a big deal. Your husband needs to get over it, he's being a giant, ridiculous baby.

My husband gets cold sores, and so do both of my parents. I've managed to not get one yet (been with my husband for almost 11 years), but if I do, I'll live. I'm honestly more surprised I haven't gotten cold sores yet.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Have him get to his doctor for Acyclovir for the next tingle before outbreak, it wont help now, but will then..and don't exchange kisses ANYWHERE else, bc it can be transmitted there.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Forget the scotch, pour him a big cup of concrete and tell him to HTFU.

Seriously, get some Compeed patches from the chemist, they are a miracle.

I've suffered from cold sores most of my adult life (and never passed them to my husband, who must truly be immune), but I have only just discovered these things. Whack one on at the first tingle and they will drastically reduce the impact, no swelling and no huge horrible blister and subsequent scab. And the fact that they cover the area probably means the chance of transmission is greatly reduced. You can apply makeup over the top and it's like it's not even there.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
If it helps, tell him that just because he contracted it now, it doesn't mean he'll be having breakouts all the time.

I caught it from my now-DH when we were dating in college. I guess he thought his cold sore was pretty much gone, but apparently it was still contagious. Anyway, I got one big nasty cold sore, and it sucked (especially since it left a bit of a scar, but it's pretty much faded now. I'm sure I'm the only person who can see it.) but it went away. And I have never had a single one since. It's been over 7 years. He gets one maybe once a year if that and we are still careful about it, just in case coming in contact could make me break out again, but it seems I must be pretty resistant, which is quite a miracle since I actually have an autoimmune issue.

In any case, one cold sore does not necessarily mean you have a dreadful life of constant sores ahead. And FWIW, I did not get upset with DH about it. It was a known risk and we should have been more careful, but it was never the end of the world.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results