shape
carat
color
clarity

U.S. Figure Skating Championships

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Read another article today on how dangerous Sochi will be. What do you think? Are they in danger? Would you go?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1390174999|3596465 said:
You need a faster camera shutter ;-)

Yeah, I definitely don't have the right camera gear!

Is Sochi going to be dangerous? I missed that. In terms of terrorism, you mean? The thought crossed my mind when I was in the stadium for the nationals.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sochi is close to the Chechnya border and the rebels are threatening to disrupt the games. Their leader was killed by a drone last week but it's too close for comfort.
Btw, they released a menu for the athletes of healthy food including beet soup, some kind of heavy grain bread and other dreadful stuff. If nothing else I would want my own chef.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I see. Thanks for the explanation. I think I'm quite glad to watch from home!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Love this thread!

Name your favourite athletes per event!

Ice Dance: Oksana Grishuk-Evgeny Platov/Marina Anissina-Gwendal Peizerat
Pairs: Elena Berezhnaya-Anton Sikharulidze
Women: Oksana Baiul
Men: Evgeny Plushenko

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Sochi will be interesting from a standpoint other than the athletics.

Putin has the capability to lock the games down tight -- he's ex-KGB & has absolute power, so I don't look for terrorists to succeed, if they try.

Facilities are a mess! Building of this Olympic site -- graft has been ENORMOUS. Millions & millions of rubles gone into bank accounts of cronies of Putin to whom he gave contracts despite their having no expertise therein. They skimped on materials, work is slow & shoddy -- wouldn't surprise me if something collapsed.

Sochi, before the Revolution, was a resort for aristocrats; it has since turned down at the heels, with one shabby hotel. Putin has built an Olympic village (see above paragraph) & I think a new hotel or 2 is supposed to happen (see above again). Its reputation is for HORRIBLE service for unfortunate vacationers.

Marriott will dock 3 cruise ships there for attendees to stay on. Marriott says guests will have Western luxury, eat good food, then get off the ship & experience the awful service of Sochi.

Snow -- Sochi is in the southernmost part of Russia! Possibly little snow. They are stockpiling it in big freezers (!). How's that gonna work?

Oh gosh, BEETS???? I know it's a Russian staple, but why haven't beets been outlawed long ago? Aaaaaaack. :knockout:

--- Laurie

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As far as favorite skaters go, my all time favorite will always be Scott Hamilton! And in general, any skaters who has exhibited his sense of humor, humility and showmanship. Kurt Browning was another favorite of mine. For the ladies, I was always in awe of Tonya Harding's and Midori Ito's athleticism (though they were lacking in the more artistic areas of their skating) - landing triple axels in competition when no other ladies were doing it then, or since! Gordeeva/Grinkov and Brasseur/Eisler were my favorite pairs teams.

For Sochi, I'm really eager to watch Julia Lipnitskaya - the child is amazing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results