shape
carat
color
clarity

Normal that my new Mahenge spinel does not fluoresce.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I purchased this Mahenge Spinel from Forever Gemstones and I am pretty bummed that it does not fluoresce... I will take a look at it in the sun but I was hoping it would so that it would glow in the sun...

Is it normal that it does not fluoresce?

_13794.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a sort of "spidey sense" when it comes to fluor, and I would be very surprised if this didn't fluoresce.

However from your post I have a feeling that you're expecting to see something glowy. That doesn't always happen. If you want to check for fluor, get yourself a little UV penlight from Ebay, go into a semi dark room and shine the torch on the stone. I think you'll see the fluor then! In sunlight, you'll probably find that the colour just looks brighter.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's just it... I already had a UV flashlight... no fluorescence!!! :(

katharath

Ideal_Rock
That's so odd! I know very little about fluor in general so I'm far from an expert, but I do have a few small mahenges and a UV flashlight - and all of mine fluor. Just based on this one pic I would have assumed yours would. Do you get anything at all? Can you post pics? I'm so curious bc I really would have thought yours would light right up.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some spinels will only fluoresce very weakly. I'm surprised because it really does look like it would. Are you definitely using a UV pen? Does it work with any of your other gems (assuming you have some)?

Actually a strong fluor can be an indication of a synthetic (although some natural ones do have strong fluor also).

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I have around 6 small mahenges, most of which are similar in color/saturation bc they came from the same parcel. Here are pics of my favorite pair (which are set in earrings). The pics show them in daylight, then showing a bit of fluor in stronger daylight, and lastly underneath my UV light (along with my two unset cushion mahenges). I am posting just for educational purposes here and I hope I'm not thread jacking - I will be happy to delete this if it's bothersome at all!! (Also - they are from a very reputable dealer so I have no worries about them being synthetics :) )

I don't know if this is helpful at all to the OP but maybe it's an idea of what sort of thing to be looking for?

_13795.jpg

_13796.jpg

_13797.jpg

_13798.jpg

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
katharath... those Mahenges are fireballs!!! Is the dealer info share-able? :naughty:

So it turns out that this little pear does fluorescence...slightly. I compared it to my round Mahenge, my heart Mahenge and my star ruby which also fluoresce. Here are a bunch of poor quality pics... sorry... I was hiding from the kids and used my point and shoot...with the poor lighting in my bedroom.

As for this pear... it was definitely not love at first sight... but the more I handle it, the more i look at it, I love it more and more. I am really really happy with how red it is... the size is perfect... I guess I was a little thrown back by how is has a more mysterious glow rather than the glittery sparkliness of non-sleepy, non-silky well cut stones :tongue:

img_6297.jpg

img_6298.jpg

img_6299.jpg

img_6302.jpg

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More...

Now i hope I will still love it in the sun and outside... maybe in the car would look nice too?

Still thinking to set it in yellow gold, bezel...sliding pendant!!

img_6305.jpg

img_6308.jpg

img_6310.jpg

img_6316.jpg

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am wondering what this "browning out" of red mahenges mean...I am hoping that mine doesn't do that...gotta "play around with it" some more...One thing I am confident about is color saturation doesn't change with the pear while the other's pale out in various lighting

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of my mahenge spinels fluoresce in the sun, which is like a bonus with them. I would be bummed that it doesn't fluor. Some don't fluoresce except under very strong UV lights. If that's the case, they won't fluor in the sun. I experienced a spinel like that and I returned it.

Here is an example of a stone showing fluor in the sun.

file.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1390026774|3595278 said:
All of my mahenge spinels fluoresce in the sun, which is like a bonus with them. I would be bummed that it doesn't fluor. Some don't fluoresce except under very strong UV lights. If that's the case, they won't fluor in the sun. I experienced a spinel like that and I returned it.

Here is an example of a stone showing fluor in the sun.

file.jpg

Show off! ;))

But please - don't stop. I love your eye candy. :cheeky:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fi Z

I'm not sure that any of your stones are showing much fluor (in the photos at least). In fact the only one that looks like it may be showing something is the pear. It appears to have an orangey/red fluor which would be right for a spinel.

If you love it then that's all that counts. Don't worry about the fluor. If it makes you smile then it should be a keeper.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LD|1390078792|3595643 said:
Fi Z

I'm not sure that any of your stones are showing much fluor (in the photos at least). In fact the only one that looks like it may be showing something is the pear. It appears to have an orangey/red fluor which would be right for a spinel.

If you love it then that's all that counts. Don't worry about the fluor. If it makes you smile then it should be a keeper.
Thanks LD. I do love the pear. Exactly what I wanted... learning to appreciate it more and more... never a predictable moment with this spinel. I am looking forward to setting it to see what it looks like 'finished' and on my neck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results