shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone help identify this family heirloom??

waka1301

Rough_Rock
My fiance received this ring from her late grandfather. We are trying to establish whether this ring is of any value or just the high amount of sentimental value. I am not very knowledgeable about jewelry and could not find anything as I was searching the web. There is identical marks on both sides of the ring. I included one in the pictures but it is the only mark i can see. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even a general direction of where my research should be headed.
Thank you all so much for your time.

0116140103b.jpg

0116140104a.jpg

0116140106.jpg

0116140106a.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
You may want to take pictures in better lighting, they are very hard to see :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask the family members if he was a freemason or in any type of lodge of guys there are a number of groups that typically wore rings something like this. More clear photos try outside in the shade in natural daylight would also help. And see with a magnifying glass if you can read any numbers or letters on the inside of the ring that will let us know more about the metal, and possibly if it was made in the US or the UK.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
This type of ring is called an 'intaglio'. Similar to a cameo. The pictures are really pretty dark so it's hard to tell what it's made of. Can you describe the marks on the inside of the shank?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
If the ring is carved in relief (or 3D), then it would be a cameo - an intaglio would be a flat stone where the image was carved into the stone so that when pressed into wax, a relief image would appear.

I have seen quite a few of these Romanesque cameo rings, and I believe (from your pictures) that yours is carved from Tigers Eye Quartz In fact, if you Google "Tigers Eye Cameo Ring" you will see many pop up, some with the double head, like yours. These rings range in age from the Victorian period through the 1970's. I hope this helps!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results