shape
carat
color
clarity

From these photos, can you tell me which is the real one?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I often see posts asking to identify gemstones and it's really good fun but ........

Gemstones can look similar and even if your camera and all of our monitors were all calibrated the same, it would still be difficult to tell. Nearly all gemstones have something that looks like them or maybe there's a synthetic or simulant / lab grown gem that could be similar.

There are certain tests that you can do at home that may rule out some things and if you're very experienced and have seen tons of examples and are used to peering down a microscope at all different types of inclusions, you can possibly make an educated guess but the only sure way of knowing is to send to a lab who can really look into the chemical make up of the stone - something that nobody can do at home!

To show you what I mean, here are two Alexandrites. I bought both of these as real Alexandrites, but which one turned out to be synthetic?

Photo A - the square

Photo B - the heart

alexandrite_7.jpg

alexandrite_heart_.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: From these photos, can you tell me which is the real one

I shall have a guess that the square is synthetic.

DK :confused:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

I'll play along and say the square also. But that's not based on much of anything, lol. I like this thread idea though.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Hmm? I'm guessing the square is a lab the heart is real. Because the clarity on the square looks so perfect.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

innerkitten|1390088728|3595788 said:
Hmm? I'm guessing the square is a lab the heart is real. Because the clarity on the square looks so perfect.

That was the one thing I was basing my guess on too :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

katharath|1390089639|3595795 said:
innerkitten|1390088728|3595788 said:

That was the one thing I was basing my guess on too :)

Same here.

DK :))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would pick the square too since it is so clear.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am most likely wrong, but for no reason I can put my finger on, I think the heart is the lab... maybe because I really hope the square is real?!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would guess the square is fake. Alex's don't have blue flashes in them in incandescent light. Mine is straight purple in incandescent light and another I have is purplish with some brown but not blue.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's the deal, LD: don't know which is fake, but fake or real, I want the square (not a heart fan, lol)! Love that color and can only imagine its green colorway. Please, let it be fake and send it to meeeeeeeee! :Up_to_something:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I see blue in both Alexs; the heart has blue near the bottom point. I am going to say that the 2nd one is sapphire with vanadium.

I actually have no idea. Just guessing for fun.

BTW, stones look different on all 4 laptops I have access to. I've gotten to learn the quirks of each laptop display.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

ilovegemstones|1390091343|3595810 said:
I would guess the square is fake. Alex's don't have blue flashes in them in incandescent light. Mine is straight purple in incandescent light and another I have is purplish with some brown but not blue.

This is my understanding also.

ETA: Except when I look again there's a tiny blue flash on the heart! Now I dunno :???: :lol:

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock

Heart shape is synthetic. That is my guess.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Heart is synthetic.

I hope.

volcanosong

Rough_Rock

square looks syntethic for me :!:

RSargent

Shiny_Rock

The square lacks bifringence (doubling of the facet edges ) so that is the imposrer?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The majority of you are wrong I'm afraid. The square is very much the real deal (see lab report below). I actually sold this stone a few years ago so I'm not the owner any more.

The heart is synthetic BUT a very very good one. It was sent to one lab who had to send it to another to make sure. I kept this stone as a curiosity and a learning curve! It even has Alex type inclusions!

So you see, photos lie and give indications that may not be real.

alexandrite_8.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, I was totally thinking this was a trick question and because the square looked so obviously fake, it was the real one.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Im late to the party but i thought it was the heart, as i have a lab alex, and it has a similar hue.

but it doesnt count sense you gave the answer already :lol: :lol:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Oh well I've been wrong before and no doubt will be again. :bigsmile:
So tricky lady... what's with the blue ? Is that common when an Alex is wearing it's purple dress?

Sheesh. I even went and checked your Alex thread for clues :roll:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I too was selecting the heart as the synthetic one.....
I think because it was so cloudy....but what do I know?!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! How did the alex show blue like that? I hope someone is happy looking at the at beauty in a piece of jewelry!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL forget the blue - remember, some stones don't photograph accurately. There's no blue in either stone in real life. This is another case of the camera can lie!!!!! There was no manipulation with the colour, no fancy footwork with the camera - both were taken in my kitchen under artificial lights (one on a table one on a worktop) with a point and shoot camera. With colour changing gemstones the camera can lie lie lie! ;-)

Some Alex do have a teal tone to them - not teal as you would normally think of teal - more sort of dark green with a tint of teal (terrible description sorry). You wouldn't ever call an Alex teal though.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock

Hee, this was a fun one to read. I had not a clue but am glad the square is real, it's so very lovely!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are right, my alex is more green with a teal tint. It is not straight teal. Fun thread, thanks!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

LD|1390225161|3596860 said:
LOL forget the blue - remember, some stones don't photograph accurately. There's no blue in either stone in real life. This is another case of the camera can lie!!!!! There was no manipulation with the colour, no fancy footwork with the camera - both were taken in my kitchen under artificial lights (one on a table one on a worktop) with a point and shoot camera. With colour changing gemstones the camera can lie lie lie! ;-)

Some Alex do have a teal tone to them - not teal as you would normally think of teal - more sort of dark green with a tint of teal (terrible description sorry). You wouldn't ever call an Alex teal though.
Not fair! Not fair, not fair *she says stamping her (not so little) feet* ;( ;( ;(

How am I supposed to learn to read a photo when what I'm seeing is not in the stone to begin with and is the camera's fault not the stone's? Not your fault here LD, I am totally aware of that - it was an extremely interesting test! In this case perhaps the answer is never try to judge an alex by a photo but just hope and pray that you are around to help out :lol:

I think these pics are going to have me a bit trippy for a while :???: :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It would be unfair of me to play since I already knew which one is real and which one is the fake from old posts. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results