shape
carat
color
clarity

Another darkish garnet...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
For whatever reason, I can't seem to resist these. I promised myself my next purchase would be a light, bright, pastel something or other, but I'm still gonna wear and love this moody little thing.

_13772.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
A couple more

_13773.jpg

_13774.jpg

_13775.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is pretty! Does it hold its colour well?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if it makes your heart sing, then it is "the one"....no matter what anyone else thinks or what you promised yourself!
imo, color stones are all about PERSONAL enjoyment.
Enjoy!

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I love all your stones :)

Where did this juicy one come from? :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see why - I am such a sucker for roundish cushions like that. The cutting looks great too.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1389977973|3594710 said:
I can see why - I am such a sucker for roundish cushions like that. The cutting looks great too.

My sentiments exactly!

May I ask who cut this one? Looks beautiful.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys. I got it from Jeff Davies, and it was a total impulse buy. I was thinking one day that I wanted a pinker version of my red garnet- a nice Umbalite like I've seen many times on PS. The next morning he had posted this. I knew it would be dark-bodied going in but I wanted it anyway. Something about bright flashes coming from a dark faced stone really appeals to me, even though I've read enough to know it's not the preferred thing. Then when the right lighting hits it, it looks so juicy I could just dive right in.

I like to wear all my stones rather than leave them sitting in a box, but it wasn't an expensive one so I just ordered a sterling setting from Stuller at my local jeweler. It should be here any day and I'm excited to have another ring in my collection. But seriously this time… You guys will have to help me find something out of my usual "zone." All I have are garnets and tourmalines, and one silly but pretty topaz.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and an amethyst. I really want to branch out into spinels or something. A lavender or peach maybe, or green garnets… Something different!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I wish! On my budget I stick to stones under $1K, and mostly under $200! But I was drinking wine in the sun today and snapped another picture of the juiciness I speak of...

_13785.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
And YIKES my hands are starting to look old. Maybe time to get out the moisturizer. :oops:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Kelli|1389990314|3594844 said:
Thanks guys. I got it from Jeff Davies, and it was a total impulse buy. I was thinking one day that I wanted a pinker version of my red garnet- a nice Umbalite like I've seen many times on PS. The next morning he had posted this. I knew it would be dark-bodied going in but I wanted it anyway. Something about bright flashes coming from a dark faced stone really appeals to me, even though I've read enough to know it's not the preferred thing. Then when the right lighting hits it, it looks so juicy I could just dive right in.

I like to wear all my stones rather than leave them sitting in a box, but it wasn't an expensive one so I just ordered a sterling setting from Stuller at my local jeweler. It should be here any day and I'm excited to have another ring in my collection. But seriously this time… You guys will have to help me find something out of my usual "zone." All I have are garnets and tourmalines, and one silly but pretty topaz.

I love Jeff's cutting - no surprise that I like this one :)

I used to have almost only garnets and tourmaline in my collection. Then I branched out for a bit to see if I might like other gems, and that caused me to move completely away from tourmalines. I discovered that I much prefer spinels! I do still love garnets though. Anyway that was kind of off topic but my point is that it will be fun to help you choose some new beauties. You never know what you will discover about your preferences...gems are so much fun.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
It is kind of funny bc I just bought a little pair of green garnets (demantoids) from Jeff last night...I'll attach a pic. And speaking of green garnets, I really like this one from Gary Braun. It's about halfway down the page, the 1.07 ct tsavorite. I won't post anything else in here though bc I don't want to thread jack any further - but maybe you should start a new thread when you feel like it, so we can bounce around some ideas for new gems for you :)

http://www.finewatergems.com/garnet.html

_13787.jpg

_13788.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I don't mind a thread jack at all! I saw that tsav... I definitely want one someday but will probably want to save up for a larger size. Same with demantoids. I like the little pair you got. Do you have a plan for them?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I wish that tsav was a bit bigger too...it's rather hard to find them with that color, clarity, and great of a cut. I do have one that is similar in size and color, but the cut and clarity aren't as good as that one.

My little demantoids...I have no idea what I'll do with them, they were an impulse buy. And probably a silly one, bc I already have two other pairs of demantoids that are VERY similar in every way. (I know, I'm just hoarding). My other pairs are set (one in earrings, the other pair in a ring). I just liked the look and price of this pair, so I got them for some future project (no idea what that will be though, lol). The Namibian demantoids don't have the richer green color of the much pricier Russians, but they do sparkle beautifully!

Anyway...what color spinel do you think you might like? I loooove spinels bc they are so sparkly and the lighter ones have such great dispersion. If you feel like looking for something new to branch out with, let us know what color and cut you like best.

Oh, I know you mentioned amethyst and this is actually the second time I've posted this today, but I got a great one from Gary at finewater. Also Jeff Davies usually seems to have some nice ones. One of the things I like about ammys is that you can get a really nice, precision cut large one for a completely affordable price. I'm not a huge fan of ammys but I do love the one I have, in large part bc the cut is so lovely.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Sorry... I meant that I had an amethyst. It was another Jeff stone. As for spinels, anything other than pink would probably strike my fancy, only because I've got pinks I like already. A peach or lavender or periwinkle would be amazing. As for cut I'm definitely partial to precision cuts, but wouldn't be too picky otherwise. Most of what I have are rounds, so something else might be cool. On the other hand, I mostly have rounds because I like them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results