shape
carat
color
clarity

New around here, want to show off my flawed diamond

khfink

Rough_Rock
Hi, Everyone -

I LOVE this site, just got into checking it out AFTER my hubby went and upgraded my ring. I wish I had before pictures, but here's the "after installation": 3.02 F Polish: Very Good, Symmetry: Good I1, EGL USA. No fluoresence. Depending on the lighting it's very difficult to pick up the feather inclusion that has earned it's clarity grade. The setting is my original e-ring/wedding right (all in one), platinum D'Oro band, size 5.75.

After doing so much reading on this site, I've had mixed feelings on taking the diamond in for something of better cut quality (Ex/Ex/Ex), as mine definitely is not. (He purchased with a locally owned jewelry store that has an upgrade program). But then sometimes I think, well, who in the world is looking that close? After all, I'm not perfect, nor is my husband, so why should my diamond be? :wink2:

Anyways, LOVE the posts and looking at everyone's jewelry! Hopefully you'll enjoy mine, flaws and all. Keep it coming! :appl:

20140111_142757.jpg

20140111_142859.jpg

20140111_143139.jpg

20140111_142644.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flawed or not, it is definitely spectacular!! I love the setting too! Do you have a side on pic of it? I love a substantial band for a big rock :love:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
It looks huge on your finger and the colour is great!
You were clever going with a jeweller with an upgrade programme, because if the mood ever strikes to change any of the stats (and let's face it, you're a PS-er now lol) you may be able to indulge!
I like your setting also, very much!

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
How do you feel about it? Do you love it? Does it make you smile? Are you comparing it to others or just to PS? Because IRL, there are very few rings that can stand up to PS standards...

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! It's lovely. How very sweet of your hubby--It makes it very special. Thank you for sharing :wavey:

khfink

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! Here are some additional shots with a different angle, please ignore my dry and old looking winter hands! :oops: It was definitely a learning experience photographing my ring with my camera phone....needless to say I haven't made it into the 'taking photos of your jewelry tutorial' yet.

How do I feel about my ring? I have to admit I'm a little bashful about it! I tend to hide my hand because it's SO BIG. I actually thought to myself, "Is it TOO big?". In addition to being bashful about it, I"m a little torn on a couple of things - with the upgrade program, as long as they're in business that will stand. But if that store ever goes out of business, then what? A GIA certified diamond is going to carry more weight than my EGL-USA certified diamond in another store. Right now I feel like I'm having FUN with my hunk of a 3.02 carat diamond, but maybe when the proverbial dust settles, I'll want to trade 'down' to a 2.0+ with the quality/cut specs that so many clamor for.

The hubby has heard these thoughts, and he wants me to just not worry about it and enjoy the beastly rock. Bless him, he's a keeper, but in the end if I decide on quality he's not going be put off. He went with size, well, because that's what he wanted to get and this fit his (our) budget.

I can't for the life of me get this photo to turn around!

20140111_142257_0.jpg

20140111_142155.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I really like it!! And the setting!! It all looks perfect together and great on you!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know my 1.19ct EC may not be the best in the world, however, it was the best I could afford at the time back in 2004, and it has huge sentimental value. Therefore, it is a keeper even if I can afford an upgrade.

I appreciate not everyone has sentimental value for their jewellery or other personal belongings, each to their own, and there is no right or wrong.

Therefore, OP, if you like the ring, and it means something to you, then keep it. Otherwise upgrade to something that pleases you more.

Enjoy your ring as it is for now.

DK :))

onyx8

Rough_Rock
I think it looks beautiful on you!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's lovely!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is lovely, and looks like a sparkler. I do understand mind clean though. Only you can decide that. I love that your hubby went for big!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is so beautiful!!! I love the setting and the diamond looks sparkly and huge! Congrats!!! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it looks great on your hand!

The only way to set your mind at ease about the specs will be to compare your diamond to a GIA Ex cut or AGS0 cut stone and see what you prefer. The main reason to upgrade, in my opinion, is for improving cut quality. But I do think your reasoning about the long term value of a GIA stone compared to an EGL stone is valid. Sometimes, EGL I1 clarity stones can also have issues with inclusions affecting the brilliance and sparkle of a diamond. But you won't really know how you feel about any of these things unless you compare! So, make it fun :)) Visit Tiffany, Hearts on Fire, or other stores carrying well cut diamonds and see what you think!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see the inclusions in the photo so enjoy and you have a wonderful hubby!

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Now that's an upgrade! Looks great.
If you are uncertain, think about Dreamer's advice.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful and huge. Enjoy it....

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brazen, big, and beautiful! I'm also in the camp that appreciates but doesn't want a perfect diamond. Flaws are beautiful.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY pretty - i absolutely LOVE your setting - wear it with pride!

sparkle123

Rough_Rock
Trade
Imagine what the extra cost would be for the perfection and what you could do with that money, and if you could sell the "perfect" diamond for that price...I think it is gorgeous and if it were mine I would flaunt it..Maybe you could try a new setting, not that the setting isn't gorgeous, but that might give you that wow feeling..

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your upgrade - that is one huge rock, enjoy wearing that baby :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is beautiful on your hand. And what a finger coverage!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely!!! Sometimes the flaw is one of the best parts!

MichaelAbraham

Rough_Rock
Trade
Diamonds are there to make you happy. They are non functional - they don't have engines or software or storage. Having one that you like, and has meaning to you is what's important.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sure is a beauty!

And I think inclusions in diamonds are cool; their imperfections are what make them 'real' as opposed to a perfect man-made stone.

khfink

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!

I kind of thought about sending it in for GIA certification. The jeweler acknowledged that EGL USA certification is not as respected, but he felt this was an accurately rated stone. I'm definitely loving it, but just every now and then I will try to see how bad the inclusion shows in certain light. I don't know why I torture myself so!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Hello! Thanks for sharing your ginormous stone :tongue: I love your attitude about the imperfections. As one who also perseverates to the nth degree (guess that's a highfalutin' way of saying waffling :loopy:) I can appreciate the back and forth questions. For me, it'll come down to what I see/feel when I look at the ring---do I see it's beauty and get mesmerized or do I think about the technical issues? I wholeheartedly second Dreamer's advice. And do make it fun!

EDIT: Another question: when you view the ring, do you think of your husband and what the piece symbolizes? Does that influence how you feel about it? How might that affect your decision to change out the stone?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
khfink|1389803349|3593331 said:
The jeweler acknowledged that EGL USA certification is not as respected, but he felt this was an accurately rated stone.

I certainly understand your concern here, since an EGL (even USA) stone is often off multiple clarity and color grades. It's pretty clear from the images that the stone is not F-colored, so I'm concerned that the jeweler may not be the best judge of the grade's accuracy.

It may be worth bringing the stone to an independent appraiser to get his/her take. As an I2/I3 stone (which this very well might be), it may have durability issues that are not immediately apparent.

Great size, but it sounds like you might be best served by some reassurance/confirmation from an expert that this is the stone for you!

Von03

Shiny_Rock
I think your diamond looks beautiful!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I like diamonds like I like my friends - a bit off color, warm, and with a few flaws to make them interesting! :naughty:

Your upgrade is gorgeous. Enjoy it! :appl:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
beautiful! congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results