shape
carat
color
clarity

Fur coat in Chicago?

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I am heading to Chicago tomorrow. I lived there in the 90's and have 2 mink coats. Since moving, they have been in the closet. I am taking my short swing coat and wonder if I will be uncomfortable wearing it. I don't have anything else to wear. Please don't post if you are going to go all P.C. over the subject of fur.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be in the forties and raining this weekend, I hear. Might be a bit on the warm/wet side for fur.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The forecast I just read said upper 30's and possible snow this weekend (the extended forecast dips down into the upper 20's-low30's). I would take a mink - a perfect opportunity to wear it.
I purchased my first mink just a few weeks ago - it's a vintage stole in a rare "blue iris" color (sort of a creamy-silvery-gray).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nonie, whatever the weather ends up doing, I'm sure it will be cold enough to warrant wearing a coat whether its fur or not. If that's all you have, you'll just have to wear it, period. If it's on the warmer side, at least you won't have to layer very much.

I'm sure our Chicago ladies will chime in tonight if they see this.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I live in Chicago burbs and it is nasty out! 36 and raining, very slick icy roads. I was out running errands all day and wore my wool coat, still feel very chilled. Sat will be 36 & raining all day again. Sunday 38 & partly sunny. I honestly would try to bring a lighter Northface type jacket if you have one. Both nights will dip below freezing at night so bring some boots with good tread on the bottom. I fell on black ice two weeks ago and fractured my rib.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't have a mink coat, but I have a few vintage astrakhan-with-mink ... I consider them to be the warmest things I own (i.e., it has not gotten cold enough for me to go astrakhan this winter, and it was six degrees farenheit in NY). I might wear my shortie above-the-waist astrakhan/mink jacket with the just-below-the-elbow sleeves in forty degree weather, but nothing heavier.

BTW, I'm not "going all PC," but I will say ... I think about the objections people might raise when I wear mine, too (with a variety of prepared responses, from the fact that my coats are older than I am to the fact that I have no problem wearing the skins of prey animals: see also, my leather shoes). I tend not to wear mine to places where there might be issues. Like, old guard Upper East Side? Sure! Hippie-friendly Williamsburg? Not so much. If it's a thing that's on your mind, as might be implied by the caveat, maybe it's as important to think of what sorts of areas you plan to be in as what the weather will be like ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
woofmama|1389394923|3590587 said:
I live in Chicago burbs and it is nasty out! 36 and raining, very slick icy roads. I was out running errands all day and wore my wool coat, still feel very chilled. Sat will be 36 & raining all day again. Sunday 38 & partly sunny. I honestly would try to bring a lighter Northface type jacket if you have one. Both nights will dip below freezing at night so bring some boots with good tread on the bottom. I fell on black ice two weeks ago and fractured my rib.

Good lord, Woofmama, I didn't know that. I'm so sorry, and I hope it heals quickly. Does it hurt dreadfully?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1389395231|3590589 said:
I don't have a mink coat, but I have a few vintage astrakhan-with-mink ... I consider them to be the warmest things I own (i.e., it has not gotten cold enough for me to go astrakhan this winter, and it was six degrees farenheit in NY). I might wear my shortie above-the-waist astrakhan/mink jacket with the just-below-the-elbow sleeves in forty degree weather, but nothing heavier.

BTW, I'm not "going all PC," but I will say ... I think about the objections people might raise when I wear mine, too (with a variety of prepared responses, from the fact that my coats are older than I am to the fact that I have no problem wearing the skins of prey animals: see also, my leather shoes). I tend not to wear mine to places where there might be issues. Like, old guard Upper East Side? Sure! Hippie-friendly Williamsburg? Not so much. If it's a thing that's on your mind, as might be implied by the caveat, maybe it's as important to think of what sorts of areas you plan to be in as what the weather will be like ....

Ha, she'll be fine. I can't think of many neighborhoods there where she'd be totally out of place in fur. I think there's some day-after-Thanksgiving march on the Mag Mile protesting fur, but that's all I recall from my years spent there. I remember a lot of ladies wearing their furs to work when it got downright bitter outside.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nonie, I live in Chicago and I've got four minks and a Persian lamb. This weekend is not likely to be the weather for fur in the windy city. Temperature-wise you would likely be fine with a swing (button up if you're cold, unbutton if you're hot), but as Monnie mentioned, we're getting rained on. I'm sure you know (having lived here before with fur) that a damp fur is miserable to deal with, not to mention really bad for the pelts. My dead animals will be firmly ensconced in my closet this weekend, keeping each other company, while I go about town in my Northface. Have a good time though!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1389395301|3590590 said:
woofmama|1389394923|3590587 said:

Good lord, Woofmama, I didn't know that. I'm so sorry, and I hope it heals quickly. Does it hurt dreadfully?

Thanks Circe, I'm okay :)) The first week after it happened I had a hard time sleeping but feel much better. Only hurts now if I laugh, cough, sneeze, etc. I'm functional now! Second time this year I wiped out. The first time the dog pulled me down and I was hurt much worse. I went like 30 yrs without injury then twice in one year, WTH!!! :shock:

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the input. We don't arrive until late Sat night and it looks like we should be ok until we leave on TH. I'll throw a rain jacket in, just in case. I'm trying to pack light so we only need to check one bag. It burns me to pay an extra $25! We will be staying downtown on Chestnut, a block or so from the Water Tower. I used to live on N State Pkwy. I hope the weather cooperates so I can walk my old neighborhood.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be too cold out for anyone to really care.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear fur downtown. I'm also in the burbs and the ice is terrible!

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
We arrived last night. We do have to watch where we step. There is water and if you don't pay attention the ice under the water will put you on your behind. I just love this city and miss living here.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
When it's cold, I wear fur {lynx or mink}. I wear it with jeans and boots. The only time I won't wear it is if I have to go out of the house and am wearing my dreaded velour track suits. They don't go with fur at all, IMO. But for me, warmth is the key issue. Sometimes I wear long underwear under my jeans!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results