shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on my antique ring...?

boopiehead

Rough_Rock
I was given a ring that belonged to my great grandmother. When my Mother went to possibly see about getting it resized so I could wear it she was told by the jeweler that it contained old mine-cut diamonds. She took it to another jeweler that couldn't even put a value on it because they had never seen anything like it. One of the jewelers mentioned that the diamonds were not secure in the setting and that it would be quite expensive to get them secured because of the type of setting that they are in. I still plan to take the ring to a couple different appraisers but thought I would see if I could find out any information here first.

The last appraisal on it is from 1980 and it states that it is 14k white gold, something about a half round shank. It contains 8 round single cut .01 1/2 carat stones and one round brilliant cut .10 carat stone in the center. It was valued at $575 in 1980. The appraisal has no mention of the diamonds being old mine cut diamonds. But three jewelers have stated that that is what they are. I have attached some photos. What do you think? Thank you!

20140111_212328.jpg

20140111_212421.jpg

20140111_212506.jpg

20140111_212650.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need a really clear picture or photo of the centre diamond because I can't tell if it is a round modern brilliant or an old cut from your photos. The surrounding stones look like single cuts so the valuation you have is possibly correct. Lots of people including jewellers who have no clue call everything old mine cuts, I had a woman who works in a jewellery store call my OEC a rose cut repeatedly, so just because they have said that to you doesn't mean it is true. And the jeweller that did the valuation in 1980 that called it a round brilliant also could have mislabelled a transitional or an Old European cut diamond. The setting it is in doesn't look really really old oddly enough, but maybe it is, you need to take some more pictures of it.

Do you have a loupe and an Iphone? If so it is a great way to get a close up of the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results