shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO, was our Presidents flirting?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if the wives were upset over "flirting" or over their inappropriate behavior at what is supposed to be a solemn occasion. I wouldn't dream of chatting it up and taking selfies at a funeral!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bored DF? I guess it IS something do do at least - being the poster child for everything that is wrong with the state of American "journalism" and those who eagerly consume it. :rolleyes:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know if they were flirting but most Xhosa (Mandela was Xhosa) people I've spoken to about the funeral didn't even bring up the selfies or the chatting.

Xhosa funerals are a celebration of life. They're not a sombre occasion at all. Yeah, there's some sadness and crying but there's also dancing.

Interestingly, we don't talk about being buried - Xhosa aren't buried, they're planted.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't know that it would be considered flirting, but taking a selfie was definitely in poor taste in my opinion even if it was done at a "celebration" of life...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
There's plenty wrong with American journalism for DF or anybody to be dismayed about. Celebration of life or not, it's rude & incredibly immature of all 3 of them to be off in their own little laugh-y world while someone is speaking at at any ritual. (Weddings are even more about Life & even a kid wouldn't do that there.) And yeah, Michelle obviously thought they were flirting and inappropriate because she moved in between them. Take a look at the thunder on her face. This perennial teenager is a humiliation.

--- Laurie

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
IIRC the photographer that got the initial "shot heard round the world" about the selfie, already said that the wives didn't care, were focused on other things, and barely noticed what was going on, they just happened to capture their faces in a horrible pose at that moment, but everyone is making a huge stink over nothing. He said he was there, there was no wifely anger or disappointment, and it's ridiculous and sad that this perception is overshadowing the reality.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously the newspaper is making way more of it than they should but personally I think it was in poor taste to take a picture like that (smiling, laughing and looking like they were having fun) during the services. There is a time and place, yanno?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1389375363|3590386 said:
Don't know if they were flirting but most Xhosa (Mandela was Xhosa) people I've spoken to about the funeral didn't even bring up the selfies or the chatting.

Xhosa funerals are a celebration of life. They're not a sombre occasion at all. Yeah, there's some sadness and crying but there's also dancing.

Interestingly, we don't talk about being buried - Xhosa aren't buried, they're planted.

I love that Trekkie. That's a lovely way of looking at it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1389381288|3590444 said:
IIRC the photographer that got the initial "shot heard round the world" about the selfie, already said that the wives didn't care, were focused on other things, and barely noticed what was going on, they just happened to capture their faces in a horrible pose at that moment, but everyone is making a huge stink over nothing. He said he was there, there was no wifely anger or disappointment, and it's ridiculous and sad that this perception is overshadowing the reality.
When they came home he got on his knees bagging forgiveness... ;))

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And the best behaved of them all was...Bill Clinton! :lol:

Seriously, though, much ado about nothing. Perhaps the selfie happened before the services began. Who knows? Who cares?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1389381288|3590444 said:

Pretty much my point and you see it here. Those who already hate Obama read massive evil/disrespectful intent in his actions and display gleeful schadenfreude at his wife's perceived reaction. It was reported on strictly to reinforce what some people already think of them. Not to mention that everyone is applying their own cultural yardstick to a culture not their own. Westerners are supposed to be all solemn. As others have pointed out, death and the activities around it are apparently a bit different in Mandela's culture. And hasn't anyone here ever been to an Irish wake? I shudder to think of the rush to judgement of an out-of-context snapshot from one of THOSE.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read that the photographer who took the picture said that Michelle was not bugged, but I sure think it looks like she was. If your husband was chatting with other people and you were sitting right next to him, it would be natural to at least look like you were interested in what was going on. She looks ticked and in the very least, so uninterested.

The Bush's body language looks like they are none to happy with each other at that moment. They are leaning as far away from each other as possible in one of the pics.

All that to say, they are just like the rest of us, who occasionally find our spouses a bit annoying and irritating.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
ericad|1389383831|3590472 said:

Nah, he's a professional. He knows how to keep it off camera.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1389383831|3590472 said:
B/c Monica wasn't present... :wink2:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Where the hell does this idea that men and women can't get along platonically come from? More than half of my friends are male. More than half of my husband's friends are female. We're probably split 50-50 in the workplace. Approximately 1% of those interactions are even vaguely flirty. AND YET, the dominant paradigm is of people gettin' it on left, right, and center. Do other people lead more interesting lives? Or, more likely, is this what happens when we're enjoying a collective cultural hangover from a really polarized culture, when with women in the home and men in the workplace, where the only time they DID meet was to screw around?

P.S. - I have no comment on the funeral circumstances. But I think Trekkie is probably more on the ball than any of us, culturally.

P.P.S. - I love Michelle Obama. A lot. This is not an insult. But as somebody who has noticed much the same phenomenon of looking massively ticked off in candid photos when I'm really just thinking my thoughts - going over my to-do list, wondering how to present my ideas at the next meeting, deciding between ivory and greige for the drapes, whatever (YES THAT WAS SARCASM, with me it would be scarlet and peacock) - I suspect that Mrs. President and I share a condition. That condition is:

chronic_bitchface.jpg

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I think that there are degrees with flirting that are fine. If much of romance comes from our interactions, it stands to reason flirtatious moments will inevitably happen through our interactions with others. However, the Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt appears to flirt for Denmark. I find the most offensive part of it is that Michelle Obama is completely left out. Some light-hearted interaction that included her would have been far more appropriate at this occasion. Had the three of them been on their own I'd have probably thought it endearing that that these politicians took some moments out for some fun.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would have to know what they were saying to be able to determine if it was flirty and not just the sharing of an upbeat anecdote.
I can say that if anyone shows up at my funeral I would rather they smile and joke amongst themselves than be bored and sour.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
VapidLapid|1389414027|3590743 said:
I would have to know what they were saying to be able to determine if it was flirty and not just the sharing of an upbeat anecdote.
I can say that if anyone shows up at my funeral I would rather they smile and joke amongst themselves than be bored and sour.

You must have never lost a loved one. I never once thought that the people at the funerals of my loved ones were bored or sour. I appreciated that they were sad, like me, because our lives were changed forever with the departure of our loved one.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
braga123|1389421403|3590801 said:
VapidLapid|1389414027|3590743 said:

You must have never lost a loved one. I never once thought that the people at the funerals of my loved ones were bored or sour. I appreciated that they were sad, like me, because our lives were changed forever with the departure of our loved one.

That is extremely presumptuous, as is assuming that every person and every culture must react to death exactly like you.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The point isn't about >>>gasp!<<<< naughty flirting. It's about the 3 of them behaving like wise-ass kids in the back of the classroom. We should expect some dignity from heads of state. No objection to their screwing around in more private circumstances. No objection even to their talking to each other right there. But the body language says plenty -- sprawling out, obviously indifferent to everything around them, is coarse.

Michelle did what I would've done: "Behave yourselves or you'll sit in the car till this is over."

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Obama's flirtatious relationship with the Danish leader has been reported in our Australian newspapers prior to this memorial event.
There is usually a sentence or two of fun to be had in describing Michelle Obama's isolation from the animated pair.
This interaction was also reported on in a similar vein.
From the photos there did seem quite a lot of touchie feelie, praps more than if the two leaders were, say, male friends at a state occasion. And yes, Michelle seems notable for her lack of involvement.
Of course the photographers know to keep a close eye because this isn't the first story that's been run on these two lol.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be surprised if they were flirting. But last I heard that wasn't against the law.
I think the thing that impressed me most, not just those pictures but those on the jet, was that there is a small number of people, who are extremely influential (and usually very wealthy). Whether they are republican or democrat, American or other nationality, they have a lot more in common with each other, than they do, say with someone of the same political affiliation from the same country, who does not run in those circles. but I guess that is a symptom of the increasing economic disparity happening in the US and everywhere.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1389442294|3590872 said:
The point isn't about >>>gasp!<<<< naughty flirting. It's about the 3 of them behaving like wise-ass kids in the back of the classroom. We should expect some dignity from heads of state. No objection to their screwing around in more private circumstances. No objection even to their talking to each other right there. But the body language says plenty -- sprawling out, obviously indifferent to everything around them, is coarse.

Michelle did what I would've done: "Behave yourselves or you'll sit in the car till this is over."

Thank you. My first reaction when seeing this was Oh, grow up". Michelle as rightfully pissed {if that is the case, we'll never know} I can't stand the guy myself and things like this just seal the deal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results