shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking of (car) dings...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1389223568|3589144 said:
I'd email him one last time. Tell him it's your last email to him directly. Your next action will be through small claim's court. He has by such and such date to respond, otherwise you will file.

Now, whether or not you actually file a claim is up to you (probably not worth it over $80), but it's worth the last ditch effort. If he doesn't respond to this he will probably never respond.

For everyone saying that $80 isn't a lot of money- I disagree. Maybe not to you, but to a lot of people it is a lot of money. If you are making the federal minimum wage, that's more than you'd make in a day's work. What if he had hit someone who only made $8 an hour? Should he then be forced to pay since to that person $80 is significant?
Not worth the time or effort to go to small claims court.

To me, it's a lot of money, that's groceries to me, but I'd assume at this point that if he hasn't contacted you back about it, he's probably not going to pony up the money, so fretting over it is a waste of time and your mental resources. I've done far stupider things that have cost me over $80. Is it crappy, absolutely. But if you give him this break, tell him to pay it forward, and rest assured that you're putting out good karma into the world.

Filing a claim with insurance is just asinine. $80 is likely less than half of the deductible. So what the heck would be the point?!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1389226960|3589173 said:
I'd email him one last time. Tell him it's your last email to him directly. Your next action will be through small claim's court. He has by such and such date to respond, otherwise you will file.

Now, whether or not you actually file a claim is up to you (probably not worth it over $80), but it's worth the last ditch effort. If he doesn't respond to this he will probably never respond.

For everyone saying that $80 isn't a lot of money- I disagree. Maybe not to you, but to a lot of people it is a lot of money. If you are making the federal minimum wage, that's more than you'd make in a day's work. What if he had hit someone who only made $8 an hour? Should he then be forced to pay since to that person $80 is significant?

To me, it's a lot of money, that's groceries to me, but I'd assume at this point that if he hasn't contacted you back about it, he's probably not going to pony up the money, so fretting over it is a waste of time and your mental resources. I've done far stupider things that have cost me over $80. Is it crappy, absolutely. But if you give him this break, tell him to pay it forward, and rest assured that you're putting out good karma into the world.

Filing a claim with insurance is just asinine. $80 is likely less than half of the deductible. So what the heck would be the point?!

I agree it's not worth the time to go to small claims court. That doesn't mean it isn't worth the threat.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ, I didn't mean to sound like I was un-sympathetic to your plight. There was a time that I would have fought and fought just because it was wrong, so I really do understand. There was also a time that $80 would have meant a huge dent in my budget. What is closer to the truth, is what Freke said, that I've done far stupider things that have cost me more than $80. I think that makes it a little easier to let go of. Plus, I am older now ( :-o ) so I think I just have a different perspective. I really hope it works out for you and the guy pays you what he owes.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1389232855|3589234 said:

CJ, I didn't mean to sound like I was un-sympathetic to your plight. There was a time that I would have fought and fought just because it was wrong, so I really do understand. There was also a time that $80 would have meant a huge dent in my budget. What is closer to the truth, is what Freke said, that I've done far stupider things that have cost me more than $80. I think that makes it a little easier to let go of. Plus, I am older now ( :-o ) so I think I just have a different perspective. I really hope it works out for you and the guy pays you what he owes.

I totally understand where you are coming from @luv2sparkle, thank you, and everyone else, Freke and JulieN.

I want to say that I do appreciate everyone's input, even if it sounds like (or isn't) worth pursuing, because everyone is different and an idea is and idea. Sometimes people DO choose to go to small claims over the principle...

SignedMe

Rough_Rock
I get where you're coming from Luv2Sparkle. No one can go around damaging other people's property and then just "disappear" and take the "oh well, not my problem" stance. That's not the real world and the price, be it $80 or $8000, is really besides the point. It's disrespectful, it's unlawful and it's irresponsible. It's not his place to decide if you need the money or to withhold it.

Now, if you and your husband decided that, you know what, it's $80.00 and obviously this guy is struggling to set his life up and we can comfortably afford to cover it, so we'll do the generous thing and forgive the issue ... that's a really kind approach and very respectable and guaranteed, the good you put out would come back to you.

I guess, if it were me, I'd really weigh the situation out. Is $80.00 worth the headache of going to court and hoping that I'd collect? Nope. Not for me. I'd send him one last e-mail and just say "Listen, for whatever reason you're avoiding this situation and I can only assume it's because you don't have the money. I can understand that, times are tough. This is the last time you'll hear from me because I'm not going to chase you forever over $80.00. If someday you are able to pay, and want to pay because it really is the right thing to do, here is my address. If not, just please be more careful when you're opening your door." And then, for my own peace of mind, I'd let it go.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
[Sometimes people DO choose to go to small claims over the principle...[/quote]

I would consider this very carefully before choosing to take it to small claims. Stuff like this is not appreciated by the court system. In general, people become very frustrated by having to entertain cases like these that are considered to be a waste of time and resources and a burden on taxpayers.

I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction and are able to find peace with this situation. No matter what happens, the only one who can choose to be at peace is you. You can not let your peace be dependent upon the actions of others. Others seldom do as you would hope/expect.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to give you all a quick update.

Last night I sent him an email, like I had planned to, saying something along the lines of that I wasn't hearing from him and thought maybe it was because he had put a check in the mail, but that I hadn't received anything, so for him to let me know so I didn't have to wonder or feel like I had to chase him down.

No response.

But today I went to the mailbox and...

There was a $40 check from him with a note just saying sorry.

:appl:

I am happy on so many levels. I'm happy I was patient, I'm happy he did the right thing, I'm happy we have at least half our money back right now.

I'm actually thinking that if he sends the other $40 I may send him like a $5 Dunkin Donuts or Startbucks card with a "thank you" note. I'm just so thankful he did the right thing. It's really nice.

Just wanted to update you all - you guys helped me stay patient, and also think about other possible next steps.

I'll keep you updated when I (hopefully) get the other $40.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1389362740|3590240 said:
[Sometimes people DO choose to go to small claims over the principle...

I would consider this very carefully before choosing to take it to small claims. Stuff like this is not appreciated by the court system. In general, people become very frustrated by having to entertain cases like these that are considered to be a waste of time and resources and a burden on taxpayers.

I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction and are able to find peace with this situation. No matter what happens, the only one who can choose to be at peace is you. You can not let your peace be dependent upon the actions of others. Others seldom do as you would hope/expect.

Good point Sparklies. I had not thought of that, and although I did look up how much it is to file a claim ($55) it was more about knowing all my options for now.

I don't think I would actually through with it because if there's anything I value, is my time...

Sending the guy several emails and following up takes time, but it's still fairly easy/quick to do. Going to court, driving there, etc. - I'd have to really feel it was worth it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, glad you got partial payment! That's great news. Have a good weekend!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results