carat
color
clarity

Does ring size reflect body type/size?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1389293420|3589656 said:
My ring size doesn't reflect my body type and size, and it actually stays the same even when my weight fluctuates. I wear a size 5 ring, but I'm 5'10" and I now weigh 155. Pre-pregnancy I weighed between 160 and 170, and I went all the way up to 215 lbs by the end of my pregnancy, yet my rings fit me throughout.

I wear my grandmother's ring as a RHR, it fit her perfectly and it fits me perfectly. She was barely 5' tall and probably weighed about 80 lbs at her heaviest.

Same-ish. I'm 5'10", close to that weight range (and had a baby around the same time). My ring size has always stayed at a 7. Hasn't changed since high school.

Momhappy mentioned averages. I agree. Jewelers (to my knowledge) stock rings in 6's or 6.5's. That has to based on an average, yes?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1389333896|3590107 said:
arkieb1|1389333498|3590103 said:
dk168|1389322711|3589992 said:
I am chunky/chubby, being 5'2"/157cm weighing about 161ib/73.2kg on a good day, and have small hands (Size 6/6.5 gloves) with chubby fingers. My middle right hand finger is currently size 10.5!

So yes, I believe body size and ring size are related.

DK :))

I am shorter than you, and chunky/chubby and weigh about the same. And I have a size 4.75 ring finger, hopefully proving that finger size has NOTHING to do with body size or type. Back when I was in my 20s and weighed literally half of what I do now my ring finger was a size 4.

I will say as a generalisation that Asian women generally have much smaller sized fingers (and many are petite all over) including the ones on this forum and before I get jumped on for being racist, I am half Asian.

This backs up what I was trying to convey - your bone structure, which remains unchanged, does directly impact your finger size. Despite weighing twice what you used to, your ring size has only increased by 3/4 of a size, because your slender bones are still, well, slender. The sizing is only minimally impacted by the amount of weight you are carrying on a pre-set frame.

I agree with you Ginger, I think it has more to do with a persons "structure" or genetic makeup and frame rather than body type, because again you can have dumpy or overweight women with tiny fingers and thin women with huge hands and fingers. My petite grandmother has severe arthritis this is an outside factor that makes her ring size much bigger. And I think as you tend to get older you have kids, put on kgs, go up a in ring sizing, then as you age again, your knuckles get bigger and your hands and fingers in some cases shrink in size....

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am 5' 6 and weigh 150lbs. My ring size is a US 5, a UK size K.
My little sister is 5' 4 and weighs a bigger 210lbs. Her ring size is a tiny UK H (not sure what that is in the US?).
My big sister is also 5' 4 and weighs a slight 120lbs. Her ring size is a UK M (again not sure of the US equivalent?)

We are all different sizes & weights, but our ring sizes don't follow the trend you would expect.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it is simply the bone structure of the hand alone. I don't think a size 4 would fit on my finger if I were a skeleton! I have short plump fingers. At ideal thin weight, I was a size 6.5 at age 21 when I got married. At age 51, and not at ideal weight :wink2: , I'm now a 7 to 7.5. My youngest daughter is quite petite in every way, and her ring finger is a 6, same as her shoe size. Maybe hands are more related to foot size? LOL.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a chunky/chubby Chinese here, much to my mum's annoyance!!!

She nags me about my weight all the time, and I am nearly 50!

DK :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Isn't the "average" finger size 5 or 6?

My guess is the jeweler went somewhere around average size. That way, s/he would have had a good probability of getting it right. ;-)

Anne

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results