shape
carat
color
clarity

What eReader to get?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am finally taking the plunge and getting an eReader (before my bookshelves take over the world). Does anyone have recommendations, warnings or horror stories?

I am thinking of going with a Kindle, because of the huge selection Amazon offers and since I can add other files using third party services. I am undecided between the Paperwhite (because of eInk instead of the usual screen) or getting a Fire (because of all the other apps and uses).

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I really like my Paperwhite and find the reading experience to be great. I do not enjoy reading books on the Fire nearly so much it's too big/heavy and not as nice on my eyes, but the Fire is handy for all the other apps and internet access. The display is gorgeous:)

If you are a heavy reader, I would go for the Paperwhite, but know that you'll be using a tablet or laptop for surfing the web, etc.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use my ipad for webstuff and games, so my kindle is strictly a reader --- and I far prefer reading on the kindle to the iPad (all personal preference, I realize) but I find the Kindle lighter.

One downside of the version that I have (which is 2 years old...) is that it is not backlit, so you do need to read w proper lighting. I love taking it on vacation and reading on the beach - it is easily readable, no glare, no 'blinding reflection', totally readable in bright sun. Mine holds a charge for what seems like forever (compared to the iPad) and the selection at Amazon is VAST! I have yet to figure out how to borrow library books over the wifi system, but that's another source for books too.

Good luck!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had five Kindles to experiment with. The Paperwhite has the prettier screen - I love the crisp white look of it and having it exclusively for books keeps me from becoming distracted and checking FB or other websites - which is why I always have both an e-reader and a KF. I found that I use my KF almost ONLY for movies, TV, and some web surfing. I will say that the new KF HDX (I just got this one a few weeks ago) is pretty much the best for looking online, so if you decide to go with a KF so you can use the apps/web browsing, get the HDX. It's almost like having a tablet... but, it's only good like that if you have self control. I strongly recommend getting one of each and see what you personally think of them. (and I still buy more used books than read on my Paperwhite...I'm can't get past the love of collecting books & having pretty covers!)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm on my 2nd Kindle. First time I bought the one with the big screen but now have the paperwhite. Love it! Lady D, if you love to read and read a lot, then I recommend going with a dedicated reader and forget about all the bells & whistles with the Fire. Paperwhite is so easy on the eyes and I love that I can read in bed without using a table lamp and listening to hubby grumble about sleep disturbance :bigsmile:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds like the Paperwhite is best, then! I am really planning on using it mainly as a reader so both the weight and the easiness on eyes aspects are really important. It is good to know that you guys are happy with it. I was still a bit hesitant, with all the different models and choices out there.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1389041619|3587668 said:
Sounds like the Paperwhite is best, then! I am really planning on using it mainly as a reader so both the weight and the easiness on eyes aspects are really important. It is good to know that you guys are happy with it. I was still a bit hesitant, with all the different models and choices out there.

It's very light and small. The actual screen is smaller than the size of a page of a trade paperback and that is the only thing that is kind of distracting to me. It feels like I'm constantly turning the page.

Overall, though, I've found I read books more quickly on e-readers, which is nice, but if you have a serious obsession w/collecting books, there is a chance you won't be able to overcome collecting. ;)) Even with my Kindles, I have books stacked up waiting for another bookcase. My DH is obsessed with electronics and purchased two of my Kindles for me...probably a hint that I need to stop buying books.

SignedMe

Rough_Rock
If you're looking for a dedicated eReader, go with the Kindle (paper white or the regular $69.00 Kindle works just fine) ... if you want the ability to multitask, go for the Fire or a tablet. I've had a Kindle since the beginning and I cannot read on my tablet, the backlight bothers my eyes and since it's not uncommon for me read for hours at time, the Kindle fits my needs perfectly.

Any tablet, save for the Nook, will offer you the Kindle Reading App ... it's free. So don't feel like if you opt for a tablet over an eReader you NEED the Fire, you don't. It's a worthy option, but if you like the Samsung or Apple, either of those will work just the same. I personally didn't like the Fire. I'm a huge Amazon person, but the black screen and carousal never appealed to me. I have the iPad Mini which is pricier, but fits my other-than-reading needs better than the Fire did.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MC|1389042103|3587674 said:

It's very light and small. The actual screen is smaller than the size of a page of a trade paperback and that is the only thing that is kind of distracting to me. It feels like I'm constantly turning the page.

Overall, though, I've found I read books more quickly on e-readers, which is nice, but if you have a serious obsession w/collecting books, there is a chance you won't be able to overcome collecting. ;)) Even with my Kindles, I have books stacked up waiting for another bookcase. My DH is obsessed with electronics and purchased two of my Kindles for me...probably a hint that I need to stop buying books.

I am just trying to slow down the rate of acquisition! Some books need to be a physical hard copy ;)) However, I am hoping that fiction and general non fiction (which I read several books a month) can go digital.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Kindle Paperwhite gets my vote!
I had a nook, I have an iPad. And I have a kindle Paperwhite.
I never really loved the Nook.
I like the size of the iPad because as someone said, I too feel like I'm constantly turning page.
But I LOVE the fact that I can read the kindle in the sun. It really bothers me that on the iPad I can't see the screen in the sun, especially if I'm wearing sunglasses.
So I read inside on the IPad and travel outside with the Kindle. I like that the kindle app let's me keep my books synched.
The kindle is slightly better for toting about also.
For just reading I would go with the Kindle Paperwhite.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The paperwhite is intriguing for reading novels etc, but... does it include a color display at all?

For example, if I wanted to download a travel guide, would it show the maps and photos in color?

Thanks!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I just got the new kindle fire HDX too and I like it much better than my iPad. The screen is the most amazing I've ever seen and the 8.9 is the best combination of size and weight of any tablet available IMO. I agree though that it depends on how you will use it. I use mine for web browsing, movies and reading. If I were only interesting in reading then I would choose the paper white.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I :love: :love: :love: LOVE :love: :love: :love: my kindle paperwhite. It is my second kindle. I load some books on my ipad like cookbooks or how-to kind of books. I love my kindle so much that I have purchased multiple power sources to charge it in case I am ever without power. It is my absolute favorite tech thing ever. I have thousands of books that I purchased for a small amount or got for free.

I also love the cover that you can purchase for it. I like that it wakes it up for me. It is so small in my purse and I carry it with me everywhere. My DH has one as well but he doesn't use a cover with it.

If you sign up for E-reader girl, you will get an email with free and discounted books every couple of days. I think you can sign up for the genre you are interested in.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1389059836|3587871 said:
The paperwhite is intriguing for reading novels etc, but... does it include a color display at all?

For example, if I wanted to download a travel guide, would it show the maps and photos in color?

Thanks!

The paperwhite doesn't have a color screen. The advantage to this is the battery lasts forever if you turn your wifi off when you're not downloading anything. For color images, you would use the Kindle Fire. I bought a book on home organization and browsed that on my KF. My house isn't any more organized, though... sigh!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1389050594|3587759 said:
MC|1389042103|3587674 said:

I am just trying to slow down the rate of acquisition! Some books need to be a physical hard copy ;)) However, I am hoping that fiction and general non fiction (which I read several books a month) can go digital.

Yeah, I've done some post-reading buying...so, if I enjoyed a book that I read on my Kindle a lot (like it turns into a fav of mine), I'll hunt down a physical copy to add to my bookcase. I love looking back at books that I've read and enjoyed.

carabella

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for the kindle paper white! It's great. Also have an iPad and really like the kindle best for just reading.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't get one. I have tried 4 different Nooks. Including the one that is basically the same as the Paperwhite Kindle.
I just use the Nook and Kindle Apps on my phone or the tablet.

The Nook App is significantly better than the Kindle App. But Amazon's pricing can be better for some books. So for me, I just keep libraries with both vendors. And I like not having a 'dedicated' device.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite features of the paperwhite is that it knows your reading speed and tells you how long you have until you finish the chapter and also the book. I have found that so helpful and fun.

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
I love my paperwhite. BUT ... I no longer borrow e-books from my library, as I did with my Fire. I think it can be done by connecting a USB cable to the computer from the paperwhite, but I've not done it. With the Fire it was easy.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

I had to chime in. I'm on my second Kindle, (Paperwhite). I love it.

And the return policy on e-books is 7 days! I think it's the only company that offers that!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I ordered my Paperwhite! As I was placing the order, my fiance was looking over my shoulder and asked me to get him one, too. So two Kindles will be waiting for me when I get to my hotel in the US.

By the way, if anyone is in Scottsdale and wants to meet for some coffee, just let me know!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun, Lady Disdain! Enjoy your trip. Scottsdale is a lovely city!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1389227163|3589175 said:
I ordered my Paperwhite! As I was placing the order, my fiance was looking over my shoulder and asked me to get him one, too. So two Kindles will be waiting for me when I get to my hotel in the US.

By the way, if anyone is in Scottsdale and wants to meet for some coffee, just let me know!

Yay, be sure to post the title of the first book you download to your Paperwhite! :)) Us book lovers would want to know.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't believe you're taking the plunge, LD! I remember the photos of your beautiful bookshelves.

I can't wait to hear what you think.

I've had my Kindle since 2009ish and I use it for around 10% of my reading, I'd say. My sister is a heavy Kindle user so she lends me a lot of books, as does my library, which is wonderful.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My bookshelves aren't going anywhere (well, except moving with me)! After several years of paring down, those are the books I can't live without :bigsmile:

One of my criteria for the new apartment is: my shelves have to fit, it has to have an appropriate room for my studio and it has to have a nice breeze and indirect sunlight. Everything else I can deal with.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that they're into 2nd generation, I ordered a Paperwhite for myself this week. On Tuesday night we had a 3 hour power failure. I couldn't read my regular, very old Kindle without a light. So I opted for the one I can read in the dark. I don't use any apps., I use the device strictly for reading books. I don't borrow books from the library. I hope it is as easy on the eyes as it is hyped to be!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results