color
clarity

There Are 8 Superior Cultural Groups, According to Tiger Mom

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: There Are 8 Superior Cultural Groups, According to Tiger

SignedMe|1388988211|3587270 said:
In her eyes she didn't sell out. To her, this book, as well as the one that proceeds it, are her truths.

Do we, actually, know this to be true? How can anyone know she didn't plan this as a publicity stunt to sell books while knowing the content of her book is rubbish? That is what I believe!

AGBF
:read:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well my sister is taking a job as a home health aid (taking care of people who are house bound). That is everything from making their meals to moving and dressing them, cleaning out ports, etc. I think she will make $8-10 an hour. I live in NC and the teachers are among the worse paid in the US for the amount of training they are required to do. Even "valued" jobs are paid poorly. And as far as fast food franchises, if they can structure things so they can make millions in profits and people are willing to pay for the convenience/taste, they need to structure their business to pay for the labor involved.

I do agree if there is some way for people to double dip or take advantage of welfare, those loopholes should be closed.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Like Deb, I think its just a way to make $$. Is it racist? Yes. Is it offensive? Yes.

But, these things exist--Bill O'Riley, Pat Robertson, and others spread as much offensive and racist material. Its actually interesting for me to see groups that are often marginalized or in American culture to be presented as "superior"--I don't think the same nor have I read her book, but it is interesting.

Is it stirring up racial tension? The book may contribute to a greater dislike of those "superior cultural groups," so it definitely may be problematic, but usually, those who are racist just are, and will use whatever commentator or source supports them regardless, so I imagine the book will probably do little.

SignedMe

Rough_Rock

AGBF|1389197612|3588867 said:
SignedMe|1388988211|3587270 said:
In her eyes she didn't sell out. To her, this book, as well as the one that proceeds it, are her truths.

Do we, actually, know this to be true? How can anyone know she didn't plan this as a publicity stunt to sell books while knowing the content of her book is rubbish? That is what I believe!

AGBF
:read:

Do we actually know? Of course not, but we also cannot know that she sees these views as "rubbish" either. We can simply take her at her word and draw our own conclusions from the things she's said publicly. Frankly, I find her to be almost out of her mind. These views she's now selling do not surprise in the least. Some people are just backwards.

NF books like this are often sold as a pitch rather than a finished book, I'm sure you know. Which means not only was an acquisitions editor involved, but the entire panel was called and a round table ensued to weigh the book against others and fight for it. Not to mention there was agent and that agents reputation was also on the line. There are more people involved in this book that just the author, enough people that if it were a grandiose scam someone would pick up on it. Following the Frey scandal of years past, the wagons have been circled.

Could it be that she is an opportunist? Eager to cash in on controversial views and perpetrate more to keep the machine oiled? Of course. Of course she could be. Obviously she has much to gain from just such a thing. So it's possible. But I think, given what others have written about this woman and what has been written by this woman herself, she actually does believe the diatribe she sells oddly (and sadly) enough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results