shape
carat
color
clarity

Bronchitis. Anyone else out there dealing with it?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I've had it for about two weeks now. It started with a virus right before Christmas and just sort of settled in my chest. I'm on antibiotics, Q
var, Pro Air when needed and almost finished with a steroid pack. I know that even though it still doesn't feel like I'm getting enough air that I am because I have one of those pea flow meter things. But I'm just totally fed up and tired ( probably because I'm too uncomfortable to sleep). A walk to the store still leaves me coughing and tired. How long does this usually last?

Know any good home remedies?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I have had three bouts of it. Mine lasted about a month before I started to feel better. Sleeping was the worst. Most nights I had to sleep in a chair because laying flat would make me cough more and it was hard to breathe. Last time I coughed so hard I actually hurt my ribs. I remember feeling very fatigued where I could not walk more than a few steps before I had to sit down. And the weezing was awful.

I would recommend Mucinex (sp) because it breaks up the cough rather than suppress it like other cough medicines did to me.

Stay hydrated. Try to sleep. A lot of pillows may help so you are not lying flat or even raise the front of your bed.

My doctor told me some people are prone to it and recommends the flu shot.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
steam.
boil some water.
remove from stove.
add pine/fir essential oil, some tea tree oil, perhaps some sage as well. NOT A LOT!
lavender is a fav of mine.
place head over pot and put a towel over your head like a tent to keep the steam in.
DO NOT BURN YOURSELF OR THE LINING OF YOUR NOSE!
do this many times during the day.

yeah, I know this is in your chest but surprisingly this helps to keep everything moist.

there are a lot of other things I take that are herbal and some are preventative.

there is a lot of info out there and there are good Chinese formulas put out by Plum Flower.

the problem now is that even if you start doing something herbal you won't know if it was that or the western meds kicking in that helped.

I used to suffer with bronchitis on a regular basis many years ago due to allergies and constant sinus issues. some years ago I "went herbal" and found that I just don't get it like I used to. there are things you can take to boost your immune system and things to take at the first signs of "issues".

IK, you like in a great area for getting good info and access to herbs.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1389226956|3589172 said:
I have had three bouts of it. Mine lasted about a month before I started to feel better. Sleeping was the worst. Most nights I had to sleep in a chair because laying flat would make me cough more and it was hard to breathe. Last time I coughed so hard I actually hurt my ribs. I remember feeling very fatigued where I could not walk more than a few steps before I had to sit down. And the weezing was awful.

I would recommend Mucinex (sp) because it breaks up the cough rather than suppress it like other cough medicines did to me.

Stay hydrated. Try to sleep. A lot of pillows may help so you are not lying flat or even raise the front of your bed.

My doctor told me some people are prone to it and recommends the flu shot.
Wow. I will try the pillow thing tonight and the mucinex.
Thanks!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1389230374|3589202 said:
steam.
boil some water.
remove from stove.
add pine/fir essential oil, some tea tree oil, perhaps some sage as well. NOT A LOT!
lavender is a fav of mine.
place head over pot and put a towel over your head like a tent to keep the steam in.
DO NOT BURN YOURSELF OR THE LINING OF YOUR NOSE!
do this many times during the day.

yeah, I know this is in your chest but surprisingly this helps to keep everything moist.

there are a lot of other things I take that are herbal and some are preventative.

there is a lot of info out there and there are good Chinese formulas put out by Plum Flower.

the problem now is that even if you start doing something herbal you won't know if it was that or the western meds kicking in that helped.

I used to suffer with bronchitis on a regular basis many years ago due to allergies and constant sinus issues. some years ago I "went herbal" and found that I just don't get it like I used to. there are things you can take to boost your immune system and things to take at the first signs of "issues".

IK, you like in a great area for getting good info and access to herbs.

Maybe I need to go herbal too! I also have allergies and sinus problems. It gives me hope to hear that it can't be dealt with using alternative methods. I'm so sick of year round steroid sprays.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
P.S. I'll try the steam tonight.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I was just diagnosed with it on Monday, after suffering since Friday night. The coughing is the absolute worst! I'm finally feeling well enough to go back to work tomorrow, but DH is only on day 2 and still fighting the fever. My MD put me on a 5 day dose of Azithromycin and Advair every 12 hours. It's definitely helping. I've never had bronchitis before...and I haven't been this sick in 10 years.

I hope you feel better soon.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
steroid sprays gave me nose bleeds....

I've not been taking anything regularly like I used to do.....and I think the sinus issues are worse so it is time for me to get back onto the herbal wagon.

look into this company: Nature's Sunshine. particularly look at their product called ALJ.

I also get acupuncture regularly and the needles help to relieve the pressure and get the mucus to drain.
if I want to dry the mucus up I use Bayberry which used to be easy to find and is now difficult to locate.

I also stocked up on a product from nature's sunshine that has the now banned ephedra in it which if used wisely is not a health danger.

I don't suppose you still have my yahoo e-mail address?
I have an old one for you that references "pandas".......is it still a good one?

I don't claim to be a medical guru and I certainly think everyone should do their own research before making the same leap I did. in my case, my mother was already big into herbs and I also called the owner of nature's sunshine. that all started the ball rolling as I took a few classes, read lots, researched more, and put together what works for me. if I lived in SF I'd find a good Chinese medicine practioner......an alternative if to find one or more really good knowledgeable people who work in a good store. it also helps that SCruz county is loaded with alternative medical types! but they are also available in SF.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1389231810|3589215 said:
Yes. I was just diagnosed with it on Monday, after suffering since Friday night. The coughing is the absolute worst! I'm finally feeling well enough to go back to work tomorrow, but DH is only on day 2 and still fighting the fever. My MD put me on a 5 day dose of Azithromycin and Advair every 12 hours. It's definitely helping. I've never had bronchitis before...and I haven't been this sick in 10 years.

I hope you feel better soon.

I hope you and your DH recover quickly too. I have spoken to several other people recently who say they are the sickest they've been in years. Clearly there are some really funky bugs going around right now.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1389232272|3589224 said:
steroid sprays gave me nose bleeds....

I've not been taking anything regularly like I used to do.....and I think the sinus issues are worse so it is time for me to get back onto the herbal wagon.

look into this company: Nature's Sunshine. particularly look at their product called ALJ.

I also get acupuncture regularly and the needles help to relieve the pressure and get the mucus to drain.
if I want to dry the mucus up I use Bayberry which used to be easy to find and is now difficult to locate.

I also stocked up on a product from nature's sunshine that has the now banned ephedra in it which if used wisely is not a health danger.

I don't suppose you still have my yahoo e-mail address?
I have an old one for you that references "pandas".......is it still a good one?

I don't claim to be a medical guru and I certainly think everyone should do their own research before making the same leap I did. in my case, my mother was already big into herbs and I also called the owner of nature's sunshine. that all started the ball rolling as I took a few classes, read lots, researched more, and put together what works for me. if I lived in SF I'd find a good Chinese medicine practioner......an alternative if to find one or more really good knowledgeable people who work in a good store. it also helps that SCruz county is loaded with alternative medical types! but they are also available in SF.

No I don't have that email address anymore but I'm on gemologyonline.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooof, I feel for you. Bronchitis sucks something fierce. I've had it quite a few times. I can't think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned tho, I'm sorry! I hope it clears up soon!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have spent the last month on Prednisone, antihistamines, and antibiotics.

Isn't it fun?

I'm finally getting better and you will, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results