shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a TRUE Vintate Art Deco Ring Mounting/Setting

OECeliza6eth

Rough_Rock
With all the reproduction antique ring settings I am having a difficult time searching for a source that has a lot of true antique (preferably art deco) ring mounting/settings. I have a 3.5 OEC diamond engagement ring that my fiance purchased and proposed with last year. The diamond was put in a temporary setting because it originally had a very ornate edwardian setting that just wasn't me. I prefer Art Deco styles without the intense decoratrion in/on the metal. A little filagree is fine but not intense filigree. A do not want a reproduction, sure there are plenty of beautiful ones out there-- but it's not what I want. It is difficult to locate anyone who has a good selection of true antique settings.

Sources I have already used are

ebay-- great store estate1920 with the largest selection I have found to date
Jewels by Erica Grace-- very small selection, not what I am looking for
Ruby lane-- difficult to search for settings/mountings but wasn't able to locate many
Etsy-- full of reporoductions

google-- full of reporoductions- difficult to search without weeding through all the junk.

I am located in NYC, if there is an in-person source anyone has or access to any websites, I would love to hear your recommendations.

Thank you so much!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Looking for a TRUE Vintate Art Deco Ring Mounting/Settin

Can you ask whoever you sold your diamond's original setting to if they have others or know where to find them?

I'd guess that there aren't many out there, especially in the size that you're looking for, because they either get destroyed or whoever removed the diamond from the mount hangs on to it just in case they want to pair them together again.

Try Single Stone, Antique Engagement Rings, and Old World Diamonds. I don't mean checking their website, but calling them to see what else they might have. They may be willing to try to track something down for you if they know what you're looking for.

OECeliza6eth

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the suggestions, I will reach out.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

in NYC, go visit Leigh Jay Nacht on 47th st. www.antiqueengagementrings.com

www.diamondzonejewelry.com is in Chicago but they have a fair amount of original and repro settings worth checking out --- plus Ilya is a total sweetheart to deal with!! They are mydiamondzone on eBay if you prefer to browse there instead.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

It is so hard with vintage settings right now, as they are becoming extremely popular at the moment. I feel like I see a great one come on the market and it is purchased within minutes. :((

I would also check with New York Estate Jewelers in NYC. They are also known as Israelie Rose. Some old time PSers (as years ago) had great luck with antique settings there. Now most ppl just get repos for their diamonds at least that is of my opinion. :blackeye:

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock

OP, have you had any luck finding what you're looking for?

SB621

Ideal_Rock

You should also know that most places will seperate rings for you. For example I just bought an edwardian ring from Jbeg. It was a complete ring with orginal OEC but I didn't want the OEC so they seperated it for me.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What about Langs? Do they sell mountings, or only finished rings?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

What about vendors who sell numerous cuts of diamonds....like Old World Diamonds...they sell stones separately that they've taken out of original settings....

cheers--Sharon

ckh04

Rough_Rock

I am having the same problem, and wonder if I'm in over my head. I tried contacting all the suggested vendors, but they either did not have anything that would fit my stone, or they only sell whole rings and would not remove the diamonds from their settings. My BF proposed last week and we have another week or so to decide if we want to return the diamond and I'm stressing out about finding the setting. I do not want a reproduction, nor do I want to put my OEC in a modern setting. What would you do? Keep searching in hopes that the right setting pops up, or return and get a MRB set in a custom modern setting? Help! :confused:

Hera

Ideal_Rock

ckh04|1382817092|3545172 said:
I am having the same problem, and wonder if I'm in over my head. I tried contacting all the suggested vendors, but they either did not have anything that would fit my stone, or they only sell whole rings and would not remove the diamonds from their settings. My BF proposed last week and we have another week or so to decide if we want to return the diamond and I'm stressing out about finding the setting. I do not want a reproduction, nor do I want to put my OEC in a modern setting. What would you do? Keep searching in hopes that the right setting pops up, or return and get a MRB set in a custom modern setting? Help! :confused:

What mm is the size of your diamond? What style are you looking for (Art deco, Edwardian, not particular etc). What size is your ring finger? budget?

ckh04

Rough_Rock

Hera said:

What mm is the size of your diamond? What style are you looking for (Art deco, Edwardian, not particular etc). What size is your ring finger? budget?

Hera, thank you for your response! My diamond is 7.27x7.54x4.95mm and 1.71 carats. I am not particular, but I know I do like Art Deco and prefer platinum. It doesn't necessarily have to be from a particular period, I just want to find the something that is a true antique to go with my OEC. My finger size is a 4.5. We don't have a budget in mind, as I haven't been able to find any settings at all to price them out.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

ckh04|1382853387|3545442 said:
Hera said:

Hera, thank you for your response! My diamond is 7.27x7.54x4.95mm and 1.71 carats. I am not particular, but I know I do like Art Deco and prefer platinum. It doesn't necessarily have to be from a particular period, I just want to find the something that is a true antique to go with my OEC. My finger size is a 4.5. We don't have a budget in mind, as I haven't been able to find any settings at all to price them out.

Here's a few I found:

This is gorgeous:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Setting-Mounting-Mount-Platinum-Hold-7-5MM-D-12-/171155353405?pt=US_Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item27d9a76f3d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Art-Deco-Engagement-Ring-Setting-Mounting-Mount-18K-Hold-7-5-8mm-Bridal-/171137658922?pt=US_Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item27d899702a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Setting-Mounting-Mount-Platinum-Hold-7MM-1-25CT-/190944205322?pt=US_Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item2c75295a0a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Setting-Mounting-Mount-Hold-7-7-5MM-Vintage-14K-/171153469738?pt=US_Engagement_Ring_Settings&hash=item27d98ab12a

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ckh04

Rough_Rock

Thank you, both! I'm starting to feel a little more hope in my search and am determined not to give up on my antique setting. I am going to take a look at those listings and sellers. If you come across anything else, please post! Thank you!

Paddy730

Rough_Rock

If you're in NYC, try Gray & Davis in the Diamond district. They're open on Saturdays too and very quick to negotiate, even without asking.

They have boxes of settings, literally more than 200 settings in platinum alone, that they will sell and they have a tacklebox of cubics so you can temporarily drop one in to get an idea of how the ring would look with your stone. Most of what they have is in in boxes behind the desk, so be sure to ask.

They'll even take stones out of antique settings.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gray-and-davis-ltd-new-york#query:Antique%20Engagement%20Rings

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hera said:

Put me out of my misery and buy this I LOVE this setting!!!!

http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/schubach-1937-vintage-oec-fb-singlecut-diamonds-wedding-set

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

arkieb1|1388733004|3585384 said:
Hera said:

http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/schubach-1937-vintage-oec-fb-singlecut-diamonds-wedding-set

The listing states that the setting has been sold. OP: Did you buy it? :naughty:

ckh04

Rough_Rock

SparklyOEC|1388853263|3586181 said:
arkieb1|1388733004|3585384 said:
Hera said:

The listing states that the setting has been sold. OP: Did you buy it? :naughty:

Darn, when I saw this, the sale was already pending. Hope a PS'r snagged up that vintage setting! I'm so sad to see that the set was separated, though. :cry: They had such an amazing history together! Meanwhile, my search for the perfect Deco/Edwardian/otherwise vintage setting continues, so please keep your suggestions coming. I really appreciate all the eyes!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

Aw, I'm sorry you didn't get it.

ckh04

Rough_Rock

SparklyOEC|1388902300|3586594 said:
Aw, I'm sorry you didn't get it.

Thank you! I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for French cut diamonds, settings with French cuts and French cut bands that could be a wedding band. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results