shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite lipstick?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remembered today I had a Macy's gift card from the wedding. I decided to go to the mall at try and buy that limited edition matte black MAC lipstick. Of course it was sold out, but I bought a black from Sephora. Its ok, but im not in love.

That first bit is slightly unrelated to my question, but i had to say it anyway :lol:

But whats your favorite kind? Brand or color or both. I like to wear bolder colors with my short hair. I'm officially obsessed with MAC's Ruby Woo and will wear it just about anywhere. But i have a few others I like. Im a pretty big fan of anything MAC Matte, but nothing seems to be quite as good as their Ruby Woo.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I am also a huge huge Mac lipstick fan! My favorites are the Viva Glams. Have you tried regular Viva Glam in the lipstick? It is a darker hue. I also like their Creme Cup as well. I just started using Soap & Glory's Sexy Mother Pucker Gloss sticks (kind of like a lipstick/gloss combo) and I love it!! I am a huge lipgloss fan though as well! And I like Sephora brand, Mac, Smashbox, and Soap & Glory. I have been on a Sephora spending spree! I love all things makeup!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a true lipstick but I am crazy about Clinique's Chubby Stick Intense - http://www.clinique.com/cms/whats_new/chubbyintense/wn_index.tmpl - I have it in Grandest Grape and the color on me is like bright raspberry - I do put a top layer of Fresh's Passion or Rose SPF15 - but for me the Chubby Stick Intense has staying power. I will probably pick up the rose and berry colors too but I am so happy with the Grape. (I also tried the regular Chubby Stick but the colors are way too sheer and muted, and just don't do much in terms of color)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lizzyann|1388871951|3586289 said:
I am also a huge huge Mac lipstick fan! My favorites are the Viva Glams. Have you tried regular Viva Glam in the lipstick? It is a darker hue. I also like their Creme Cup as well. I just started using Soap & Glory's Sexy Mother Pucker Gloss sticks (kind of like a lipstick/gloss combo) and I love it!! I am a huge lipgloss fan though as well! And I like Sephora brand, Mac, Smashbox, and Soap & Glory. I have been on a Sephora spending spree! I love all things makeup!

I have only tried a few of the Mac lipstick so far. I bought the Ruby Woo and the Peach Blossom right before the wedding. I was planning on wearing the Peach Blossom for my wedding, but then I just fell in love with the red and went with that. When they said they didn't have black today I decided to get the Candy Yum Yum. (Stupid name) but it was really nice. I'm a big fan of their matte. Seems to stay forever. Too bad they have so few. Like I said I wore it for my wedding an I don't even remember reapplying at all. Maybe did once. It looked killer all day.

I also use a brand I found a Saphora called "make up for all"

It's nice too. That's the black I bought. I jus wish it was matte because it would stay better and not fade out to plum. I tried some YSL lipstick once. Amazing amazing smell, but the color made me look like a geriatric hooker.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nars has some bright, intense colors. Tom Ford has 2 nice bright reds: Vampire Kiss and Cherry Lush. Urban Decay also has a nice range of colors (Venom and Shame are nice). If you're feeling adventurous, Dolce & Gabanna makes a beautiful deep green lipstick that Saks 5th Avenue in NYC carries. YSL'S number 106 is a beautiful slightly metallic dark purple.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1388873933|3586313 said:
Nars has some bright, intense colors. Tom Ford has 2 nice bright reds: Vampire Kiss and Cherry Lush. Urban Decay also has a nice range of colors. If you're feeling adventurous, Dolce & Gabanna makes a beautiful deep green lipstick that Saks 5th Avenue in NYC carries. YSL'S number 106 is a beautiful slightly metallic dark purple.

Green?? Oh I'm off to google! Sounds amazing

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you google "Dolce & Gabana green lipstick", you'll see some good pictures of it.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chanel Rouge Allure in Lover. It's a 1940's style, bright pinky red in colour. I think it might be discounted now though but I haven't looked because I'll cry if it is. I chose makeup in a very hands off way. I love Chanel and MAC over Clinque and some of the others because the staff at my local is very helpful. I ask them what would work, they paint me, and if I like it I buy it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1388875067|3586330 said:
Chanel Rouge Allure in Lover. It's a 1940's style, bright pinky red in colour. I think it might be discounted now though but I haven't looked because I'll cry if it is. I chose makeup in a very hands off way. I love Chanel and MAC over Clinque and some of the others because the staff at my local is very helpful. I ask them what would work, they paint me, and if I like it I buy it.

thats what i think about that Ruby Woo!

And that was the only reason i was ok with not finding the MAC Punk black i was looking for. I knew it was lmt. I didnt want to get attached.

theres this person who works at the Mac booth at my Macys. He was super rude i think, I went in like. " i need makeup for my wedding" and pretty much he was no help at all. He showed me a bunch of colors that clearly didnt look good on me, and jsut rubbed them all on my hand. I hummed and hawed and hes like " i need you give me anything at all". i told him i couldnt judge lipstick on my hand, so he took me to a chair, gave me a mirror and told me to try them on. Then left.... :roll:

Its nice you have someone who is pleasant and helpful

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1388875212|3586331 said:
Rhea|1388875067|3586330 said:

thats what i think about that Ruby Woo!

And that was the only reason i was ok with not finding the MAC Punk black i was looking for. I knew it was lmt. I didnt want to get attached.

tso he took me to a chair, gave me a mirror and told me to try them on. Then left.... :roll:

Its nice you have someone who is pleasant and helpful

No! No. That's just not acceptable. They normally ask if I want to put it on myself and I sometimes do, but I like to be babysat when I'm with makeup. I'm not experienced with it and sometimes need to be painted, with instructions on what to do. I try to be quick, polite, decisive and visit during not so busy times. But honestly, I don't know what looks good on. I have no artistic bone in my body and they are trusting my inexperienced hand with my very pale skin and bright colours which stain?! I need supervision and direction!

If any of the above describes you, find a more patient and polite sales staff who spends time with you and just commit to buying from that makeup counter. Clinque is great if I know what I want (I love their mascara!) but their staff at my local simply doesn't fulfill my need for hand-holding.

I hear you on colours being discontinued. It takes me a while to get over it and move on. Best to go with a just released colour so you have time!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im pretty good at putting on the lipstick, but as a am in my 20s, im only really recently broadening my horizons with lipstick. I dont know exactly what colors look good on me. So i need people to tell me. Like do i want lipsticks with orange or blue or yellow undertones? who knows!

So yes it was very annoying when i got no help. But a lot of our places in Macys are like that. I stopped at the Bobbie Brown to get some concealer. Again, for my wedding.

I walked up to the woman and said i didnt know what i was doing and needed help. She asked me what kind of makeup i wanted. again i said i didnt know, just something to help with my face for the wedding. She then asked if i needed dry or combination or oily. and AGAIN i said im not sure. I mean isnt that your job to know? Id buy online if i didnt need your help :roll: I told her i didnt know, but probably combination. the woman put it on me, which was nice, but I was concerned it looked too cakey, and the benefit of evened out color didnt seem to outweigh the negative cakieness. I had mentioned that to my mom who was with me. It seemed to offend the makeup artest so she ended up kind of insulting me. Told me I didnt have combination, i had oily (which if you knew that in the first place, why not tell ME what i am, rather than make me guess) Then said stuff like "oh your face looks very red and splotchy without this makeup, the other side looks better" and "the makeup cant fix whats underneath it" :-o

But anyways i digress. I need some help. I dont know what colors and undertones look best on me though im learning (blues), but if i can I avoid going to those booths because they seem very rude and unpleasant.

The Sephora in our mall has very very friendly people, but i can usually make my way around there on my own.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, that makes sense! I'm sorry that you're frustrated with not getting opinions back from the sales staff. Do you have friends or family who can help? I wish I could help more. Wedding makeup is important! I'm very intrigued by the D&G green lipstick.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1388878068|3586356 said:
Niel, that makes sense! I'm sorry that you're frustrated with not getting opinions back from the sales staff. Do you have friends or family who can help? I wish I could help more. Wedding makeup is important! I'm very intrigued by the D&G green lipstick.

It all worked out so that's what matters.

I do like that green. I saw somebody with blond hair and brown eyes when I did a google image search. It looked amazing. I wonder if it would be too much with blue eyes. I should go see if it's at my local place.

I love hearing all these. I'm pretty typical with how I do my eye makeup. Don't stray away from my staples, but I LOVE to try all sorts of lipstick.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brands:
Urban Decay Revolution
Covergirl LipPerfection

Colors:
UD Rapture (my "my lips but better" shade)
UD Anarchy (piiiiiiiink)
CG Divine (purplish!)
Tarte Glamazon Lipstick in Playful (purply pink)
Benefit Sugarbomb (okay, a gloss, but still)

I carry UD Rapture and Clinique Almost Lipstick Black Honey in my purse all the time.

A very good place to get makeup help is Reddit's Makeupaddiction subreddit, believe it or not. I will post more later but have to go to dinner.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1388872132|3586292 said:
Not a true lipstick but I am crazy about Clinique's Chubby Stick Intense - http://www.clinique.com/cms/whats_new/chubbyintense/wn_index.tmpl - I have it in Grandest Grape and the color on me is like bright raspberry - I do put a top layer of Fresh's Passion or Rose SPF15 - but for me the Chubby Stick Intense has staying power. I will probably pick up the rose and berry colors too but I am so happy with the Grape. (I also tried the regular Chubby Stick but the colors are way too sheer and muted, and just don't do much in terms of color)

I love Grandest Grape :love:. Been wearing it since it first came out in intense formula. I have Fuller Fig in regular version and agree it's a more muted color. I also discovered ELF mineral lipstick recently. It's extremely cheap but colors are great and ingredients are natural plus it's very moisturizing. I've been using it for the past month and find that my lips are less dry so I'm using less lip balm.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use ELF for, whats it called, like a clear eyebrow mascara? Found it at a Meijer (midwest) and it was like less than 2 bucks i think? works really well. Id for sure buyit again

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Orange /yellow undertones: you look great in corals, forest greens, browns, yellow gold

Blue undertones: you look good in pastels, primary colors, silver/white metals, purples, grays

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Lancome Rouge Absolu and Chanel Rouge Coco and Rouge Allure lipsticks. My current faves are Crushed Rose by Lancome, and Gabrielle (a neutral blue-red) by Chanel.

Here is a good video on choosing and applying red lipstick. Lisa Eldridge's site can, in fact, help you on just about any makeup choice/application issue you might have. If you watch her basics videos, you won't NEED the rude guy at the cosmetics counter - you'll be armed to pick your own stuff without having to rely on someone else. :) Watching her has done more to freshen up this 50+ year old's makeup than anything, I can tell ya.

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25389/ultimate-guide-to-red-lips/

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is my new red lipstick obsession: http://www.sephora.com/luminous-creme-lipstick-P283903?skuId=1321504. I bought it recently in Tannin and it's an awesome neutral red that goes on smoothly. I am a bit of a bright lipstick addict - I look terrible with a neutral lip - and I'm always on the search for a great red. I really liked the way this one went on and stayed on, but wasn't cakey or thick. I'm looking forward to trying some of their other colors.

I also recently bought the Revlon Color Burst Matte lipstick crayon in hot pink. I think the name is Unapologetic. It has good staying power and is really unusual looking - very, very matte and bright and not the least bit chalky.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MonkeysInk|1388894953|3586537 said:
This is my new red lipstick obsession: http://www.sephora.com/luminous-creme-lipstick-P283903?skuId=1321504. I bought it recently in Tannin and it's an awesome neutral red that goes on smoothly. I am a bit of a bright lipstick addict - I look terrible with a neutral lip - and I'm always on the search for a great red. I really liked the way this one went on and stayed on, but wasn't cakey or thick. I'm looking forward to trying some of their other colors.

I also recently bought the Revlon Color Burst Matte lipstick crayon in hot pink. I think the name is Unapologetic. It has good staying power and is really unusual looking - very, very matte and bright and not the least bit chalky.

thanks. ill have to try it. have you ever tried that Mac ruby woo? if youre in search of great vibrant red, you HAVE to try it.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sephora sells a brand called Bite that has some deep, intense shades.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so boring...

Trish Mcevoy Iced Mocha.... All the time

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1388920390|3586650 said:
I'm so boring...

:lol:

Not boring, classic ;-)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1388927483|3586668 said:
I'm so boring...

Not boring, classic ;-)

Thank you....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1388927483|3586668 said:
I'm so boring...

Not boring, classic ;-)

I have to agree with Niel here. If you want boring try me because I don't wear lipstick. I never liked it on me and I have tried lots of different lipsticks in the past. The one that came the closest for me was the Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. My hairdresser insisted I wear lipstick for my wedding (he did my eye makeup) so that's what I used but you couldn't even tell and I didn't reapply the entire night because I just prefer no lipstick. However I do wear lipgloss because I like the way it looks and feels on me and in the winter I need something because it's so dry. I use lip smackers-it's a clear lipgloss with Vitamin E and Aloe and I love it. Doesn't feel sticky and looks natural and it's super inexpensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results