shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald or Green Coloured Gemstone?

PhoenixMum69

Rough_Rock
Hello :)

I've been lurking a long time and love the emerald jewellery... which brings me to the conclusion that I would like to buy a May birthstone ring for my daughter's 15th birthday, i.e. the quinceanera (Okay, its quite a long time away, but I like to be prepared :saint: )

So I have some questions...
1. Do you recommend on spending around £100 ($200) on a stimulated emerald ring, or something like this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2141596.htm
http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8038279/9ct+yellow+gold+created+emerald+%26+cubic+zirconia+ring/
OR...
A 'real' emerald naturally created and costing around £400/$800? I mean, she is approaching 1, is it necessary to spend so much on a ring that she MIGHT lose? And she might not be able to wear it much.

2. Are there any stones that are 'cheaper' than emeralds, but not sacrificing on the hue (i.e vivid green) of the gemstone?

3. Are there any cheap vendors of gemstones either in London (UK) or elsewhere in the world that you know of, that can ship to the UK?

4. Is say, a ruby or a diamond a better 'investment'? 16 year olds like to do all sorts of weird things and I'm afraid that a emerald would go to pieces as it isn't as hard as diamonds.

5. Lastly, as a side question, is it okay if she wears the ring on her ring finger, especially on the left hand? If she doesn't lose it, she'll likely be wearing it when she grows up and since she's right handed she'll prefer it being on her left hand, will this distract potential future spouses? Is it okay if she wears it as a RHR?
Sorry about all these questions, it'll be nice if you helpful posters could just answer one or two. Many thanks :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hi, What a sweet idea :). I should probably let you know though that we aren't allowed to talk about simulants on this forum. It's just one of the rules. I don't know a lot about emeralds myself but there are probably a few experts here that may have some advice. Also since nice emeralds are hard to find and can be treated in undesirable ways maybe consider a green tourmaline or a green garnet. Just an idea.
Good luck!

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tsavorite garnet is the next best thing a cheaper alternative to emerald , it should look a lot better than any cheap emerald .

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess im just wondering what you really want to do. Because if its a birthstone ring, only emerald is May's birthstone, so in that regard only that will do.

But, and emerald might not be the right stone for this endeavor. they arent strong for everyday wear. So if you want a young girl to wear it often for many years without it getting ruined, Im just not sure about an emerald.

So if you dont go emerald, does it need to be as close to emerald as possible? Because Chrysoberyl, spinel, and sapphire are strong stones that, though not looking like an emerald, are affordable, durable, and lovely.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
For an emerald for a teenager, it may be safer to go with a pendant. Embassy Emeralds has a good selection of emeralds, and several people here have had luck with them. You can search for threads about their emeralds in the search engine here.

There is pendant here that is already set, which will save you money and hassle getting a loose stone set:
http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=163

I would ask for the face up dimensions of the stone to see how big it is. You can also buy a stone from Embassy and request that they set it for you if you want something else.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Here are my thoughts...

1. Do you recommend on spending around £100 ($200) on a stimulated emerald ring, or something like this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2141596.htm
http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8038279/9ct+yellow+gold+created+emerald+%26+cubic+zirconia+ring/
OR...
A 'real' emerald naturally created and costing around £400/$800? I mean, she is approaching 1, is it necessary to spend so much on a ring that she MIGHT lose? And she might not be able to wear it much.

I would go for the real deal since this is a piece with special significance. As others mentioned, this forum bans discussion of simulants, so we can't help you if you go that direction anyway.

2. Are there any stones that are 'cheaper' than emeralds, but not sacrificing on the hue (i.e vivid green) of the gemstone?

Tsavorite garnet comes in the rich greens you may be looking for but lacks the glow of emerald. Instead it has a beautiful sparkle that I personally prefer, but it's different. Chrome green tourmaline could be another option. Neither are particularly durable, though.

3. Are there any cheap vendors of gemstones either in London (UK) or elsewhere in the world that you know of, that can ship to the UK?

Check the sticky thread of trusted gemstone vendors and contact them to see if they ship to the UK. Tan's ebay stores in particular (odysseygem, vvs1gem, gemburionline, gemcatalogue) may be promising. He ships from Thailand. Also look at Jeff Davies on Facebook and Pinterest. Neither of these vendors tend to have a lot of emeralds but do get some tsavorites, tourmalines, and all sorts of other gems. For competitively-priced emeralds, I'd look at litnon.com and mastercutgems.com first.

4. Is say, a ruby or a diamond a better 'investment'? 16 year olds like to do all sorts of weird things and I'm afraid that a emerald would go to pieces as it isn't as hard as diamonds.

I like the suggestion of a pendant instead for this reason. Perhaps a more durable stone would be a more practical choice, but I also like that you're making it about her birthstone/birthday and would stick with emerald for that reason. If you choose a ring, you could also talk to her about how fragile the stone is and ask her to avoid wearing it when it could get knocked around.

5. Lastly, as a side question, is it okay if she wears the ring on her ring finger, especially on the left hand? If she doesn't lose it, she'll likely be wearing it when she grows up and since she's right handed she'll prefer it being on her left hand, will this distract potential future spouses? Is it okay if she wears it as a RHR?

See above (re pendant instead of ring). For what it's worth, I've never heard of or personally experienced a non-diamond ring acting as a deterrent for men, but a pendant sidesteps this issue entirely. I've been wearing rings on both ring fingers since I was a teenager, so I'd say it's not much of an issue.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, we are not allowed to discuss any synthetic stones due to forum rules. Given that your daughter is to receive this ring at age 15 thereabouts, you are correct that it should not be something expensive or irreplaceable. That said, you will not get a nice looking emerald for $200, even if highly treated. You do have other alternatives though.

1. Rings are more fun to wear but easier to lose. A pendant allows more flexibility in gemstone selection, less risk of damage and less risk of getting lost. Emeralds aren't really everyday wear stones either since it is a beryl, meaning that it is a "chip-py" stone if not worn with care.

2. Which brings us to point 2, there are other green stone alternatives. There is garnet and tourmaline and diopside. Again, these aren't everyday ring stones and they hold up best in pendants. For the same price, you will get a far nicer looking garnet, tourmaline or diopside than an emerald, not to mention they are rarely treated.

3. Let's decide on which stone is best first, then we can point you in the right direction to purchase it. Almost all vendors around the world will ship to the UK.

4. A ruby is harder than an emerald but at the price range you are looking at, expect it to be highly treated, which means it will also require extra care and doesn't necessarily make it more durable than a garnet, tourmaline, etc. A diamond is also not impervious to damage; knock it the right way and it will chip / cleave.

5. It is all about the design; the right design will not look like an engagement ring.

PhoenixMum69

Rough_Rock
I'm very grateful for everyone who chipped in, its greatly appeciated :)
I meant stimulant as lad created... is that not allowed either? I thought it might be allowed as the physical makeup is the same as a natural emerald, but just with no inclusions etc.

I appreciate the necklace suggestion, but it is customary for a girl to receive a ring/bracelet for her 15th, and she dislikes necklaces anyway, and she hates the hassle of putting it on, whereas with a ring you can just leave it on.

It doesn't HAVE to be emerald, just a stone that resembles it in the shade of green (my daughter likes a deep green stone and jadeite is too fragile, especially if dropped. :sick: ).

Although an emerald will be of significance, it could be just any stone that's (most likely) hard enough to withstand everyday wear.
At the minute I'm disliking the idea of an emerald as it is:
-Expensive, especially nicely set, cut natural emeralds
-Easy to scratch up, especially by a teenager
-Hard to find, e.g. aren't treated, in that shade of 'emerald green' that my daughter would like.

So maybe just an affordable, long lasting stone/ring ranging from £100-£150 ($200-300)?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct, per PS rules, we are not allowed to discuss any synthetic stones. If this is to be a ring has to be left on, then neither emerald, tourmaline, garnet, or diopside are good options. An emerald will definitely chip or break if dropped. A sapphire or diamond can too, if dropped. In actuality, jadeite is far more durable than emerald due to their interlocking internal structure.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. Just how rough will she be on this ring? You say she won't want to worry about taking it off, do you think she'll be sleeping in it?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
This is a very lovely idea & when she receives whatever you give her, she will love it always because it comes from you. Since she isn't even a year old if I read your post right, I suggest you save for a few years so you can give her something special. That will be hard to do, buying both stone and setting, possibly paying shipping, with the current budget.

By the time she's a number of years older, you'll know what colors she likes, what styles (simple or ornamented), metal color, or even whether she likes to wear jewelry at all. At this point you have no idea how large her fingers will be, for instance, and while a ring can be re-sized, there is a limit to how well that works if the change is extreme, depending on the design of the ring. Why not stash away 50 pounds or whatever you can, for 6, 7, or 10 years & then look for something?

You'll be able to buy a more durable ring that way, and be better able to meet her preferences, though I'm sure she'll be thrilled no matter what. Hard to wait, once you get the idea, but this is just a suggestion to make it easier and more fun.

--- Laurie

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a little unsure of her age. You say she is one but has a favorite color and hates to bother with necklaces? I think we might be reading it wrong.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Phoenixmum!
What a nice idea for your teen!
If you interested in lab grown stones, you can post your question in the Lab Grown Diamonds forum (look in the list of forums here on PS), and they can recommend vendors for you.

Good luck with your project!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry - I didn't realize this had responses elsewhere, so now I will have posted twice…

I still have all of diamond rings, CS rings, pendants, etc. (not as many as it sounds like, I promise!) that were given to me between the ages of 10 and 16 - I took care of each one of them over the years because it meant a great deal to me to receive a few family pieces and a few new beautiful stones at that age. When you're 15/16, you don't think you're too immature to have and take care of a nice piece.

That said, a green garnet would be a nice compromise, rather than going all out on an emerald, especially when she'll want to wear it to pieces, and emeralds are not for every day wear. At her age, a CS won't be mistaken for an engagement ring, and when she gets older, she can always have it re-sized to her right hand and wear it as a RHR. My family felt quite strongly that I shouldn't wear a diamond on my left ring finger because they didn't want anyone to think that I had run off and gotten engaged, or that they had allowed me to run off and get engaged, when I hadn't.

Hope that helps :)

PhoenixMum69

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1388701194|3585060 said:
Since she isn't even a year old if I read your post right
I'm sorry for not making it clear :oops: she is currently 14, I want to get her a present for her 15th birthday :)

And sorry to be so ignorant, but what is a CS ring?

I always thought jade was very fragile as I had a jade bangle that me mother gave me when I was 18 and when I dropped it a couple of feet on a stone floor it broke into 3 pieces... for a ring, jade is even lower on the Mohs Scale than an emerald...

I think to go for a nice Tsavourite Garnet is the best option, unless I can give her a diamond RHR.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PhoenixMum69|1388851621|3586170 said:
I'm sorry for not making it clear :oops: she is currently 14, I want to get her a present for her 15th birthday :)

I always thought jade was very fragile as I had a jade bangle that me mother gave me when I was 18 and when I dropped it a couple of feet on a stone floor it broke into 3 pieces... for a ring, jade is even lower on the Mohs Scale than an emerald...

I think to go for a nice Tsavourite Garnet is the best option, unless I can give her a diamond RHR.

CS just means colored stone.

And you could give her a diamond ring, though it wont be green.

Im not sure what your budget is but the website Ruby Lane has lovely dainty rings under 800. Ive seen lovely ones as low as 250. Ebay has some nice vendors too. They wont be large, but they would be nice for a young girl, if you wanted to go that route id start a Rocky Talky thread saying "i have a $XXX budget, help me find a ring", they are great over there. Great over here too, but you get the most traffic over there when you have a diamond question.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
For a durable, everyday stone, your choices are diamond, sapphire, spinel, and chyrsoberyl. Of these, you may be able to get a greenish Montana sapphire for $200. Quality jadeite is out of your price range.

You can peruse stones here:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html

I would then contact Gemfix or Master Cut Gems to ask if they have anything available in your budget.

If you want to set it in gold, try to get a standard calibrated stone that will fit into a stock gold setting. Custom gold settings are expensive. Otherwise, I would set it in silver. When you gets older,you can reset the sapphire in platinum with a diamond halo, and it will be stunning.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, nothing will survive a drop of several feet to a stone floor; diamonds, sapphire, etc. There is more to consider than just MOH or hardness. There is also toughness and jadeite is way up there in terms of durability. Hardness is a measure of resistance to scratching. This means that jadeite is more easily scratched but resists cracking/breaking/chipping. If you are concerned about potential damage, I seriously urge you to consider a pendant. If not, tourmaline and tsavorite are definitely out of the running. If she is to wear it 24/7, only sapphire and chrysoberyl are potential candidates but neither are the green you are looking for.

PhoenixMum69

Rough_Rock
She will probably intend on sleeping with it... so maybe a diamond or a sapphire. Those Montana sapphires are GORGEOUS!
And I'll think about a pendant. Maybe I should discuss it with my daughter, and I'll post a thread, as you suggest.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

CS is a colored stone ring :)
Well I would go with a tsavorite garnet or maybe a tourmaline if I were you. I guess garnet is a bit more durable.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just a quick comment...there are green diamonds available. They are treated with irradiation...a safe and permanent treatment. It would give you the color and every day durability. Half-ct nice greens are usually fairly affordable.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
PhoenixMum69|1388873599|3586308 said:
She will probably intend on sleeping with it... so maybe a diamond or a sapphire. Those Montana sapphires are GORGEOUS!
And I'll think about a pendant. Maybe I should discuss it with my daughter, and I'll post a thread, as you suggest.

Great idea. A green montana sapphire.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

May I respectfully suggest that this is the time to impress upon your daughter that you are giving her a precious gemstone and it deserves to be treated as such? It doesn't get worn to the beach or slept in unless she wants to take the risk of losing or damaging it and you want (potential) dents in your walls as below. Granted they were made by large rings - however, I never sleep in my jewellery and this day had just laid down for an hour's nap. Threw my hands around while turning over at some stage and voila! :)

It's a special gift you are giving and not tuppence worth - it would be good to begin training your daughter to treat it, and all jewellery, with the respect it deserves so that it remains as lovely as the day she receives it. :))

wall-bruise-and-dents.png

smokey-and-gold.png

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It means 'colored stone' ring :)

And, a Tsav would be beautiful!!!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1388867260|3586251 said:
Unfortunately, nothing will survive a drop of several feet to a stone floor; diamonds, sapphire, etc. There is more to consider than just MOH or hardness. There is also toughness and jadeite is way up there in terms of durability. Hardness is a measure of resistance to scratching. This means that jadeite is more easily scratched but resists cracking/breaking/chipping. If you are concerned about potential damage, I seriously urge you to consider a pendant. If not, tourmaline and tsavorite are definitely out of the running. If she is to wear it 24/7, only sapphire and chrysoberyl are potential candidates but neither are the green you are looking for.

Might it be realistic to think PhoenixMum69 could purchase a decent, green jadeite cabochon within her budget to mount in a ring? (I have no idea, but am thinking that perhaps that's a way for her daughter to have the deep green she's indicated, so far, she'd like, without the chipping/breakage potential of a tourmaline or tsavorite garnet). If so, would prong-setting -- instead of a bezel -- be OK so that the cabochon could be more easily transferred later to a more expensive setting and/or larger ring size as the daughter matures?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since your daughter may not share enthusiasm for, e.g., a Montana sapphire, I'll encourage you to definitely discuss this project with her... and to keep her expectations realistic, don't feel self-conscious about letting her know there are budget parameters.

If she's not adverse to the idea of a diamond, a stacking ring style this pre-loved one, set in a semi-bezel, that's presently listed on LoupeTroop
http://loupetroop.com/listings/ring...-and-a-round-diamond-ring-size-7-14kt-wg;1791
might appeal to her. Versatile & it should meet one of your concerns -- it doesn't scream "engagement ring" :))

semi-bezeled_.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results