shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC or OEC not safe for flush setting?

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
I have a couple older stones that need to be set for a for a mans ring, so prongs are for the most part out. My question is, when a stone is being put into a flush setting, is there some micro hammering that goes on that could cause the stone to break or chip? I read this could happen on a bezel setting. One of the stones has a big feather so that concerns me that it might crack.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are the most durable of all gemstone and this is more of a concern with coloured stones. The only concern is for diamonds with pointy ends (princess cut and tips of pears) and stones with any extremely thin girdles. Where is the location of the large feather in your old cut diamond?

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, the feather is off the the side just right of the table, doesn't bisect the edges though. Just make me a little nervous when a jeweler I talked to said he cannot guarantee any breakage taking it out of the existing setting or putting into a new one. Not sure if that is just standard speech to cover their behind or its it something I really needed to worry about.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is that the jeweller gave you the standard speech. Accidents rarely happen but if you are concerned, you can purchase insurance on your diamond, which will cover any potential damage during the setting process.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results