shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelers or Anyone~Question on Steaming jewelry

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Recently I have been to the jeweler where my e-ring was purchased to get my ring cleaned. I loved going there because they would clean my ring and then steam it. The past couple times I have been there they haven't used the steamer. :(

They would take it behind the windowed wall where you can see them clean and steam it, but now they have a new station in the showroom with an ultrasonic cleaning station. They say the ultrasonic cleaner does a better job.

I asked them why they stopped using the steamer and they said because the jeweler has other pieces back there and that the ultrasonic cleaner does a better job.

Why would they stop using it? Is it too expensive to maintain or just want to get away from it? I'm bummed because I LOVED the way my jewelry looked after being steamed. :love:

Anyone thoughts?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
So what I'm seeing is that you're asking them why their procedure is different now, so that's the question they are answering. They've told you why they've changed their procedures.

How about instead asking them next time to steam your rings after the ultrasonic? The fact that they aren't doing it as standard procedure in general doesn't mean you cannot ask them to steam yours. Ask for what you'd like.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Aljdewey to ask them next time if they can steam your ring for your too. I agree the steam cleaner really sparkles up my rings too.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I sure will ladies. I just found it odd that they all of a sudden stopped! I received an ultrasonic cleaner for Christmas which is awesome so maybe I need to invest in the steamer too so that I can do it myself. :) I inquired about it before, but haven't been able to do anything yet. My daughter keeps me on my toes. :)

Does anyone have an ultrasonic cleaner? Any tips for me? I know they say to use regular tap water, but curious if anyone has used a solution in it? I ran out of my jewelry solution/cleaner and need to buy more. :(

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I have found that I can do a better job soaking and "spray cleaner" cleaning my rings and steaming them than an ultrasonic does. I usually use Sparkle Sparkle spray (I use the Platinum one) and I have the "purple stuff" and windex as well. But soaking in a mix of method dish soap and hot water is great. I also will occasionally use rubbing alcohol. If you get a steamer of your own, use distilled water.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quit using ultrasonic cleaners after loosening a few accent stones with them. I soak my jewelry in diluted windex or the pink jewelry cleaner. I also have a jewel jet which I dig out every few weeks to give my rings a blast. If something got smudged I will soak it in warm water with Dawn. I use our filtered water out of the refrigerator.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I've heard of sparkle sparkle I think I saw it on tv. I normally use razzle dazzle, but maybe I should switch it up. I'll look into it and I agree I do a better job and don't intend to use the ultrasonic everyday.

Thanks ladies. :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
DiamondsOnly|1388282746|3582223 said:
I've heard of sparkle sparkle I think I saw it on tv. I normally use razzle dazzle, but maybe I should switch it up. I'll look into it and I agree I do a better job and don't intend to use the ultrasonic everyday.

Thanks ladies. :)
I have Razzle Dazzle (purple stuff). I use that sometimes, but it's not my favorite. I think I saw Sparkle Sparkle on HSN once, but I buy it directly from nventa. WF used to give a little starter set with purchases, and they got me hooked on it like a drug. I've upgraded to the full sizes and even started buying starter sets for friends, family and bridal clients!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use an ultrasonic every day as I just plop my jewelry into it when I get home from work. It is a diluted mixture of Mr. Clean and water. A friend of mine got an ultrasonic and she said the directions said only use water too. I find that very strange - water alone will not cut grease. She didn't feel that hers worked very well and I said it won't with ONLY water - you have to have some kind of degreasing agent in it too.

I agree with others though - there are many things that work as well. Soaking the rings in a warm solution is just as effective for me - particularly because I clean them every day. If you let the gunk build up, the ultrasonic might be more useful. It's just convenient for me as it's plugged into a plug inside a cabinet so it's safe and out of the way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results