shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Books on Your "Must Re-Read Soon" List?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been many, many years since I read "A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" but for some reason it came to mind today, and went straight to the top of my "must re-read soon" list. I think it'll have to wait for just a bit though. I remember that it covers a full year, but for some reason Annie Dillard's depiction of springtime is what's pulling at me.

Are there any books that you're itching to read for a second or third (or more?) time?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the list is never ending.

Swan Song/Robert R McCammon. I like to read it every couple years.
The Stand/Stephen King. Haven't read it in many years.
The Adept series/Piers Anthony. Been a few years.
Duma Key/Just After Sunset/Full Dark No Stars/-Stephen King. Only have read them once and would like to read them again
Behind the Attic Wall/Sylvia Cassedy. A favorite from middle school that I've read too many times to count
Little House on the Prairie series. Loved these, haven't read in many years.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I'm on what is I think my 6th or 7th re-read of the Harry Potter Series.

After that, I'll probably check a few new books off my list (I still need to read The Book Thief and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks) and then pick up one of my absolute favorites: The Chosen by Chaim Potok. I read it for senior literature in high school and I return to it every few years and always find something new that touches me. I think I'm overdue on this one!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agatha Christy -- And Then There Were None

Just read this for the first time a few months ago and really want to read it again. Beautifully written and kept me guessing right up to the very last page!
I'm going to try to wait at least a few months to re-read it :bigsmile:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Around Christmas-time each year I usually re-read one of Louisa May Alcott's books, either An Old-Fashioned Girl or Jack and Jill - and every couple of years I re-read her Little Men/Jo's Boys and Eight Cousins/Rose in Bloom series.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Many of mine are already listed!

I cycle through the Harry Potter books about once a year; sometimes the whole series, sometimes just a particular favorite. Chamber of Secrets is my least favorite, so that one gets read the least.

The Little House Books, for sure. I would read them even more if there were Kindle editions available.

An Old Fashioned Girl and Little Women; love these!

A few more on my permanent rotation:
Watership Down, Richard Adams
Enchantment, Orson Scott Card
The Attolia Series, Megan Whalen Turner
The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
Anne of Green Gables Series, L.M. Montgomery
Howl's Moving Castle, Diana Wynn Jones
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Patricia C. Wrede
Prydain Chronicles, Lloyd Alexander
The Belgariad, David Eddings

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mockingjay is on my list because the movie is being split into two parts and the second of those won't be out until 2015, so it'll be difficult remembering the story line by then.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
A Separate Peace, I haven't read that in about 10-15 years I bet. I'd like to read that again.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently rereading Lord of the Rings! I hadn't read them in a decade and basically didn't remember any parts that weren't in the movie - though bits that were in the movie, I remember the extra bits of from the book. MEMORY, hmph. I also don't remember them taking this long. I am only halfway through Fellowship and I have been reading FOREVVVVVVVVVVVVERRRRRRRRR. I honestly wonder if I skipped all the song things last time I read it.

I've also been rereading the Anne of Green Gables books - one every time I feel a little down.

VRBeauty|1387439964|3577336 said:
It's been many, many years since I read "A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" but for some reason it came to mind today, and went straight to the top of my "must re-read soon" list. I think it'll have to wait for just a bit though. I remember that it covers a full year, but for some reason Annie Dillard's depiction of springtime is what's pulling at me.

We had to read that book in eighth grade for school. It was pretty much the most-hated book of the year among all the students. Blarrgh. If you like it maybe it's worth taking another look at though.

The only bit I liked was this: "These are morning matters, pictures you dream as the final wave heaves you up on the sand to the bright light and drying air. You remember pressure, and a curved sleep you rested against, soft, like a scallop in its shell. But the air hardens your skin; you stand; you leave the lighted shore to explore some dim headland, and soon you’re lost in the leafy interior, intent, remembering nothing."

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have so many books on my kindle I would have to lay on my bed (on my stomach, cuz that's how I read) for 3 years, 5 months and 7 days without getting up, in order to read them all. That's the truth, I calculated. Not really. Just kidding.

The hardest part is choosing one!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1387528279|3577952 said:
I'm currently rereading Lord of the Rings! I hadn't read them in a decade and basically didn't remember any parts that weren't in the movie - though bits that were in the movie, I remember the extra bits of from the book. MEMORY, hmph. I also don't remember them taking this long. I am only halfway through Fellowship and I have been reading FOREVVVVVVVVVVVVERRRRRRRRR. I honestly wonder if I skipped all the song things last time I read it."

The Lord of the Rings books DO take forever!!! The Hobbit is fine. That goes quickly, but I read that and the LOTR series and the Return of the King took me SIX MONTHS! That was the longest it took me to finish any book EVER in my entire life...normally I read many books per month!

If you're really want to torture yourself, you can follow up those books with the Game of Thrones series. The show is great, but I quit halfway through the first book.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've also been rereading the Anne of Green Gables books - one every time I feel a little down.

We had to read that book in eighth grade for school. It was pretty much the most-hated book of the year among all the students. Blarrgh. If you like it maybe it's worth taking another look at though.

The only bit I liked was this: "These are morning matters, pictures you dream as the final wave heaves you up on the sand to the bright light and drying air. You remember pressure, and a curved sleep you rested against, soft, like a scallop in its shell. But the air hardens your skin; you stand; you leave the lighted shore to explore some dim headland, and soon you’re lost in the leafy interior, intent, remembering nothing."

That is so funny! And now you've got me re-thinking my choice!...

No, not really. What I remember about that book is that it had me seeing nature and being through fresh eyes for a while - through a poet's eyes, if you will. Of course, I was reading it as a young adult. Had I encountered it as a middle-schooler... well, lets just say I was more fascinated with other aspects of nature and being at that point! :naughty:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently rereading Lord of the Rings! I hadn't read them in a decade and basically didn't remember any parts that weren't in the movie - though bits that were in the movie, I remember the extra bits of from the book. MEMORY, hmph. I also don't remember them taking this long. I am only halfway through Fellowship and I have been reading FOREVVVVVVVVVVVVERRRRRRRRR. I honestly wonder if I skipped all the song things last time I read it.

Distracts!! I've been reading The Silmarillion, the prequel to the Hobbit, essentially explaining the history of the Elves, and the First-Second Ages. I love the way JRR Tolkein writes. It's beautiful to read, and challenging for me as well. LOVE it!!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aviastar|1387477614|3577587 said:

I cycle through the Harry Potter books about once a year; sometimes the whole series, sometimes just a particular favorite. Chamber of Secrets is my least favorite, so that one gets read the least.

The Little House Books, for sure. I would read them even more if there were Kindle editions available.

Wow!! Some who read the Chronicles of Prydain?? I introduced it to my 10 year old son last year. He read the whole thing!! The High King is such a good book!! And all of David Edding's series are fun too!!! The mallorean series is a good read...

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to reread at least one or two Nancy Drew series gooks, since I found out my mother didn't get rid of them yet. LOL. I'll start with the two oldies from the '30s or '40s, that have paper jackets and vintage illustrations.

I've been wanting to reread Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities and A Man in Full.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Any Books on Your "Must Re-Read Soon" List?

Funny you should mention Nancy Drew. I frequently pick up one of either ND or the Bobbsey Twins on a particularly rainy day for a re read. I have all my old ones. With my name scrawled in 6 year old penmanship inside! I have the versions from the late 50-60's but also one or two versions from 1945.
Found those on Ebay.
FYI Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and the Bobbsey Twins and the Dana Girls were not really written by Carolyn Keen, Franklin Dixon or who ever was put on as author. They were written by a syndicate! Whose writers had to sign contracts that they would never get credit for the writing, and had a formula they had to follow.
I know there was a time when they revised Nancy and made her less bold and less assertive. They also took out racial stereotypes.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1387463477|3577410 said:
I'm on what is I think my 6th or 7th re-read of the Harry Potter Series.

hehehe me too!! I love HP!

My list is too long to type out. I have about 100 books that I want/ need to read. I pick them up on kindle for super cheap or buy them from the used book store. I'm way way way behind.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Well currently I am reading The Journey Home which is about a yogi's path to enlightenment. I have to finish this and write a report on it by next week :-O

After that I am reading another book for yoga school called The Untethered Soul, and the author will be speaking at our classes!

I am also re-reading Terry Goodkind's entire Sword of Truth / Richard and Kahlan series as he just released a new book in the group and I always re-read them all when he does.

I am also in the last 3rd of my study bible. Finally.

After that I am planning to read a whole bunch of medical books as I am now working in a radiology office and sometimes feel a little dumb.
I received Anatomy of Yoga which I'd like to read soon.
I then plan to start working my way through a huge and never ending list that starts with the classics.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey remember how we all had this discussion about Pilgrim at Tinker Creek? It's like $2 on Amazon today so I bought that, thanks to you horrible people. Now I get to read about a tomcat that smells like urine, and other stuff along those lines.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
White Lotus, by John Hersey
Earthly Powers, by Anthony Burgess
Riddley Walker, Russel Hoban
Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me, Richard Fariña

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LLJsmom|1387838371|3579682 said:
aviastar|1387477614|3577587 said:

Wow!! Some who read the Chronicles of Prydain?? I introduced it to my 10 year old son last year. He read the whole thing!! The High King is such a good book!! And all of David Edding's series are fun too!!! The mallorean series is a good read...

I love the Chronicles of Prydain as well. It was interesting to note how which book was my favourite changed over the years.

The Earthsea Trilogy is also fantastic. I refuse to acknowledge the later books she wrote in that series, though.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1393110223|3620823 said:
White Lotus, by John Hersey
Earthly Powers, by Anthony Burgess
Riddley Walker, Russel Hoban
Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me, Richard Fariña

This is the first book that was ever added to my Amazon wishlist. Which I recently discovered has an upper limit of 2500 items. Only took me a little over a decade to get there. I am thinking about ordering that book in celebration of maxing out my wishlist.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a ton of books coming out in March, April and May for series I am already reading. But beyond those... nope.

I really too much, too fast to ever have a list of books that are already out that I want to read.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Veronika Decides to Die, Brideshead Revisited and The Great Gatsby (I want to reread before I see the movie which I need to because of the jewelry!!!).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the past week or two I've been reading my way through "One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are." I started it not on a dare, but on an invitation to be part of an ad-hoc book discussion - a book club that's only meeting once, to discuss this book. (BTW the invitation came from my sister-in-law... which means I committed to travel 500 miles to join in this discussion before I had even picked up the book! But, I'm overdue for a visit to my brother and SIL anyway, so this just gave me a date certain to work around. :wink2: ) Anyhow, when I started reading the book, I was struck immediately by how some aspects of it reminded me of "A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek." Now halfway through, I'm finally remembering that not long ago put "A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" at the top of my must re-read list, and realizing that I although I'm not exactly re-reading it, I am now reading a very close cousin!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I am a non-reader who needs to make more time to read. A friend and I started a book club a couple of months ago. The first book was Gone Girl. Next up was Northline by Willy Vlautin. This month we are reading No Turning Back by Tiffany Snow. We take turns picking the book, which makes it really fun, since we all have different interests.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1393885229|3626768 said:
I am a non-reader who needs to make more time to read. A friend and I started a book club a couple of months ago. The first book was Gone Girl. Next up was Northline by Willy Vlautin. This month we are reading No Turning Back by Tiffany Snow. We take turns picking the book, which makes it really fun, since we all have different interests.

I've never read Tiffany Snow's books so I looked up the one you mentioned. I love the names -- Kathleen Turner, Blane, and Kade! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results