carat
color
clarity

Got my PP stuff....not entirely sure about some of it

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Smith1942,

In reply to your question about blue akoya pearls: "To get technical for a minute, they're not completely natural, anyway, are they? Blue pearls don't occur in nature. I think the oyster has something inserted?"

What is inserted in the culturing process is a mother of pearl bead and tiny piece of donor tissue, but no dyes or anything like that. Blue pearls also are occur rarely in Tahitians, Sea of Cortez, South Sea. A "completely natural" pearl is one that occurs without any intervention by man.

Yes, it is a natural blue color! Nothing is inserted to make that shade. Blue is more rare than white, however. For most peeps it's a flattering color against the skin. (Akoyas also rarely come in pale gold, pink, and a lovely soft green (4RG's recent strand).

I always feel part of a pearl lover's "job" is to educate others about the wonderful gem that pearls are! :)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is truly interesting to read everyone's opinions.

I have seen blue akoyas that were dyed, but the ones from PP are not dyed. They just haven't had the natural blue bleached out of them!
Editing to add that I've seen baroque natural blue akoya strands at 2 high end jewelers in CT. One strand was $1800 and the other was about $1100.

Re: Tahitians vs. dyed FWP, I feel differently than some do about the dyed ones. I have a 17" strand of 11mm circlé dyed FWP that I adore and wear all the time. I bought them loose about 8 years ago and strung them myself, making matching dangle earrings. A month ago I changed the clasp and restrung them double-knotted on Beaders Secret, and they look even better to me.

I like them so much that they have actually deterred me from spending many times what I paid for them to buy a baroque Tahitian strand.
I know the color isn't real, but they are nacre all the way through. I don't try to pass them off as Tahitians, and am happy to tell people what they are if they are interested.

I don't wear imitation gems otherwise (besides the Majorica pearls, that is), and I do own a Tahitian pendant and earrings. But the FWP get more wear.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I think dyed freshwater pearls can be lovely and have a fun modern feel to them. Have you seen Hisano's black cfwp little h pieces?
http://www.pearlcollective.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1845 and also here http://www.pearlcollective.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1846
I don't think these pieces are in any way trying to imitate Tahitians. I would definitely wear these pieces (and I do own lovely blue-green Tahtians) for something different and fun. I have been eying that 6 strand necklace for quite some time :love: :love: :love:

Kevin (PoJ) also posted this picture of a AAA 7-8mm black fw strand he made up for a client and I would happily wear it. Again, I don't think there was any intention of these being passed off as Tahitians. You can read his blog post here: http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/The-Headmistress_b_36.html
black_akoya.jpg

It is nice to have variety in a pearl collection! I say wear what you love and mix and match your pearls :loopy:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
My BBB akoyas and multi color Vietnamese strands are natural color pearls. Go over to the big forum and look at recent posts. I moved up a post by "Bigwellpearls" dated 1-17-13. Harvest Akoya Cultured Pearls.....It shows his Chinese pearl farm harvest from this last January. The bucket is filled with. Color just out of the shell.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942, if you're looking for instant gratification, PP is doing another sale right now.
- 12% off regular priced items
- 15% Tahitians, SS, and golden SS

The codes are on the front page of their website: http://www.pearlparadise.com/default.aspx??

I realize that you got 15% off your white metallics purchase but this price is comparable and you won't have to wait til May. Also, just a thought, if you're exchanging your item, you can see if PP will let you apply the 15% discount to another item. When I exchanged my 16" strand for the 18", PP made an exception for me and gave me 20% off my exchange as well (I had purchased the 16" strand at a discount).

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip-off, Sortmon!

Sortmon and everyone else: I want to thank you so much for the advice and input, esp.re. the Tahitian. I am dashing around doing all manner of last-minute chores before my long-haul flight back to my native country tomorrow, to take care of my elderly parents over Xmas. The upshot is that I haven't even had time to look at all my pearls in daylight, what with work and everything. So, there is much new information to absorb after reading lots of things on the pearl forum and in this thread. This pearl buying malarkey isn't as simple as it seems at first. So, the upshot is that I sent the entire lot back tonight, with the thought that I can always re-buy at a later date when things aren't so frantic. Thanks so much for all the help xxxxxx

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I think you made the right choice by not keeping anything you aren't absolutely in love with!

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Blue akoyas look very good on your, both, the earrings and necklace. I bought loose blue akoyas from PP, and pretty much like them a lot.
To me, your tahitians pendant look brownish on the picture provided. I don't see any blemishes, or dimples, and you've mentioned it was AAA quality.
As for metallics, it seems to me you decision has been made. Good luck with finalizing it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results