carat
color
clarity

Gifts for him . . .

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1387415683|3577172 said:

What?!?! Do they have this for women???? Because I need this much worse than my husband does--he uses clippers to trim his face but I use razors for like half my body!!!

(The guy in the ad is really funny! Bit creepy at first, but I got a few good laughs out of that!)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies everyone. So far, I have ordered him a log carrier from LL Bean. LOL! It will go along with the fireplace gloves I got him last year or the year before that I was advised were too extravagant! I am not kidding!!

Oh, I am also getting him gloves. I spent way too much time looking at the different choices on LL Bean and have concluded that none will work. He says he doesn't need new gloves. I wore his "gloves" when I had to remove some snow on Tuesday. That is usually his task. Oh my goodness. My fingers were freezing with those "gloves" on. So, I asked him when he got them and he told me high school!! Uhm, that was two decades ago! And, then he said, "but I don't need new ones!" Anyone seeing a theme here???

AMC - I am dropping the headphones idea. The ones you posted look great, but he would never hear me with those on, and well, that wouldn't work too well for me!!

Monarch - I'm curious - what kind of beer? Did you have to cross state lines, lol?!?! I will definitely get a case or two.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1387337256|3576582 said:
I'm hoping the 3D scanner that I ordered for DH comes in.

He built his own 3D printer this year (Not the lame Makerbot, BTW) and that kept him busy for a while, but the scanner is prebuilt.

Darn thing better get here. :|

If DH wants Legos, he can print his own. :bigsmile:

Which printer did he build!?!?
DH has been bugging me for the last few years wanting to build one of those. I'm thinking it might make a good b-day gift.

Did your scanner show up?
You'll have to let me know which one and how your DH likes it!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovesVintage, the beer is Yeungling. It isn't sold in my state but we have a neighbor who travels frequently for work and he picks up a few cases for us and other friends if we ask. It isn't some exotic craft beer or anything, but it was husband's favorite when he lived backEast so it makes him really happy to have some around. Oddly there are some great microbreweries in our town but he's not so into them!

You guys HAVE to watch that link PintoBean posted above. It's so funny!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other gift for DH showed up today! He's long wanted an electric guitar but as he doesn't constantly bang on about it I always forget. He happened to bring his old and not so great one home the other day from his parent's house so I remember to order him a new one. So Lego and an electric guitar. Great things I hope, but I feel bad that he'll open them and then immediately leave for his aunt's house for Christmas dinner.

Other guys in my life - BIL is getting a whiskey decanter. Dad is getting a fire poker set and carrier hitch to carry fire wood. DH's father is getting tickets to a play that we're all going to see together.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch - Interesting! I am on the east coast and have never tried it. I will definitely look for it now though. That's a very thoughtful gift!

Rhea - What's a carrier hitch?? To attach to a truck? Big on firewood accessories over here!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1387470906|3577507 said:
Monarch - Interesting! I am on the east coast and have never tried it. I will definitely look for it now though. That's a very thoughtful gift!

Rhea - What's a carrier hitch?? To attach to a truck? Big on firewood accessories over here!

Ya know, I don't know. My sister just did some sly sleuthing for me and those are the words she used. I put into google and came up with what she was talking about. It will attach to the parent's RV for their firewood. It's like this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=carrier%20hitch

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea - Ohhh, I see. I wondered if it was one that would attach to an ATV or a smaller vehicle like that. I've often thought something like that would be useful! In any event, I'm sure your dad will love his gift.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I managed to get a PS4 this morning! I called every store in town that might have it and it was out of stock everywhere. I called Target in the next closest town (30 minutes or so) and they had them in stock, but couldn't tell me how many. I jumped in my car and when I arrived was told they sold out first thing in the morning (I had called around 11, they open at 8). So naturally I was pretty pi$$ed off. I figured since I was all the way down there I might as well check out Walmart, even though I had called that morning. Sure enough, they had two in stock! The sales gal said they had just gotten them in. Woohoo!! DH is going to be shocked. I am not into gaming and think they are a pretty big waste of time, so he'll never expect one. I can't wait for Christmas.

Oh, and I got another Lego set- The Mine. It had been sold out a lot of places and I found one through Amazon Marketplace. They shipped last night with standard shipping and somehow it's already out for delivery!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient said:

He built his own 3D printer this year (Not the lame Makerbot, BTW) and that kept him busy for a while, but the scanner is prebuilt.

DH has been bugging me for the last few years wanting to build one of those. I'm thinking it might make a good b-day gift.

He built a prusa mendel, but it wasn't easy. DH has a lot of technical knowledge, and he's a Scorpio, so if he thought it was a challenge, then it really is. There are all kinds of tips that make or break this thing, if your DH does get one, post here and I'll ask DH for specifics to pass along to you.

Does your DH have Rhino, or one of the other 3D softwares? Those are a pain is the a$$ too, but DH has been using them for years, so it's his idea of fun. I won't touch them, 3D software is a trial . . . :rolleyes:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1387418226|3577208 said:

What?!?! Do they have this for women???? Because I need this much worse than my husband does--he uses clippers to trim his face but I use razors for like half my body!!!

(The guy in the ad is really funny! Bit creepy at first, but I got a few good laughs out of that!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Glad this got you excited, monarch64! You should totally try it out. The reviews seem to indicate that the mid-level razor is quite good.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1387488767|3577705 said:
TooPatient said:

He built a prusa mendel, but it wasn't easy. DH has a lot of technical knowledge, and he's a Scorpio, so if he thought it was a challenge, then it really is. There are all kinds of tips that make or break this thing, if your DH does get one, post here and I'll ask DH for specifics to pass along to you.

Does your DH have Rhino, or one of the other 3D softwares? Those are a pain is the a$$ too, but DH has been using them for years, so it's his idea of fun. I won't touch them, 3D software is a trial . . . :rolleyes:

Great to know!
DH is definitely a tech geek. He built his own computer back in the days where that included things like soldering.

One helpful thing is that he works for a company with a large 3D printer and has access to use it so we could actually print a lot of parts and stuff with the right files. (I think one of the guys in the 3D discussion group has this stuff -- not sure which printer he has files for)

3D software can be a pain to get used to!
We have AutoCAD, Rhino, DesignCAD 3D, and SolidWorks.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient: Yes, the Prusa is the one for you then! :appl: There are parts that you can print for it if your have access to another 3D printer. Once you get it going it prints very nicely, very consistently, a very small bead. The print size is also larger than a MakerBot, and it's cheaper to build. You can also buy the plastic pretty cheap.

I really don't know why some people think these are for the general population, I don't see that at all. :confused: They're a pain to build and it's very hard to use the software, I can't see the average Joe just whipping out a bobblehead.

Has your DH used http://www.materialise.com/ ? He probably has, they're great for printing jewelry! :bigsmile: DH used them to print a couple of rings for us in sterling and 14K. They take forever, but they've got some awesome equipment. :appl:

We should start a thread on 3D printing :sun:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1387506758|3577854 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Glad this got you excited, monarch64! You should totally try it out. The reviews seem to indicate that the mid-level razor is quite good.

Hubby and I tried this out. We did not like either of the razors. He signed me up for the six blade one, and it's not very well designed. It's sort of like two- three blade razors, connected by a flexible plastic hinge, rendering the upper 3 blades useless unless you pressed on them. Also, the sides of the plastic that are on the left and right of the actual blades are too high, giving a not very close shave. He got himself the 4 blade one, and was not happy either.

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
Ended up impulse buying an expansion set for Carcassonne (the board game). I'm fairly sure he'll love that too! :twirl:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Some new winter gloves, a gun cleaning kit and new brakes on his truck. Boring I know! I can't think of anything else.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1387571997|3578279 said:
PintoBean|1387506758|3577854 said:

Hubby and I tried this out. We did not like either of the razors. He signed me up for the six blade one, and it's not very well designed. It's sort of like two- three blade razors, connected by a flexible plastic hinge, rendering the upper 3 blades useless unless you pressed on them. Also, the sides of the plastic that are on the left and right of the actual blades are too high, giving a not very close shave. He got himself the 4 blade one, and was not happy either.

Glad you posted this Manderz...I was intrigued by it when I saw it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hubby...ipad mini.

Kids?
Legos - all into the Hobbit characters. I just spent $21 on Gandalf the White for my son. For my daughter, a lego scuba diver, $12. Those minifigures are addictive!!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1387227893|3575538 said:
I also got him a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yr.

That's what I gave DH for his birthday last month. :twirl: For Christmas I got him some beer glasses (he collects them) from Lagunitas and Three Floyds, a new office chair for his guitar room and the new Chicago Diner (veggie restaurant) cookbook.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my husband two Pacsafe wallets. They came in two sizes and I wasn't sure which he would like. He doesn't know about that. He asked for some blue tooth head phones for running and some other techie thing that I don't have any idea what it is for. He really didn't have a lot on his list this year. I didn't really either though.

AMC, you really scored! Your DH will be so excited!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results