shape
carat
color
clarity

Harness to booster or dedicated booster for 5.5 year old?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
In a very unfortunate turn of events, my 5.5 year old's Britax Frontier was rendered unusable (my dad removed a key part of the seat and Britax said they don't recommend using it at all, either harnessed or booster mode). I'd planned on handing it down to my 3.5 year old when he outgrew his harness seats, because by then, I would feel comfortable with my daughter in a dedicated booster seat.

While she is still harnessed in her Radian and I'm not in a rush to booster her at all, I need to figure out what seat to replace the Frontier with. I do believe in extended harnessing, but honestly, I don't know if realistically she'll still be harnessed when she's 7. She does have a Graco Nautilus in my sister's car that we're using temporarily and out of curiosity, I tried her out it in it boostered and she fits; I posted on a car seat safety page and they confirmed that the belt fit is good. They also recommended starting to booster train her, which I would probably do once we put the Nautilus back in my sister's car.

The hitch is that my 3.5 year old is tall- he's the same height as my daughter (42.25") and he's long torsoed, which means growing out of seats quicker than usual is probable. Should I buy her replacement seat with the thought that he'd get her seat eventually? His torso height means he would outgrow the Nautilus around 5.5 and the Frontier at 7.5. With him, I'm positive he won't be ready to booster at 5.5, but again, I doubt I'd use the Frontier to its full capacity either when he's 7.5.

Dedicated Booster

Pros: cheaper now
Cons: a little earlier than I wanted DD to booster; will need a new seat for DS down the road

Harness to Booster (most likely a Frontier for its height)

Pros: lets DD stay harnessed for as long as I want; can be handed down to DS
Cons: expensive (missed the Thanksgiving sales, darn it!); DD would only get a year's use out of it

Sorry if this is long and it seems like I'm obsessing over it. It's just that I've spent a lot of money already on various seats for these guys (think I've had 12 seats total so far) and I want to get this right.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Re: Harness to booster or dedicated booster for 5.5 year old

From the research I've done, as of right now there is nothing to show that 'extended harnessing' is in any way safer than using a booster IF the child is sitting in the booster seat properly. So it really has more to do with the maturity of the child and their ability to resist the urge to move around or sit improperly once they have the freedom to do so with using a seat belt. In your case, if you thought your daughter was doing well with the booster, I would probably go with that and then reassess for your son. I've got a 4.5 year old who is not mature enough yet to sit without a harness, but I could see it being soon. He can completely undo his harness and get out of the car himself now, and he knows not to do that until the car has stopped and been turned off.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Re: Harness to booster or dedicated booster for 5.5 year old

I would get a booster for your DD now, and then decides on DS later on. My DD is almost 5.5 and had been in a booster for about 4 months now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results