shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting ideas for a 4 mm stone?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I got my christmas demantoid! I love it. In our weird mixed lighting at home, it looks almost pastel, but in the horrid flourescents at home it really lights up :) It is not super-saturated, but I like that it has some yellow without looking olive-y. More of a lime color.

I am horrible at photos, but here's one with a flash (I just can't get my phone to pick up the color right. bah. One of these days I will get on top of taking actual photos with my real camera again...)

deman1_0.jpg

I know demantoid is not the best ring stone, but I do want to do a ring, because I want to be able to look at it while I'm wearing it. So I know I'll need a protective sort of setting to minimize potential damage, but I also want to see as much of this little beast as possible. This isn't actually going to happen for a while but if anybody has some itty bitties in interesting settings, or ideas, feel free to post them. :) Side stones, halos, no side stones... just trying to get some ideas!

I actually have a ring it would fit in perfectly but it was my mother's first engagement ring, with her little diamond, so I'd feel weird about using it. Plus it would probably leave the stone too unprotected anyway.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, your demantoid arrived. Do you mind posting Litnon's picture of it?

As for settings, it is a bit more complicated due to the softness of the stone. I do not recommend bezelling it because the demantoid could get damaged underneath the bezel during the setting process without your being aware of it. I think the safest route is prong set it as low as possible with a halo around it to give it a small measure of protection. If halos don't float your boat, an antique square illusion setting is both protective and helps it look bigger.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Looks nice in your photo. Congratulations on early Christmas! I bet you LOVE Santa.

First, I vote rose gold for a setting. A halo might give you more finger coverage -- but you have teensy tiny fingers, right? Here are some antique Russian demantoid rings to give you ideas on how different settings would look:

Regular halo -- would not necessarily need to be diamonds. CSs would be nice too.

You can kind of see how a bezel would look. This one shows a high-ish basket & prongs, but you can squint & pretend it's a bezel. Or do it like this.

Or a double halo -- maybe of different colored stones?

These are pretty traditional -- don't know if you want something more modern? IIRC, you like simple settings, so the double halo would be out. Just to start you thinking, anyhow.

2_ct_demantoid_ring.jpg

_12808.jpg

target_ring_s.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back with a picture of the square illusion head / basket I was referring to. Sometimes the ring has filigree only and sometimes there are accent diamonds (rounds or baguettes) on each side. The stone is set low so the crown and girdle is mostly protected.

illusion_top.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, here's one of the litnon pics. The main listing pic makes it look very, very neon-limey (you can see it in the reserved section, it's very neon looking). IRL it's a bit softer and I think this pic is more representative. It's very glittery, looks like a little green diamond.

litnondem.jpg

I think I like the idea of an illusion setting, especially as I do like vintage stuff and when I initially went looking for e-rings that's what I was looking at. On the flip side, I think the right halo (cs, probably) would be really interesting. But the color is hard to match up with in a way that would be complimentary, and keep it the main attraction I think.

Someday, when I'm not paying for daycare and all, I think I'll try to get a bigger, richer one (like the second one in jf's pics above). I knew it would be sparkly, but thinking about what a really nice one would look like really has me dreaming! (everything in its time, right?)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1387467261|3577451 said:
I'm back with a picture of the square illusion head / basket I was referring to. Sometimes the ring has filigree only and sometimes there are accent diamonds (rounds or baguettes) on each side. The stone is set low so the crown and girdle is mostly protected.

I love that, and wish I could find one like that for a 4mm green tsavorite round I have.

To the OP, a rose gold setting would really help bring out the green.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Yay~~~Another 4mm russian demantoid! We've been really on a hunt for RD on PS this month.
Here is what I plan to do setting my 4.8mm RD, if it helps in anyway.

I would also like to ask Chrono whether this setting will protect the stone as well

315_1370887222_1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL,
Are there only 2 minuscule pointy things holding the stone down in the seat or am I seeing things?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1387472892|3577539 said:
OTL,
Are there only 2 minuscule pointy things holding the stone down in the seat or am I seeing things?

Now you pointed it out, I can see those two things...I always thought it's working and functioning like a bezel :shock:
Isn't it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is difficult to see but I don't think I see a lip of metal around the stone; I think I am seeing the entire crown in the setting. Any idea what is the size of the stone? If it is very small, perhaps only 2 prongs is secure enough? :confused: When I resized the picture to something that fits my finger, the green stone ended being close to 2 mm at best.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1387473683|3577548 said:
It is difficult to see but I don't think I see a lip of metal around the stone; I think I am seeing the entire crown in the setting. Any idea what is the size of the stone? If it is very small, perhaps only 2 prongs is secure enough? :confused: When I resized the picture to something that fits my finger, the green stone ended being close to 2 mm at best.

Sorry for threadjack...

here is a link with more pictures, I think it is very small, but should be bigger than 2mm?

Anyway, seems like this setting will not hold my stone strong enough...

http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/solitaire-rings/antique-russian-demantoid-gold-knot-ring/id-j_106574/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The website states that the demantoid is around 0.18 ct. Due to cut variables, it could be anywhere from 2 mm to 3 mm but is unlikely to be more than 3 mm since a 0.25 ct round demantoid averages out at 3 mm.

ETA
Found some that face up really huge for their carat weight! My little 0.4 ct demantoid is only 4 mm.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1387473683|3577548 said:

Chrono, using a graver to raise stitches like this is a pretty old fashioned way to set small, soft stones (I believe the recommendation is for up to 4-5mm). It is similar to flush setting but using the little stitches instead of hammering down the sides so the stone is somewhat recessed into the metal. The seat has to be cut quite tightly, so the stone won't move at all. 2 stitches don't seem enough but it may work for a 2mm. It wouldn't be very different from 2 prong pave work.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady D,
Thank you for the explanation. It is good to learn more about bench work; this style is a rare sight today and makes sense for a small but softer stone.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Deskjockey, I like the setting you linked. It would be great in rose gold w/that demantoid. Take a look at the Stuller catalog for similar ideas or anything that rings your chimes. Here are a couple examples -- you'd have to change the head on them, so even the bezeled ones could be done with prongs instead. These all come in rg.

71174-y-ee2acfe7-9bc4-4a26-93dd-4b81ae2cf3bb.jpg

71309-y-d-fd15f46f-ad1b-4310-8ce9-b5e916da83dd.jpg

71349-y-9a70f0fc-ed10-45b5-877a-42de28bed8f8.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like the double halo.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
It's a pretty, bright stone and will look like a little beacon in the right setting :)

FWIW, I agree with an illusion, the Bella or something along the lines of the last two JF posted. I'm sure with a bit of searching you might even find a stock setting to suit.

It's going to give a lot of joy when done!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DJ: I love what you found Addy, on etsy. The stone would look great in an art deco inspired ring with that lovely detailing around to make the rings presence appear bigger. That stone, as intensely saturated and bright as it is, will hold its own well in such a setting so I hope you pursue that possibility.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1388203494|3581677 said:
DJ: I love what you found Addy, on etsy. The stone would look great in an art deco inspired ring with that lovely detailing around to make the rings presence appear bigger. That stone, as intensely saturated and bright as it is, will hold its own well in such a setting so I hope you pursue that possibility.

I think I am. I'm having a very simple u-prong ring made by DanielM right now for my rhodolite, and have already started talking to them about making something like that. I have a few simple changes I want to make to the look but it sounds like they could do it, if they're comfortable dealing with the stone (even with all the delays mentioned on the other thread, heh. I'm a pretty patient person!)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Thought I'd link this pretty little illusion setting for a lot less than the Etsy one http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8087 It has been so well loved nearly all it's milgraining has worn off but I think the profile is very delicate and for that price you could have the milgraining reinstated or not as the funds became available.

Be aware a purchased illusion setting will always have WG/platinum around the diamond - otherwise it wouldn't be an illusion would it? :)) So if you really want YG there, custom may be the way to go.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin, that sure is pretty :) I think to get what I want I'm going to have to go full custom, but that's definitely in the inspiration pile, thank you!

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I love bumping old threads! After looking around and having to be smart about not spending too much money, I got a reproduction filigree setting for my little limeball rather than a custom design (someday... someday.).

It is rose gold, and the stone will sit a bit higher than I like (I'm going to call this ring "Bad Decision" or "Living Dangerously" haha!) but the sides should be relatively well protected.

Because the stone looked really pretty this morning I tried to get another picture. It's hard to photograph, especially with a phone. It really is quite eye catching in person.
demantoidglowy.jpg

And sitting (like I said, it's bad decision day!) on top of the setting to get an idea of how it will look.

together_1.jpg

Also, I have noticed with this setting (actually with my ering too) that it tends to want to slide around my finger and doesn't stay put. But I'm afraid to go smaller since it's very hard to get over my knuckles as it is. What are the best solutions for this? I had a ring with a metal strip sizer thing in it in the past, but I found it very irritating, and the plastic "huggy" things seem to get a lot of bad reviews. Any better ideas?

eta: does PS wash out photos or something? I swear the color looks different from what I have on the computer even though it's the same monitor.

catseye2000

Rough_Rock
I love the antique setting. Very pretty. :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
catseye2000|1398796757|3662891 said:
I love the antique setting. Very pretty. :appl:

I agree!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results