shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Bathmats are there to absorb water vs. NOT

What is the purpose of a bathmat?

• 1) For a just-showered wet person to have an absorbent thing to step on as they reach for their robe

Votes: 64 69.6%
  • 2) To keep your feet from touching cold tile and to have a nice thing to stand on: the damp towel de

Votes: 28 30.4%

• Total voters

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1387565183|3578202 said:
mayerling|1387564888|3578195 said:
I'm not sure I understand the logic of having something to stand on instead of having to stand on the cold tile. If you've already dried off, why would you need to stand on the tile anyway? Presumably you just walk out of the bathroom.

My shower is in the main bathroom which is all tile, so if I'm going to brush my teeth, do makeup, etc., it will all be on tile.

I see. I think this issue hinges on what exactly we mean by 'bathmat' and when we shower (as I said in my other thread). As an evening shower-taker (permit the word), doing make-up and even brushing teeth (which I would do at bedtime) has nothing to do with drying off. Also, for me a bathmat is what is on the side of the shower cubicle/tub, not something which can be found at other places on the bathroom floor, therefore has nothing to do with brushing or doing hair/make-up, etc.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1387565376|3578207 said:
amc80|1387565183|3578202 said:
mayerling|1387564888|3578195 said:
I'm not sure I understand the logic of having something to stand on instead of having to stand on the cold tile. If you've already dried off, why would you need to stand on the tile anyway? Presumably you just walk out of the bathroom.

My shower is in the main bathroom which is all tile, so if I'm going to brush my teeth, do makeup, etc., it will all be on tile.

I see. I think this issue hinges on what exactly we mean by 'bathmat' and when we shower (as I said in my other thread). As an evening shower-taker (permit the word), doing make-up and even brushing teeth (which I would do at bedtime) has nothing to do with drying off. Also, for me a bathmat is what is on the side of the shower cubicle/tub, not something which can be found at other places on the bathroom floor, therefore has nothing to do with brushing or doing hair/make-up, etc.

That makes sense. I have one bath mat right by the shower, then two more in front of each sink. Water belongs on none of them. :)

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dry myself, almost completely, while standing in the bath tub and then i step out on a special towel mat that i use specifically after i shower and then i remove it! I totally despise any trace of water on my bath mats!!! (DH thinks i'm crazy!).

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I get out of the shower onto the mat, then pick up my towel. When I'm done, I hang it over the heated towel rail so it dries. Everyone else in the house does the same thing (with their own bathmat, like we each have our own towels). I don't try to dry myself in the shower.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for #2 but personally I hate bath mats. I don't have anything on the floor in my bathroom. That being said, I completely dry myself before I get out of the tub. Lift one foot, dry, step out of tub, lift other foot, dry. With no mats, getting the washroom floor wet isn't really a option.

As for the bamboo stool, you would have two choices, dry your feet before, or put a mat under it. I would assume its for people who need the assistance getting out of the tub.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1387514848|3577907 said:
Impatiently waiting for Circe's rant.

Ruby59, had NO idea you were a male til you mentioned it on another thread recently!

Which tread? I am a female.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1387572132|3578281 said:

Ruby59, had NO idea you were a male til you mentioned it on another thread recently!

LOL--the way you worded your post in this thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-mia-thread-anybody-heard-from-fill-in-the-name-lately.135593/page-14']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-mia-thread-anybody-heard-from-fill-in-the-name-lately.135593/page-14[/URL] made me think YOU were part of the handful of males here! Sorry!!! :lol:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1387572416|3578284 said:
ruby59|1387572132|3578281 said:

LOL--the way you worded your post in this thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-mia-thread-anybody-heard-from-fill-in-the-name-lately.135593/page-14']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-mia-thread-anybody-heard-from-fill-in-the-name-lately.135593/page-14[/URL] made me think YOU were part of the handful of males here! Sorry!!! :lol:

Just reread my post, and that sentence definitely was not clear. Yes, I was referring to Kenny as being one of a handful of males on Pricescope.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry about the radio silence, y'all - family shiznit.

Delayed rant HERE;

Okay, so those of you who figured that I was expressing my own emotions with the all-caps? Ahahahaha, would that it were so: that was me channeling my 99% awesome and 1%superscript squared crazy spouse! I love my husband, but I think he's completely crackers when it comes to this.

From where I stand - dripping - a bathmat has exactly one purpose. To keep me from getting the floor break-your-neck slippery as I wrap the towel around my hair, reach for my robe, grab my novel off the shelf on my way out of the bath, etc. That's why it's called a BATH-mat and not a bathroom-floor accessory, or a tile-warmer, or a frikkin' hearth-rug.

I have over a yard of hair. It doesn't matter if I wring it out! It doesn't matter if I wrap it in a towel! Drip happens!

And, as FK said, after said towel has been applied, once I step out ... we're not talking floods of water. We're talking damp footprints and a few drops.

Apparently, that is too much for my fastidious spouse. He feels this strongly about, like, five things: they are, organized religion, jazz musicians, proper carbonara, people who only talk about themselves at parties, and ... the bathroom floor. It's not even just the bathmat! It's also stuff where he can stub his toes! Things you would never expect to find in a bathroom, on the floor! Things like ... scales!

Now, believe me, ladies and gentlemen. I have offered to quit watching my weight. I have offered to shave my head. But, noooooooo, he wants to have his cake and eat it, too!

And all I'm saying is, I find that to be, a) both a pain in my ass, and, b) more importantly, illogical.

Bath. Mat.

/rant concluded

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl:

Very nice rant. I completely agree. It's a silly argument.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I don't fit either category. I grab a towel while still in the shower, wrap up my hair, grab the other, step out, and dry real quick. Hubs has a pretty similar routine, though he wraps himself in one and then dries with the other.

1) We have a shower stall. Drying in the shower is impractical, at least for me, because I'd be drying the walls of the shower in addition to myself, rendering my towel nearly uselessly wet.

2) We have tile floor. If we didn't have a bath mat to absorb water, I would literally die. I'd slip, fall, and break everything.

2b) Our bathroom is an addition, so it's not quite as well heated as the rest of the house. As such, I have* to rush like a maniac to dry so as to not feel as though I'm catching hypothermia.

*Ok, ok. I probably don't HAVE to, but I hate cold with a vengeance.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I knew you were the dripper! haha... I cannot imagine you caring about a wet bath mat!

And, I repeat. Marriage is ridiculous!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread is hysterical. I thought my husband was the only one who dried off in the tub and chastised me for using the bathmat for its intended purpose, as I perceive it lol. Of course, he's the same guy who gets on me for using the sun visor in the car on a sunny day, cuz, yanno, I'm gonna wear it out..... :| But that's another thread. :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today after my shower, I did not wring my hair out, did not dry off first, and stepped onto the bath rug and shook myself off like a dog. It was so freeing. Ok, I didn't shake off like a dog, but I did step out before toweling off. I thought of this thread, and I laughed.

Everyone has their quirks and idiosyncrasies, and boy does marriage bring that out. I find myself getting annoyed with things my husband does from time to time, and I just have to stop myself and laugh about it. Because what the hell does it really matter that he prefers a different method than mine (hand-washing dishes instead of loading dishwasher, for example)? The job is getting done. Showering and what are bathmats for? Well at least everyone is clean, right? :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results