clarity

Can you control your inner pedant?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The results are in! Your inner pedant is
21% under control
You're strict like a schoolteacher.

I'm not bothered by things that I suspect are done on purpose, like the misuse of "literally." I don't think anyone thinks they actually did explode in a ball of rage, or whatever, but I am perfectly fine with saying you LITERALLY exploded in a ball of rage, because I find the mental images that brings up to be hilarious.

When I read the subject of this thread, what it brought to mind was the CW tv show "Reign." It is basically "Gossip Girl: Mary Queen of Scots Version!" It's totally hilarious in ways I doubt the creators intended. For one, there's this big tension in the show between pagans (who practice human sacrifice!) and the good Christians (I'm not sure that it's ever made explicit that they're Christian, but they're DEFINITELY NOT pagan). Mary's ladies-in-waiting, who irl I think were all also named Mary, because Mary was a ridiculously common name until the 1960s, are named Kenna, Lola, Greer, and Aylee (yes, spelled like that). It cracks me up that there are these women with such dramatically un-Christian names running around freaking out about the pagans. Somehow I don't think many other people who watch the show are bothered!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1387052182|3574282 said:
I chose teaching as a career because of the challenges. It was a perfect fit. :devil:

Well played, Isaku! You obviously chose the right profession!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about this today and I guess "PIN number" doesn't bother me because when you say it out loud, "PIN" and "pin" sound alike and "number," while technically inaccurate/repetitive, adds a point of clarification that may be necessary.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386973197|3573871 said:
My inner pedant is 45% under control. "You're a bit persnickety". :D

Wahay, I'm also a bit persnickety. All the best people are, donchaknow? :cheeky:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Yennyfire, I thought it was about pendants too! And probably aimed at me, as I just posted too many pictures of one on too many threads. I cannot even take the test. I know I am completely out of control. I have been correcting people's grammar since I was about 4 years old.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1386961947|3573752 said:
I get:
10% under control
You're a bearly contained ball of rage.

I think they're giving me too much credit.
I got the same response and I agree that I'm getting too much credit! :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1386981459|3573925 said:
Yssie|1386971199|3573850 said:
missy|1386968959|3573828 said:
Yssie|1386965657|3573784 said:
25% under control
You're strict like a schoolteacher.

I'll tolerate muddled idioms (they're usually pretty funny) but stuff like text-speak, obnoxious spelling, and grammatical oblivion drives me nuts.
Exhibit A: just a couple of days ago someone told me "you're supposed to pick up the slack when I drop the ball" :bigsmile:

My score is 20% and I am also strict like a schoolteacher. I agree with Yssie. I also cannot tolerate text speak and obvious grammatical errors. I am far from perfect re grammar but I try. I also mix up idioms/sayings so often that my dh asks me if English is my first language hahaha. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people use "I" and "me" incorrectly. That really annoys me.

I'd better brush up before meeting you in-person one day! That's one of the ones I get lazy about.

My pet peeve is lay/lie (and laid/lain). Thou shalt not go lay down, darn it!
iDeviceSpeak... It does indeed render one all thumbs...
The saying "it is what it is". I'd managed to figure that much out for myself, oddly enough, but thank you for the re-appraisal..?
"I ought to". "I ought not". Not "I ought not to". If you're going to try to be stuffy for goodness sake at least get the stuffiness right!
Hmm... okay, maybe I'm more uptight than I thought :bigsmile:

LOL no worries Yssie. For some reason I don't think it would bother me if you mixed those words up. ;))
Meeting you IRL would be worth hearing any grammatical errors. :appl:

:bigsmile: It's a definite date for One Day missy!! I'm looking forward to it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
33% but I disagree being labeled as "easily wound up". Yes, I am a bit picky, but I let these things go in others.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
26% - Not surprising.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results