shape
carat
color
clarity

Any suggestions, comments or advice on an outdoor wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soontobemarried

Rough_Rock

After looking at many reception halls and considering loads of advice, myself and my partner talked about what we really wanted. I was always looking for reception halls with gardens, instead of looking for just a garden. During this day of deep thought and reflection I watched an episode of sex and the city (my fav show!) and I saw a wedding in the Hamptons in a garden, it was beautiful and right there it hit me, I want an outdoor wedding. Ive always loved the nature and parks, maybe because im an earth sign...I dont think my mum will be overly impressed she wants me to have the 5* star, 5 course day,) But I think that with the help of a outdoor wedding planner, I could turn a garden into an enchanted beautiful wedding that reflects me and my partner. I also have a possible the place for it, my relative has a house in NY surrounded by acres of land!

Does Anyone any suggestions, comments or advice about having an outdoor wedding reception?

ps - it will be in August in NY so the weather should be good (God willing)
CP

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Go with what you love! For my first wedding, I wanted an outside wedding my parents yard. Well, my parents had issues with that and I was pushed into a more typical 5* wedding site & all the hoopla that goes with it. But what I really wanted was the nature setting. I saw the Sex in the City episode you did and loved it as well. Now, I''m planning my next wedding MY way. It will be outside this time. Here''s some things I''ve learned that you might want to consider.

1. Have a rain plan...even if that means you get married in a reception tent.
2. Tents and all the trimmings--tables, chairs, floors, heat or AC are pretty expensive. It would probably be cheaper to go with a regular hall unless you live in an expensive area. Something to keep in mind. You could do the wedding only outside and find an indoor reception area with lots of windows to make you feel more like you are outside.
3. Think about your guest''s comfort. I am getting married in the middle of July in the middle of the day. I think I''m going to buy the ladies all white paper parasols to help them keep cool (with the idea they''ll share them with their guys).
4. Remember basics like restrooms. Chances are good the relatives house cannot handle the restroom needs to you''ll need to rent toilet faciilies. Some are nicer than other so go look and thing about ways to make them more appealing to guests.
5. Be careful in choosing flowers & decor. If you''re in a windy spot put candles in hurricane vases so they don''t blow out. Choose sturdy flowers that can stand up to heat.
6. Think about parking and walking especially if you have older guests who may not be steady on uneven grass.
7. And finally...watch permit requirements for alcohol and gatherings. Some places require you to have a permit for the gathering and another for alcohol (sometimes you even have to hire security.)

Have fun planning!

jlc0604

Rough_Rock
I think outdoor weddings are great. Like IslandDreams mentioned, you MUST have a rain plan. Also, it''s true that renting all the tents/tables/linens/etc needed can really add up in cost.

You man want to check out historic mansions in your area. Many of these have outdoor garden areas, where you can have the ceremony. Then the reception is usually inside, or a combination of inside/outside. Some have patios or porches where the cocktail hour can be held, etc. With this option, you won''t need to worry about a tent. Also if it does rain, you can simply move the ceremony inside without too much hassle. This way, you can have a beutiful outdoor ceremony, with lovely outdoor pictures of gardens, etc. But when your guests are eating, drinking, and dancing, they''ll be inside where it''s cool and comfortable.

Another idea is a public garden. Again, many of these have great outdoor ceremony areas, and also some type of indoor hall (usually kind of greenhouse-like, with lots of windows) where you can have the reception.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
We are having an outdoor wedding ceremony and were thinking about an outdoor cocktail hour but our caterer convinced us it was not the best idea with the kind of food we want to serve. So i would suggest definitely hire a great caterer and discuss your menu. (For instance sushi outside in August might not be a great idea). But there are other things that should be fine for an outdoor wedding. As for renting china and linens, you''d have to do it anyway unless you book an all-inclusive wedding hall. A lot of places in New York charge you a fee for using the space in addition to the food so if you have a place, you''re likely to be saving money on that.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
We did the entire wedding/reception outdoors and I wouldn''t have had it any other way. It was in October in Pa so the trees were beautiful but the weather was so unpredictable! We were so worried until like a week before our wedding when we just decided it would work no matter what! We had the HUGE tent and also had "walls" incase it rained/got windy (which it did!) We got married at a beautiful B&B, it was hectic but great. It started raining.POURING late in the reception the power kept going out but overall it was perfect. You deffinately need to keep your guest needs in mind as far as handicap, or easily accesible restrooms, and uneven ground. Also the weather at the time of year inwhich you are planning your wedding. Have fun planning.
Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results