shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal spoiled. Now what?

larryjenkins

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any ideas for a new proposal? I found out today that my gf's father had informed her of my unannounced appearance at his house to ask for her hand in marriage. Now that she knows a proposal is in the works, I feel like the entire element of surprise is gone--which is what a proposal to us is all about!! The biggest surprise I was planning to do is spoiled.

She's laughing about it now, but I feel disappointed and angry that my months of planning just went down the drain. Plus how does one surprise someone who knows a surprise is coming? Ideas?

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Just because she knows that you are planning a proposal doesn't mean that she knows when it'll happen. I would just act like you're gonna wait until next year or something because the surprise is "ruined". Basically, just act disappointed and change the subject if she brings it up. And then once she's convinced that it won't happen, DO IT. :cheeky:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
My FI was going back and forth in his mind whether or not to ask for my fathers permission for my hand-- he was scared he'd ruin the surprise. After much thought, he decided the surprise was more important. Long story short, I wasn't surprised and now my family is still upset that he didn't ask for my hand.

You made the right decision going to her father. A strong future is built on family, not surprises. Does she know you have the ring? Did you show her father the ring? She might not be expecting it any time soon, but regardless, any woman feels amazing knowing that the man she's with wants to spend the rest of his life with her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results