clarity

Holiday Cookie Recipes

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
bumping, looking for a recipe I posted. :rodent:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yummm....AGBF's Shortbread recipe on front page.... :cheeky:
Shortbread is THE christmas biscuit in my house...if I get time I just might try these AGBF!
Thanks for posting all those years ago lol :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad this thread is still around! I was invited to a cookie exchange this weekend and needed ideas. I am going to attempt sugar cookies, cut out with holiday shapes. That is the easy part...I have to learn how to color the frosting and decorate them so they actually look like what they're supposed to be! Last time I used royal icing was probably in 6th grade. I recall not having a great handle on it back then, but I'm up for the challenge.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1386687145|3571288 said:
Shortbread is THE christmas biscuit in my house...if I get time I just might try these AGBF!

Lara, I don't know if you will look at this thread again in 2013...but thank you! I almost didn't look at the cookie thread at all this year. I always look at the holiday music thread on Pricescope; I don't know how I could skip a year of looking at cookie thread. But I believe that I do. (And I am sure that even the year that Skippy gave birth to her twins she was posting on here and baking!)

I am about to start some serious perusing of this thread!!!

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1355186246|3328080 said:
Skippy:

That is awesome! One of my most cherished Christmas memories is my brother, Mother and I would make gingerbread cookies for our tree. We (probably mostly my Mom until we got old enough to get really help) collected different cookie cutters each year so that we would have all different ones for the tree - we probably had 30-40 shapes! Then we would intricately and painstakingly decorate them with finely piped white icing. They were soooo beautiful hanging all over the tree! We kept it up into our twenties, and we would come home and decorate them in ridiculous ways - like as hippies, people we knew, monsters or cartoon characters. We would crack ourselves up making them and decorating them.

One year, our dog cottoned on to edible goodies on the tree and pulled the whole tree over by grabbing hold of one of the cookies and thinking she was home free... :lol: She never went near the tree again.

My Mom passed years ago and I was the lucky one who inherited the cookie cutters :))

Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have many more years of cookie/tree decorating with your gorgeous boys!

minousbijoux-

This is a wonderful memory. I did not read this story before. Nor did I see the photos of Skippy and her twins making the gingerbread men cookie ornaments or putting them on the twins' tree. The photos are priceless!

We, once, made gingerbread cookies. It never occurred to me to put them on the tree! It was, however, A Production. I hired my daughter's babysitter for the occasion. Without her there is no way on earth I could have managed that party. Then I invited all the children from daughter's (blessedly small) pre-school class to come bake gingerbread cookies at our house in Connecticut. (This was before we moved to Virginia. Before my daughter got ill.)

I had a client who dressed as Santa Claus and came through the backyard and to the glass sliding doors of our kitchen during the party. All the kids still believed in Santa. Each child had one large gingerbread cookie that the babysitter had, wisely, marked. After they were baked each child could decorate his own gingerbread cookie. I had a photo of the kids gathered around Santa, one on his lap, on my refrigerator for years. Such good memories of innocence and warmth! In he kitchen, of course!

Deb/AGBF

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1386707915|3571452 said:
minousbijoux|1355186246|3328080 said:
Skippy:

That is awesome! One of my most cherished Christmas memories is my brother, Mother and I would make gingerbread cookies for our tree. We (probably mostly my Mom until we got old enough to get really help) collected different cookie cutters each year so that we would have all different ones for the tree - we probably had 30-40 shapes! Then we would intricately and painstakingly decorate them with finely piped white icing. They were soooo beautiful hanging all over the tree! We kept it up into our twenties, and we would come home and decorate them in ridiculous ways - like as hippies, people we knew, monsters or cartoon characters. We would crack ourselves up making them and decorating them.

One year, our dog cottoned on to edible goodies on the tree and pulled the whole tree over by grabbing hold of one of the cookies and thinking she was home free... :lol: She never went near the tree again.

My Mom passed years ago and I was the lucky one who inherited the cookie cutters :))

Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have many more years of cookie/tree decorating with your gorgeous boys!

minousbijoux-

This is a wonderful memory. I did not read this story before. Nor did I see the photos of Skippy and her twins making the gingerbread men cookie ornaments or putting them on the twins' tree. The photos are priceless!

We, once, made gingerbread cookies. It never occurred to me to put them on the tree! It was, however, A Production. I hired my daughter's babysitter for the occasion. Without her there is no way on earth I could have managed that party. Then I invited all the children from daughter's (blessedly small) pre-school class to come bake gingerbread cookies at our house in Connecticut. (This was before we moved to Virginia. Before my daughter got ill.)

I had a client who dressed as Santa Claus and came through the backyard and to the glass sliding doors of our kitchen during the party. All the kids still believed in Santa. Each child had one large gingerbread cookie that the babysitter had, wisely, marked. After they were baked each child could decorate his own gingerbread cookie. I had a photo of the kids gathered around Santa, one on his lap, on my refrigerator for years. Such good memories of innocence and warmth! In he kitchen, of course!

Deb/AGBF

Deb: This is why I love Christmas - the good memories and community gatherings we never forget. Thank you for your story - I bet it was special for all the parents who witnessed it too. :praise:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki|1292878619|2801999 said:
Thank you Skippy for bumping and starting this thread. I've been making the Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies since the year that this thread started. This year, I am making 4 of the recipes. Double chocolate peppermint, snickerdoodles, lime meltaway, peanut butter blossom with grape jelly instead of chocolate (I was thinking peanut butter and jelly, so hopefully it will turn out yummy). I am also making a chocolate chip oatmeal, and maybe a sugar cookie. I made the double chocolate peppermint and snickerdoodles already, the doughs for the lime meltaway and peanut butter blossom are in the freezer, ready to be cut and baked.
QT, wow, that is so cool; I didn't know that. My twins were under a year so I bet I just missed this post. I bet you kids love the cookies!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1386692435|3571326 said:
Glad this thread is still around! I was invited to a cookie exchange this weekend and needed ideas. I am going to attempt sugar cookies, cut out with holiday shapes. That is the easy part...I have to learn how to color the frosting and decorate them so they actually look like what they're supposed to be! Last time I used royal icing was probably in 6th grade. I recall not having a great handle on it back then, but I'm up for the challenge.

Monnie, oh that sounds fun! The funny thing was a friend is going to a cookie party and was asking for a baklava recipe and I used the recipe a few times so I remembered I posted it here so it is nice for me to just look up what I made in the past. Anyway, I too have a cookie exchange this weekend :bigsmile: and a (white elephant) ornament exchange. Sugar cookies are a crowd pleaser! :lickout: post pics if you get a chance, knowing you, they will look so pretty! :love:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1386706915|3571442 said:
LaraOnline|1386687145|3571288 said:

Lara, I don't know if you will look at this thread again in 2013...but thank you! I almost didn't look at the cookie thread at all this year. I always look at the holiday music thread on Pricescope; I don't know how I could skip a year of looking at cookie thread. But I believe that I do. (And I am sure that even the year that Skippy gave birth to her twins she was posting on here and baking!)

I am about to start some serious perusing of this thread!!!

Deb/AGBF

I did make cookies the year the boys were born (I have no clue how I did that with lack of sleep on top of that). I will have to go check out your music thread as I have enjoyed it; I remember posting in past years!

Hi Lara! post pics if you do make some biscuits.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re:

FireGoddess|1196272561|1125652 said:
These are crazy good.  I first saw the recipe in Martha Stewart Living (years ago) and thought... hmmmm, right up my alley, but looks like too much work.  Then by coincidence a friend made them and brought them to my holiday party, and I could not STOP eating them.  Lo and behold when I asked for the recipe, she told me it was right out of the magazine.  Well, I've been making them ever since.  Now I tend to double the recipe to make a HUGE ton of cookies, but keep the logs wrapped in the freezer and just slice off a few to bake whenever I want some. 

Lime Meltaway Cookies

12 TBS ( 1 ½ sticks) butter, room temp.
1 Cup powdered sugar

Zest of two limes

2 TBS freshly squeezed lime juice
1 TBS vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups of all purpose flour + 2 extra TBS.
2 TBS cornstarch
¼ tsp. Salt

1. Cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar in a small to medium bowl until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy. 

2. In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.

3. Between 8-by-12-inch pieces of parchment paper (or wax paper), roll dough into one 2 to 2 ½ -inch-diameter log. Chill in freezer at least 1 hour (can store logs in freezer for several weeks). Can roll into two smaller logs, but makes smaller cookies.

4. Heat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from log; slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.

5. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss to coat. Bake or freeze any remaining dough. Store baked cookies in an airtight container.

ETA:  Don't even think of not coating them in powdered sugar at the end...they're not very sweet otherwise!!

18.gif

I actually made these tonight. just an fyi, they do not expand much so don't expect a big cookie. They taste good. It says they make 3 dozen, but the cookies are tiny! The picture makes them look huge. I am going to shake them in a bag of powdered sugar to more evenly coat them

img_7197.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Merry Christmas Miss Skippy! :wavey:

I recently tried this recipe as I thought, Why am I buying (really good) shortbread cookies when I am sure I could make some? I forgot Deb posted a recipe in here, so I went searching. I bookmarked 3 to try, but after trying this one I see no need to go on. It is not traditional in the sense that it's a cut out bar, or baked in a shortbread pan, though the latter might be possible. They are just drop cookies, no need to knead or roll out. And they, are, heavenly. They truly do melt in your mouth, with ultra buttery goodness. :lickout: Please, do not substitute the butter!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Melt---In---Your---Mouth-Shortbread/

p.s. I leave plain, no icing, as I think it would detract from the simplicity of the butter flavor. Also, I let the stand mixer beat the butter for 10-15 minutes as some of the commenters suggested. It gets light as air!

Deb, I would be interested to hear the difference if you try these.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1387028867|3574102 said:

I don't think I am going to make any cookies for Christmas this year, Ellen. I bought canned tart cherries for the first time in several years to make the cherry cakes my family used to love on Christmas. (I was shocked that each can now costs over $7.00!.) I see that your shortbread cookie recipe calls for ingredients just like mine except that yours uses cornstarch as well. Maybe after the holidays I will get a chance to try the recipe. Thank you for posting it. I would love to try it!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Re:

Skippy|1386993663|3574005 said:
FireGoddess|1196272561|1125652 said:
These are crazy good.  I first saw the recipe in Martha Stewart Living (years ago) and thought... hmmmm, right up my alley, but looks like too much work.  Then by coincidence a friend made them and brought them to my holiday party, and I could not STOP eating them.  Lo and behold when I asked for the recipe, she told me it was right out of the magazine.  Well, I've been making them ever since.  Now I tend to double the recipe to make a HUGE ton of cookies, but keep the logs wrapped in the freezer and just slice off a few to bake whenever I want some. 

ETA:  Don't even think of not coating them in powdered sugar at the end...they're not very sweet otherwise!!

18.gif

I actually made these tonight. just an fyi, they do not expand much so don't expect a big cookie. They taste good. It says they make 3 dozen, but the cookies are tiny! The picture makes them look huge. I am going to shake them in a bag of powdered sugar to more evenly coat them

Skippy,

Those cookies look superb!!! As does all your baking. But I particularly want to grab one of those cookies. I know they would melt in my mouth! I can envision the taste!!

Deb
:wavey:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

I recently tried this recipe as I thought, Why am I buying (really good) shortbread cookies when I am sure I could make some? I forgot Deb posted a recipe in here, so I went searching. I bookmarked 3 to try, but after trying this one I see no need to go on. It is not traditional in the sense that it's a cut out bar, or baked in a shortbread pan, though the latter might be possible. They are just drop cookies, no need to knead or roll out. And they, are, heavenly. They truly do melt in your mouth, with ultra buttery goodness. :lickout: Please, do not substitute the butter!

p.s. I leave plain, no icing, as I think it would detract from the simplicity of the butter flavor. Also, I let the stand mixer beat the butter for 10-15 minutes as some of the commenters suggested. It gets light as air!

Yay, Ellen is here! How are you? MERRY CHRISTMAS to you as well. My boys love shortbread; I will have to try your recipe since they are drop cookies (less time lately).

Deb, the cookies I made are super easy and even better the next day! :cheeky: I shared a few with the boys and they keep saying more cookies! lol I wish I could share my cookies with you and a cup of tea; they actually are great little tea cookies

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1387029654|3574105 said:

I don't think I am going to make any cookies for Christmas this year, Ellen. I bought canned tart cherries for the first time in several years to make the cherry cakes my family used to love on Christmas. (I was shocked that each can now costs over $7.00!.) I see that your shortbread cookie recipe calls for ingredients just like mine except that yours uses cornstarch as well. Maybe after the holidays I will get a chance to try the recipe. Thank you for posting it. I would love to try it!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
$7 bucks?? Maybe you should skip making the cakes and just give them the can of cherries. Seems like that's more than enough... :bigsmile: ;))

Yes, our cookie ingredients are quite similar, but mine has half the flour of yours so I was curious if that would make a difference. But don't knock yourself out, if you make them fine, if not fine. The holidays are becoming rediculously stressful, and I'll not have any part in that! ::)

Have a very Merry Christmas Deb.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1387040231|3574168 said:

Yay, Ellen is here! How are you? MERRY CHRISTMAS to you as well. My boys love shortbread; I will have to try your recipe since they are drop cookies (less time lately).
I am really good miss, thanks for asking.

How are you, and those munchkins? And what's this about not having as much time? I don't get it. :lol: ;))

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I went to a cookie exchange and took my Lime Meltaways and had one of the best cookies. I asked for the recipe and got this! These are almost like brownies w/a slight more structured consistency (not sure if I am explaining that right) but here is the recipe.

Chocolate Crinkles
1 box chocolate cake mix (I used duncan hines)
1/2 carton cool whip (I used about 3/4's)
1 egg
mix together, roll into balls (any size you like) roll balls in powdered sugar and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min. I coat my hands with a little powdered sugar before rolling because they can stick to your hands. Enjoy!!

ELLEN, lol! I know you, know what I am talking about. ;-) the little ones are great, they love lights, thanks!

MONNIE, how was your cookie exchange?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy! It was alright...there were about 8 of us and honestly no one made anything super impressive! I ended up NOT making actual sugar cookies and frosting them, I just ran out of time. Instead, I just melted chocolate in the crock pot and went to town dipping stuff. Pretzel rods, and I made those Ritz cracker sandwich cookies--I had forgotten all about those, my mom used to make them when I was little! They were the first to go, I should've made more! I crushed up some candy canes and sprinkled that on some of the pretzels, just for fun.

xmascookies2013.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1387401733|3577042 said:
Skippy! It was alright...there were about 8 of us and honestly no one made anything super impressive! I ended up NOT making actual sugar cookies and frosting them, I just ran out of time. Instead, I just melted chocolate in the crock pot and went to town dipping stuff. Pretzel rods, and I made those Ritz cracker sandwich cookies--I had forgotten all about those, my mom used to make them when I was little! They were the first to go, I should've made more! I crushed up some candy canes and sprinkled that on some of the pretzels, just for fun.

Monarch - I can always use a no-bake cookie recipe, and your dipped goodies look great! Are the Ritz cookies filled with something?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1387402715|3577054 said:

Monarch - I can always use a no-bake cookie recipe, and your dipped goodies look great! Are the Ritz cookies filled with something?

Yes, they have just a tiny schmear of creamy peanut butter in them. I suppose you could use a fruity jam or something, though! And I just used almond bark that you melt in the microwave to dip those in, and then scattered them with some cute sprinkles I found at the grocery. Very, very easy and fast.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a fun and versatile recipe! Thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

those are so pretty, I love chocolate dipped pretzels!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy123 said:
These are ohhhhhhh so good!

Chocolate Peanut butter balls (I can't make these because I end up eating almost half of them)

Chocolate Balls Recipes

Ingredients:
1 cup butter or margarine
1 1/4 cup peanut butter -- smooth or chunky (maybe Skippy pb)
2.gif
3.gif
hehe
1 pound powdered sugar
3 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
6 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 large Hershey candy bar -- chopped

Directions:

Melt butter in a heavy 2 quart saucepan over low heat. Add peanut butter, stir until well blended. Remove from heat. Combine sugar and Rice Krispies in a large bowl. Pour hot peanut butter mixture over all. Mix thoroughly using hands. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on wax paper lined cookie sheets. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

Combine chocolate chips, Hershey Bar, in top of double boiler. Place over hot water until melted. Dip chilled peanut butter balls in chocolate mixture to coat. Place on wax paper lined sheets to set chocolate. When dry, store in refrigerator.

Makes 3 dozen

Note: I have used graham crackers and coconut too w/the rice krispies. Also, once I made them w/graham crackers instead of the rice krispies.

This thread is so fun. I have noted several recipes to try. So far, I have tried this one. Delicious! Tasted a bit familiar but couldn't quite place it. My boys figured it out. Tastes similar to a butterfinger! YUM! Big hit at my house!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1387468127|3577470 said:
Skippy123 said:
These are ohhhhhhh so good!

Chocolate Peanut butter balls (I can't make these because I end up eating almost half of them)

Chocolate Balls Recipes

Ingredients:
1 cup butter or margarine
1 1/4 cup peanut butter -- smooth or chunky (maybe Skippy pb)
2.gif
3.gif
hehe
1 pound powdered sugar
3 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
6 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 large Hershey candy bar -- chopped

Directions:

Melt butter in a heavy 2 quart saucepan over low heat. Add peanut butter, stir until well blended. Remove from heat. Combine sugar and Rice Krispies in a large bowl. Pour hot peanut butter mixture over all. Mix thoroughly using hands. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on wax paper lined cookie sheets. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

Combine chocolate chips, Hershey Bar, in top of double boiler. Place over hot water until melted. Dip chilled peanut butter balls in chocolate mixture to coat. Place on wax paper lined sheets to set chocolate. When dry, store in refrigerator.

Makes 3 dozen

Note: I have used graham crackers and coconut too w/the rice krispies. Also, once I made them w/graham crackers instead of the rice krispies.

This thread is so fun. I have noted several recipes to try. So far, I have tried this one. Delicious! Tasted a bit familiar but couldn't quite place it. My boys figured it out. Tastes similar to a butterfinger! YUM! Big hit at my house!

oh those! those are evil, because I use to eat soooooo many. lol My sons are allergic to peanut butter so I no long make them, but, mmmmm, enjoy! :D :lickout:

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Ooohhh...those chocolate peanut butter balls sound delicious and dangerous!

I just wanted to say that this thread inspired me to make some chocolate dipped pecan shortbread for my toddler's play group gift exchange, and I'm so glad I did. I wasn't aware that one of the little girls had an egg allergy, and hasn't gotten to have any (baked) holiday treats this year, but she was actually able to eat the cookies I brought! She was so excited not to feel left out.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
parrot tulips|1387576177|3578317 said:

I just wanted to say that this thread inspired me to make some chocolate dipped pecan shortbread for my toddler's play group gift exchange, and I'm so glad I did. I wasn't aware that one of the little girls had an egg allergy, and hasn't gotten to have any (baked) holiday treats this year, but she was actually able to eat the cookies I brought! She was so excited not to feel left out.

aww that is great! sounds delicious too! How are you PT? I miss chatting w/you. How is your daughter?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

aww that is great! sounds delicious too! How are you PT? I miss chatting w/you. How is your daughter?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

aww that is great! sounds delicious too! How are you PT? I miss chatting w/you. How is your daughter? I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a new recipe I tried out this year, and they are dangerously good. Rich, but not in a heavy way. (read, you could eat a LOT of these lol) And really simple and fast to make.

Roasted Pecan Clusters

3 cups chopped pecans (I lean toward a rough chop)
3 Tbsp. melted butter
12 oz. chocolate candy coating/almond bark

Toss nuts with melted butter and spread out on cookie sheet with sides.

Bake at 300 for 30 minutes, stirring twice.

Cool nuts.

While nuts are baking, shave/chop up candy coating. Melt in heavy pot over low heat, or in top of double boiler til melted. Cool 2 minutes.

Mix nuts with coating, drop by spoonfuls (teaspoon if you want more small ones, or soup spoon for less larger) on wax papered cookie sheet.

Cool completely (throwing in frig speeds up process)

Store in tin in cool place, frig works as well.

Enjoy!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh those sound DELICIOUS Ellen! :lickout:

I made this today; it isn't a cookie but a Zucchini Carrot bread, which makes a good gift. It makes 2 loaves

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sugar ( I like brown sugar so you can do half white, half brown)
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Sift together, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
Add the sugar and blend.
Mix the eggs with the oil and add that to the flour mixture, mix again.
Mix the zucchini, carrots and walnuts, add and mix.
Put this in 2 greased loaf pans and bake for approx 50 minutes or until done in the center.
recipe from: http://www.food.com/recipe/zucchini-carrot-bread-67447

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results