shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you buy your DH for 10-year wedding anni?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
PS is full of so many clever creatives, I thought I'd put this out there:
What DOES one buy a (rather crusty) 40-something workaholic business man slash biological scientist for his 10th wedding anniversary?

Happening right after Christmas.
Tells me if I waste any money on jewellery - cufflinks etc - he'll chuck it in the bin to teach me a lesson.
He's a cheery old soul lol.

Fishing gear???!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lara, what does he love to do in his off time? Does he love fishing and need fishing gear? Does he love reading non fiction? Basically what are his hobbies and what does he get lost in doing? That's where I would focus. Something practical that he could use because he sounds like a no nonsense type of individual. Personally I think gifts are supposed to be frivolous and something one would never buy for themselves but this doesn't sound like a good idea for your dh LOL. Practical and useful all the way for him!

Congrats on 10 years!!! Now, more importantly, what is he getting you? Perhaps you need to direct him our way... :naughty:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spa day? Don't laugh... For our anniversary we did a couples massage and dinner at a nice resort in town. It was a great day and I got to enjoy some quality time with him...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get him the same thing he's getting you for Christmas. But that's just me. Or let him pick something out for himself if there's restrictions on what you can/can't get.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I don't have any great ideas unfortunately. My DH and I just do small stuff, like favorite candy/cards, dinner out, etc. It's very easy that way!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about something for the both of you so you can enjoy too? Like a broadway show or concert? Then you can make a whole day out of it and go out for a special anniversary meal too. A gift for the both of you.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Since he has made his wish known that he wants nothing material, I would make him a card or write him a letter. Tell him what he means to you and how much you value him. I hope that will touch his heart. Regardless, of his crusty attitude he probably still wishes to hear of your love and affection.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ps pals you have made me smile.
I'm off to sleep now but shall consider all of your suggestions carefully...even Packrat's LOL.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi there, my husband is a bit of an outdoorsman and for his birthday I bought him a smoker. I bought it from Bass Pro Shops. He has already smoked wings, a brisket, and a pork butt! It is quite the manly gift and he was super excited about it!!! ha ha!! Good Luck!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about an event or a day-trip (for you both) but with his preferences in mind? A day at the lake or the shore, tickets to his favorite team, visit an aquarium, go to a shooting range... something he loves to do that you two can share?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Our 10th isn't until Oct 2014, but we upgraded my diamond and bought a new living room set (DH has been dying for new furniture). We'll also do an international trip.

What about a nice trip somewhere?

Congratulations!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We'd plan a trip to either one of our favorite places or somewhere we've always wanted to go. We don't buy gifts for each other really, but we love planning getaways. Is there some place your husband's always wanted to go?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My husband sounds a little like yours - he's very practical, hates stuff, and is tremendously open about telling you when you've gotten something he hates (an apocryphal family story involves him throwing a tie his mother got him onto the fire). I tend to go for "experience" gifts, which are hit-or-miss ... he LOVED the Lego art exhibition I took him to for Father's Day this year but felt immensely let down by the balloon ride (this may be because the closest one I could find was two hours away, and he hates driving). The alternative is kitschy hobby stuff - XKCD cartoons, Lego AT-ATs, ThinkGeek coffee mugs, that sort of thing. He HAS hobbies, but they're sufficiently esoteric that I know I'd get it wrong. Worse than him trying to buy jewelry for me!

For the 10th, given the experience of the balloon-ride-that-wasn't (THAT's $500 bucks I won't see again), I'm planning to put together an itinerary for the Asian vacation he's been dreaming of for as long as I've known him, and, uh, bite the bullet on going with him although there's little I can think of that I want to do LESS (don't get me wrong, Asia is full of amazing places, but a 20 hour flight is no one's friend). Does yours have any "bucket list" type things he hasn't gotten to do yet?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
These are all very interesting responses!
My husband is a mad keen traveller, but we run our own business now, which means that for the past 10 years we have not been able to travel really. Our last 'big' trip was to Burma...for our honeymoon!
So, yes, we are planning on a Europe trip - coinciding with a massive sports event lol.
But that is in three years time (it all revolves around the sports event!). :saint:

Circe, your story about the balloon trip has me laughing... although it's just possible my husband might LOVE that...
I got him an all night fishing trip one year, straight out from the city - which he LOVED!! He caught masses of fish and had a fabulous time.

Furniture is a good idea as well...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is Dec 10th and I have zero idea what I will even get my husband for Christmas (other than some small food items). I am so easy as I always have a jewelry wishlist. But he is impossible to buy for. Very often for our anniversary, I get a gift and he doesn't. But if I ask him and he says he can't think of anything, then why spend money on something he really doesn't want? Often it is just better to buy something when the opportunity arises that you really want. We've been married over 30 years, so it apparently works for us! Good luck!

(We will travel more when he retires but he just can't be gone for long periods now.)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Men seem to be about 2 things: their TV and their comfy chair.

That really seems to be about it. :bigsmile:

Oh, and a nice car.

How about Netflix, or Amazon Prime (lots of free on demand movies come with the delivery service)? We have a "smart TV" which makes it really easy to switch to those services and watch the shows. If you don't have a smart TV, they have $50 devices that plug in and can take you to Netflix.

After many years of searching for the ultimate comfy chair, we bought this one from Costco.com, which is on sale now. Plus, shipping is included in the price. I like it because it's not a big, hideous recliner. :appl:

http://www.costco.com/Reid-Reclining-Chair-and-Ottoman.product.100069854.html

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
My husband would be very happy with a long massage and an even longer dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant. He's easy to please and doesn't care for "stuff" so I have no worries.

Looks like you need a short break away right now! We often go away for 2-4 days rather than a longer trip which we don't seem to have the time for very often.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I don't have a lot of money to spend on a gift, my husband is always happy with a good meal at a nice restaurant (without the kids of course) and a some fun time in the bedroom ::) Simple, but effective. He is a man who enjoys the simple, sensual pleasures in life.

If I am feeling very generous, then he can go golfing the next day too ;))

Our 10th anniversary together is next year and we are hoping to take a small vacation, just us two.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Organizing systems for his outdoor stuff (shelves, hooks, etc)

Long weekend away for the two of you (even just somewhere local-ish?)

Multi-room sound system -- something that would allow him to listen to music or sports or whatever in rooms other than just the living room in his chair so he can be up doing other things and still enjoy listening to stuff. (I had neighbors who had this and it was great!)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A guy bling... ;))

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hello there! Please excuse my slow response, I have been away to a business conference.
DH says he wants a Boston Whaler (boat) *eyeroll*. :tongue:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1387111805|3574591 said:
Hello there! Please excuse my slow response, I have been away to a business conference.
DH says he wants a Boston Whaler (boat) *eyeroll*. :tongue:

Wow, he's not so practical now is he (at least when it comes to his gifts/wants 8) ). What is that saying? Best two times in a boat owner's life-when he buys his boat and when he sells it...something like that. Talk about money and energy drain LOL. I mean kudos to boat owners because there really is nothing like owning one but man, the work and money and time involved.

Lara, if he is serious then truly anything you want you should be able to get by those standards...at least IMO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results