shape
carat
color
clarity

My story - cushion halo - Chris @ ERD, MCF & more

davidzholland

Rough_Rock
I knew from the start my budget was $15-20k, and she wanted a cushion cut halo as big as possible (aiming for a 2 carat). I ended up with ERD and my now fiancee and I couldn't be happier.

--

I first did a fair amount of online research about cushions, prices, but didn't yet learn much about which store to go to.

At the recommendation of a friend I went to Michael C. Fina's store in NYC. The store is very nice, and first impressions were great, but the associate ended up being too pushy and not knowledgeable enough about cushions (they told me there isn't a vintage cut and they are all the same cut). Needless to say, I didn't go back as I want my jeweler to know more than I do.

I quickly did more research and made appointments with ERD, Leon Mege and Steven Kirsch, after learning about the quality and craftsmanship of hand-forged rings.

All three seem to me to be highly qualified and capable of producing essentially the same ring. ERD edged out the other two in the areas of customer service, selection of vintage cushions, and price.

Chris @ ERD was far and away the most helpful and the least pushy, although Steven Kirsch brought a lot to the table as well but lacked in selection (he sourced two stones for me to look at, neither of which I really liked). Chris spent hours with me just informing me of all the options and considerations I should be weighing. He's just a nice guy and like Leon and Steven, really knows his stuff.

Chris let me view a lot of diamonds - probably 10-20. And, after narrowing the options I ended up looking at the one I chose on four or five separate occasions (in total).

I was worried about the name - Engagement Rings Direct - as it doesn't sound like a place that offers extremely high quality, hand forged rings. I was worried the quality would be inferior to Leon and Steven's rings, but Chris was able to console my fears by showing me several finished products in person that even under 10x loupe looked nearly identical in craftsmanship to Leon and Steven's rings (I'm no expert, but I did get quite good at using the loupe). You can also look at all the wonderful photos and videos Chris has posted all over the web, but in person is a good way to get a sense for the quality.

The center stone Chris hooked me up with was the best 2 carat stone in my price range from anywhere I viewed, which is really what sealed the deal. All the other up sides to ERD just instilled confidence.

And, I know it's a little materialistic (but hey we're talking outrageous amounts of money on a ring), but the diamond building ERD is in is a much nicer building than the one across the street that both Steven and Leon's offices are in. When my fiancee goes in for regular cleanings and possibly a resize, I feel better sending her to the nicer diamond building as opposed to the tired building Leon and Steven are in. Not a deal breaker, but a definite plus.

Oh, Chris also let me have the center stone appraised by a nearby independent appraiser before I made my decision and before I paid anything. He just had one of his staff walk carry the stone along side me as we went over to the appraiser.

In the end, I went back to the same appraiser who thought $3800 for the setting was quite overpriced. I did, however, negotiate what the appraiser and I thought to be a good price for the center stone.

I can offer criticism about a few aspects of ERD in the spirit of complete honesty (see cons below), but these were so trivial they didn't make a difference. All the pros of going with ERD made it just such a pleasant experience.

I came away feeling confident I made a really smart decision. My fiancee and all her jealous coworkers and friends affirm that as well.

I couldn't recommend more to avoid the low-to-medium-end brick and mortar stores and head to ERD. I also recommend going to Steven and Leon, as they are comparable - but, as you can see ERD edges them out.

Pros:
1) The ring is quality, and comparable to other high end hand forged rings I viewed like at Leon and Steven
2) Friendly service, not pushy at all
3) They really spent an inordinate amount of time educating me about everything and encouraged I take my time and view elsewhere as well
4) The selection was far and away the best in vintage cushions. If doing this again, I'd also go to Good Old Gold, but that's a trek.
5) The price ended up being what I think is fair. Not way overpriced, and not under priced. Exactly where it should be. I had to negotiate a little.
6) The building they are in is nice. Minor, but important if my fiancee ends up going there every 6 months for cleanings.
7) They let me get the stone appraised by an independent appraiser before I made the purchase
8) Their buy back policy and warranty is far superior to the others.
9) They seem like they will be really helpful and err on the side of the customer when it comes to cleanings and maintenance.

Cons:
1) I negotiated the price down, and Chris was a little testy. Otherwise, he was a complete gentleman. Kind of expected, though, when negotiating such a high priced item.
2) Everyone at every jewelry store/office I went to said I must ship out of state to avoid the sales tax. I did end up shipping out of state, but the whole shipping process seemed very shady. It all worked out fine, without a hitch, but I was worried nonetheless. I probably won't pay the sales tax when I file my taxes, but I'm still considering it.
3) The independent appraiser thought the hand-forged setting was overpriced, but he did seem really (genuinely) impressed with the quality.
4) I ended up about 5% over budget, but about 300% happier than I expected I would be.
5) The name - Engagement Rings Direct - made it seem like they wouldn't have the quality of the other hand forged competitors. I was wrong, they have the quality. What's in a name.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results