shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald - Value and "Fair" Price - HELP!

rus2t124

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have procured two emeralds from my local jeweler, and was wondering if he is quoting me a fair price. I have attached some pictures of the two Emeralds. I really appreciate any feedback and thoughts on whether you guys think the price is fair. Both emeralds come with GIA certificates, and I have verified that these reports are genuine on the GIA website. Thanks!

Emerald 1: 2.19 carats; Zambian; GIA certificate says level of treatment is F1; very tiny inclusions;
Price: $7,800

Emerald 2: 2.05 carats; Colombian; GIA certificate says the emerald hasn't gone through any treatments!; Flawless (no visible inclusions)
Price: $11,000

Side by Side:

img_0021_2.jpg

img_0024_2.jpg

img_0028_2.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
They're both a bit more than we're used to paying here on PS.

Check the sticky thread at the top for trusted vendors, and search their wares for emeralds. You'll see what I mean.

But they are beautiful, trying taking a picture in which the emerald takes up the majority of the frame. They are very hard to see. They may be of extraordinary quality. Gemstones are all about color and quality.

Here's a 1 carat that I paid under $1000 for, Somalian (so old material), zero treatment and no oiling.

_12458.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Brick and mortar store pricing will be higher than pricing from the internet vendors in the "recommended vendors" thread.

iLander, do you have a thread for your emerald?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do look lovely - both of them. I'm not that familiar with prices on emeralds, but I would suggest you check places like Embassy Emeralds.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think they are expensive for the treatment level on the one (unless I misunderstand what F1 is) and the hideous window on the other.

rus2t124

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

@VapidLapid: F1 as per GIA = minor enhancements; F2 = moderate; F3 = significant enhancements. I am not too familiar with emeralds; would you mind elaborating on the term "window"?

@iLander: would you providing the link to the trusted vendor thread you mentioned. I have attached an additional picture for Emerald 1 as well below.

img_0030.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
while a window in a fine emerald is not the biggest deal, the one on the right bothers me, even taking the tilt into account

emeraldwindow.jpg

rus2t124

Rough_Rock
Thanks VapidLapid and all. I am definitely leaning towards Emerald 1. Not sure about the price still.

Any suggestions on where I can find a similar emerald for much less. I checked out embassyemeralds (they definitely have some nice ones) but didn't find an emerald with the following stats: ~2carats, intense green color, GIA/AGL certified, minimal inclusions, and minimal treatment (F1 on the GIA scale); Zambian or Colombian but would prefer the latter.

I spoke to my jeweler, and for Emerald 1, he is going to charge me $3650 to just make the ring. Sounds a little high. Here are the details he provided. What do you guys think?
Roughly 30 smaller side stones with ~0.45cts of diamonds (F/G color and VS2/SI1 clarity)
2 E/C side stones - ~0.44cts total weight ( minimum F/VS2 quality)
8-10 grams of platinum

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The best thing to do is to ask multiple vendors to quote you for comparable. settings. If you stone is a calibrated size, you may be able to order a stock setting (like Stuller), which less expensive than a custom setting.

You will also have to take into account the quality of the work. I would ask to see custom settings they have already done.

In the recommended vendors thread , you can look around at vendors like ERD and DanielM for CAD/cast.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Going to buck the crowd, here - I think you'd be looking for a while, even through our very talented *recommended vendors*, before coming across a 2ct + Colombian stone with nice colour, No treatment, and Flawless. If it didn't have a GIA certificate, I think a lot of people would be telling you that it was too clean to be true. It's pretty common for people to advise that you not pay for clarity you can't see, (e.g. paying a premium for flawless vs VVS), but that stone is a real rarity and worth considering if you've got the budget and it appeals to your eye. I wouldn't judge the window based on that photo alone - get one looking straight down through it where it's the focus of the shot, if you can.

The other, I think, is more expensive than you'd pay online for a relatively available stone. I'd reach out to several of the dealers recommended and ask what they've got - embassy, at least, generally has a fair selection that haven't been posted yet, and they're willing to look around for the *right* stone for you.

I would definitely ask for comparison quotes from at least a couple of jewelers - the quotes are free and you can see lots of examples of their work here!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricing seems fair to me considering the colour, size and treatment level. The question for me is how accurate is the colour in the pictures? I take it since this is a B&M store, you've seen the two emeralds in person? The quotation on the setting is high and I would shop around for quotes.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Go to the colored stones home page. The second thread is "can we start a list of respected CS Vendors?"

If it was a snake, it would have bitten you.

Go to last page, its the most updated.

rus2t124

Rough_Rock
@Chrono: thanks. I have the stones in my possession actually (the jeweler has a return policy). And I have definitely viewed the heck out of these stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How accurate is the colour of the emeralds that you see compared to what is pictured? This is the main concern for me at this point in order to help determine fair pricing.

rus2t124

Rough_Rock
the pictures are quite accurate for both emeralds in terms of color and clarity (I probably need a better camera to capture the jardin for Emerald 1 )

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rus2t124|1386380963|3569185 said:
I have attached an additional picture for Emerald 1 as well below.

What is the light source used for this picture? How strong is the light and how far away is it? Was flash used?
It looks like the Zambian and Colombian emerald have very similar colouration?
If you have the time, can you please photograph both emeralds on the back of your hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results