shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you prefer as a promise ring?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies!
I hope all of you are doing great and I hope some of you get removed from the list with all the holidays approaching fast :)

My BIL has reached out to me to help him find his gf of 1.5 years (they are in their early 20's and just recently graduated and moved in together) a promise ring for Christmas. He's still saving for the e-ring but wants something around the 500.00 mark right now. We are near Toronto and so I reached out to a fellow PSer who's 'local' and has a ton of bling-and she gave me some awesome options.

My e-ring is a 1.64 transitional RB that is true to it's vintage setting. Shank is yellow gold-top is white. I've attached a picture of my e-ring first.

The 2 rings he's choosing from are a .5 carat OEC in an almost identical setting to my ring (I don't mind-I really don't) or a BB Tanga ring in a LOGR setting that is beautiful as well. The downside to that ring is we'll have to have it shipped internationally-adding on to the cost and potentially getting hit with 13% fee's when it arrives.

Sooo with all that info what ring would YOU rather have? She's a funky and fun loving girl-wears rings she inherited from her grandma (very small YG diamond rings-cute but nothing nearly as big as either of these-the garnet is almost 2 carats)

I should add that there is a 3rd option-a pink stone in that same setting also by the first PSer in Toronto-but it's all white gold (which is also fine) and he doesn't like it as much. Since it's a LOGR setting many gemstone loving PSers have it :)

Thoughts? Feedback?

I want to mention that my ring is by far the biggest (I wish it was smaller by a lot) and so if he goes with the diamond he'd go bigger for the e-ring. No one in the family aside from myself has a carat (or more in my case). I suppose that's nbd but thought I'd mention it :)

_12019.jpg

1421372_10153478848840315_103540360_n.jpg

1472142_10153478848845315_1422129926_n.jpg

bb_garnet_ring_1_10-2-13_preview.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I will preface this with the notion that I don't quite "get" promise rings in general. I do understand where they'd be fitting for individual couples, but it's up to each couple to make the meaning behind it their own. That being said, I really like the BB Tanga a lot! I think that'd be a great fit for a girl who you would describe as a girl who wears "fun" jewelry.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input pandabee-he's saving up more for a ring and wants to give her something until he does so. He's sweet like that :)

He's leaning more towards the vintage ring bc it's local. I think he's going to meet up with the PSer to take a look at the stash of goodies she has and pick out one from there (although this is the one he's probably still going to get).

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Not a LIW but I'd say the BB ring as well so she can wear it as a RHR once he proposes with her ering. Beautiful choices btw!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1384783644|3558407 said:
Thanks for the input pandabee-he's saving up more for a ring and wants to give her something until he does so. He's sweet like that :)

I think that's really thoughtful. I'd go for a CS ring that can be worn as an RHR once they are engaged. But, I do love the ring of the vintage 1/2 carat, so I see why its a tough choice!

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to be the odd man out and vote 1/2 carat :bigsmile:

I didn't realize how sweet and elegant a bezeled .5 could BE until I came across this pic on PS! Now I want one for myself! The fact that I've fallen in love with this look may mean that I can get engaged THAT much sooner, because it's so much more budget-friendly than my "dream setting."

This is on a 5.5 finger. What's her ring size?

halfcaratbezel.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her ring size is around a 5-5.5

Had had chosen the half carat ring (many reasons-one it was local and 2 it was a great deal).

But the PSer who was going to sell it to us is no longer replying to messages :( She had a death in the family (which I am very sorry for) and travels a lot for work and wasn't sure she could meet up before the holiday (nor could she find time to ship it). Long story short-he decided to get her diamond earrings instead (hopefully will be bought this week) since shipping internationally is a worry for him with duties/fee's/etc and they are newly living together on a fixed income.

I reached out to the seller on FB again and said if she could meet up before Valentines day so he could get the ring for her for that holiday (either as a promise ring or an e-ring I'm not sure) and she isn't replying at all. I feel terrible since he loves the ring SO much-and I see her posting on FB in other groups and on PS often but I don't want to bug her or anything like that. I think she may be having sellers remorse but I can't be sure. She has read the messages and I sent more than one just in case it wasn't getting though but I know she's read them-I'm hoping she's just to busy to reply but then she's posting and replying to other people so idk what to think.

Now I need to find him a different/still affordable/just as nice ring which even with my 'skills' is going to be a tough. I reached out an ISO thread and this was one of the replies I got-and there weren't many other ones that really fit the bill (that would also be able to be an e-ring). So idk what to do. :blackeye: :blackeye: :(( ;(

Good news is she's getting diamond earrings for christmas though lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results