shape
carat
color
clarity

Spoofing cell phone number help

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
There is a woman that DH works with that has a "thing" for him and she has both of our cell phone numbers. Once DH became very insistent that she leave him alone and really started giving her the cold shoulder, she got mad. Ever since she has come to the realization that he wants nothing to do with her...even on a friendly basis we have both been receiving calls from random numbers that don't exist. When we answer, all we get is a clicking sound. They stopped for a while, but today I have received five calls from DH, but he didn't actually call. His number was used by someone to call me. No one was on the other end, and in one call, I was brought straight to his voicemail like I had called him.

We are sure that we are getting these calls from DH's coworker. She's fairly unstable to begin with. Is there anything we can do with the phone company to confirm where these calls are originating from? Is there something legally we can do....have a lawyer send a letter to stop? Changing phone numbers isn't really an option because she would still have access to phone numbers through work.

Any help would be appreciated.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you called your phone company yet?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd call the police and as them if they can do anything or what you should do.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The first thing you need to do is not assume anything. You may be certain that she's the one, but that may not be the case. I would start by calling the phone company and see if there is a way to determine the origin of the calls - then you can take investigate the best course of action.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I had a situation yrs ago where I believed a woman was calling me and hanging up several times every evening. I called the police and they said could monitor the calls. They put an order in, and lo and behold it wasn't her at all, but a malfunction of my phone system.
The cordless phone was new and somehow malfunctioned. It went away all on its own. Funny, I would be so irritated by thinking it was this one person, but, as soon as I found out it was a malfunction it didn't bother me at all. I let the phone ring , picked it up, hung up, and was glad it wasn't this woman.

Call the police, and let it drop at work that you have done so. Maybe the person will take a hint, or perhaps it will be a malfunction of your phones.

Annette

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they work for a large company and she doesn't have reason to be in his building or access his phone number, you may be able to have the company make that sort of thing unavailable to her.

The advice already given is very good!

A letter from an attorney may be a good next step after you check with the police. Document EVERYTHING. If it is her, keep a record of all of that and get a police report. If the problem continues, you'll need all of this sort of thing to get a No Contact Order (or another of similar idea -- your attorney would tell you which one).

I take it your DH isn't able to just change employers easily?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would start with the phone company first and see what they are willing to do and tell you up front. If it is then as it seems - then go to the police.

Have a great day,

Perry

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1385068828|3560841 said:
The first thing you need to do is not assume anything. You may be certain that she's the one, but that may not be the case. I would start by calling the phone company and see if there is a way to determine the origin of the calls - then you can take investigate the best course of action.

THIS! Definitely don't get authorities involved until you know where the calls really are coming from.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One thing about we human beings is that we are excellent at detecting patterns, far better than any computer that has ever existed.

We are also excellent about detecting patterns that aren't even there.

Most spoofed phone calls come from illegal telemarketers, the kind that tell you you have won a million dollars and need to wire them $100 to claim it, or that your computer has a virus and you need to install a magic program (costs $79.95) to fix it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call your phone company before even considering contacting the authorities especially if one of the calls took you to his voice mail. That sounds like something with your phone system and it will be embarrassing if it wasn't that lady and it gets around work that you called the police on her.

What kinds of phones do you have? Just to put in perspective, DH and I both have iphones and our younger son has an ipod. Well, if my son is home and because we have wireless wi-fi, my son can send text messages to us when he's home and one or both of us are not. It turns out that *randomly* sometimes our texts (either to the ipod or the iphone) go to both other people even if they're only meant for one person (and addressed to one, not send as an MMS). It's a weird quirk that we haven't figured the fix for yet!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
DH confronted the woman who we suspected making the calls and she admitted that it was indeed her after denying several times. This is a grown, professional woman, with apparently too much time on her hands, who is extremely immature and psycho.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
orbaya|1386692612|3571329 said:
DH confronted the woman who we suspected making the calls and she admitted that it was indeed her after denying several times. This is a grown, professional woman, with apparently too much time on her hands, who is extremely immature and psycho.

Oh no! Some people say that people always act like they're in high school...sounds like you got one here.

What do you guys plan to do about her? Did he contact HR?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Man, I'd be tempted to file a police report. It's a bit too Fatal Attraction- for me.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1386697731|3571376 said:
Man, I'd be tempted to file a police report. It's a bit too Fatal Attraction- for me.
Ditto

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Just keep this in mind when dealing with people (ALL people): 1 in 5 people are either mentally ill or actively using illegal drugs.

I heard this statistic a while back and it shocked me.

Here's the story http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20101118/mental-illness-affects-in-in-5-americans

You need to protect yourself. Talk to HR and the police, just to get it on the record. Make sure your DH does it, so she doesn't consider You as the troublemaker. These people don't have boundaries like the rest of us, who knows what this nutbag will do?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope that he recorded the confrontation or had a witness, or some form of proof besides just her verbal admission because he might need it to file a police report and get a restraining order.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results