shape
carat
color
clarity

Goodbye 2013! Hello 2014!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I know New Year's is still kind of far off, but I was thinking about what a year it's been and how happy I'll be to say adios. How has this year been for you, and what are you looking forward to in the year to come?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2013 has been QUITE a year... I came back from KC, started a new job, passed the CPA exams, and am now under contract on a space I am really looking forward to converting from a photo studio into my residence starting early next year. Lots of change and upheaval in 2013 -- I'm ready to ring in 2014 and see what THAT brings!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2013 was going great for me until I had a miscarriage. So now I am hoping 2014 will be the year and that I will be hugely pregnant or holding a healthy baby by the end of it.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I ended 2012 and spent most of 2013 living in SLC, Utah. Living there was very life-changing for me. I can't quite put into words how or why but it was. I moved back to the Bay Area in September and started a new position in my company in October. I rode from SF to LA on my bike (my big vacation for the year) and now DH and I are trying for a baby.

I'm hoping that 2014 will bring an additional member into our family! We're so ready to be a family of 3. Outside of that two of DH's friends are getting married on the East Coast and we have a ton of weekend trips already planned in the first quarter in order to take advantage of my companion pass on SW. Should be a great year to discover parts of the US we haven't yet visited!

Zoe- I hope your 2014 is better than your 2013. Sorry to hear that this year has been tough for you.
Dee-Jay- It was a pleasure meeting you in Vegas this year. Sounds like you've had a year that has kept you on your toes! Hope to see you again next Spring!
Laila- So sorry to read about your miscarriage. Best of luck to you and DH while you TTC #3.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm SOOOOO ready for 2013 to be over and I can't wait for 2014!!!!! :appl: :appl:

DD's surgery is behind us and she wraps up Physical Therapy in December. (a few minor complications with numbness and tingling in her left leg and foot I hope will pass with the new year).

We sold our home which was a long drawn out painful process and we are starting construction on a new home and hope to be in during July '14.

Praying and hoping for a smooth year free of doctor's visits and hospital stays!!!!

Happy Happy Happy New Year!!!!! So Long 2013...

Lalia.. I'm so sorry for your loss.... :errrr:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hear ya on the whole changing and upheaval thing, Dee*Jay! I lost my job but then got a new one a week before the new school year began. We moved closer to the coast for my new job. That was something we had been thinking about doing for years, so the timing worked out well. Our income property is practically brand new after a big renovation. We're currently in a very sticky situation with our tenant, but the end is in sight. I can't wait for things to calm down and we can enjoy things a bit more. Here's hoping to a better year ahead!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very busy and exciting year at work, wiping the slate clean on my finances and starting afresh after learning how to spend within my means the hard way, start to save for my next car, some nice weather for camping trips, planning how to celebrate my 50th the following year. :))

Not looking forward to saying goodbye to 2 colleagues who will be leaving for greener pastures in Feb though. :((

DK :))

SB621

Ideal_Rock
2013 was allright. I made huge strides with my career and family. I will say there really weren't any peaks or valleys for the most part. We were very status quo.

However I"m so excited for 2014 as we are moving to Europe in a few weeks. I can't wait to spend the next 3-4 years there. I just have dreams of pileing into the SUV and driving to whatever European country we feel like visiting that day. Eating gelato in italy with my daughter, riding the London eye with my son....ekkk too excitied for words. :bigsmile:

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Laila619|1386195120|3567656 said:
2013 was going great for me until I had a miscarriage. So now I am hoping 2014 will be the year and that I will be hugely pregnant or holding a healthy baby by the end of it.

So sorry for your loss. Hope you have a better 2014 :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to 2014 - first year of not reporting to work five days a week. (OK, so it was only four days many weeks last year. Felt like five. :wink2: ) 2013 was a terrible year where family health issues were concerned. Or should I say it was a terrific year? My mother is still with us, defying the odds for her cancer. My brother is still with us despite the past two months in the hospital, including three occasions on which we could have lost him. I'm hoping 2014 will bring good progress and an eventual return to normal on both fronts.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay, you moved back from KC only a year ago? It seems like it was years ago! Have you written more about your new housing project in the F&H thread? I'd love to hear more about it!

Laila, I'm so sorry. I hope 2014 is a much better year for you and your family.

Clairitek, wow, you've had some adventures! How long was your bike trip? Thanks! I hope the new year brings happiness for everyone.

Mayk, I'm glad your daughter is doing well. Good luck with the new house!

SB, your move sounds exciting!

VR, congratulations on your retirement!

Dk168, we'll be saving for a new car also. What are you looking at getting?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe - I actually moved TO KC in June 2012 and BACK in March 2013. But yes, it seems like that whole process spanned several years... maybe even decades...

My new project hasn't been officially announced because we are still in attorney review and until we get done with that anything can happen. I have been a real estate agent far too long to count my unhatched chickens (but I really really really hope this works out!!!).

And I remember some of the things you were going through with the rental property in our other thread, but it seems like the ultimate project ended up being larger than you were originally planning. Sorry to hear that -- I hate it when stuff like that "grows."

Hope all is well with you and hubbs in your new location! How are you liking the class you've got this year?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will be glad when 2013 is over!

2013 started with me finding out that my back had been injured in a car accident 10 years ago. Lots of fun times as I couldn't even get to a bathroom without help. That would be Feb-April.
July started the nightmare with DH and his pinched nerve. Still suffering there. Out of work for 3 1/2 months with no pay (despite having disability insurance!) but lots of expensive trips to all sorts of doctors. Seeing a neurologist & chiropractor & NP today.
My grandmother's health is declining.
Another uncle died in October.

But.... we did get married! That was amazing. Thanks to my mother's attitude and DH's pinched nerve, it wasn't anything at all like I'd hoped. Still great! The only thing I'd do differently would be to plan it that way intentionally and put some of the money saved to a longer stay at the winery for us.

We're hoping for a boring 2014! Would love for life to get back to boring day to day stuff.

A few things coming in 2014:

"A" goes to Disneyland in February then Vancouver in May
I graduate with two AS degrees in June.
(hopefully) starting at the university fall quarter to work on both Bachelor's degrees
The airplane should be (at least) uncrated and looking more like an airplane.
1-year anniversary!

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Laila - so sorry for your loss. I too hope you are holding a healthy baby this time next year.

2013 was also a lot of change for me as well. It started off having just had DH apply for a position in the UK and being accepted!
And although I thought it was not possible to travel anymore in 2013 than in 2012, I did a 4 day trip with a girlfriend to Paris from SF for my 30th birthday. It was so lovely as we ate, drank, and socialized.

Then I had to got to Peru for a week for work which was a great trip and we spent a week with a group of friends in Colombia for 2 good friend's wedding. And just a couple of months ago I got to literally fly around the world from London to LA for a friend's wedding and then to Melbourne (where my sister and best friend just moved) & Sydney & back to London.

In May, we moved from CA to London and have been enjoying it ever since. I am the type of person who has a few good friends and for life, so moving so far away from them has sometimes been hard, but then again life was the same great thing after the same great thing so it was nice to change it up. That and it had been my life dream to live abroad especially in Europe. This is hard to do with only an American passport for both me and DH, so I am very very lucky. And living in London has been truly great as I get to meet people from everywhere, make great friends, and travel a ton of course! We are going to end the year off with 5 other people flying form the east & west coast of the US, Australia, Jordan, and us from London to Istanbul for a 5 day trip. I am truly thankful for these opportunities and I could not be more excited!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2013 was pretty awesome. We went on a cruise in February. Got engaged in August and married in November.

In 2014 we're looking forward to an Alaska honeymoon in June.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PS - best wishes and fertility dust to those who want it!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
SB, take me with you!!! Your adventure sounds amazing.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
2013 was a huge blessing... In a year that should have been horrible since going through a divorce.. But have been blessed that I have a great SO... He is truly the best guy ever... So looking forward to 2014...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am so sorry to hear that. I am hoping 2014 will be a great year for you.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overall the year has been good but I am ready to move on to 2014. DH has been traveling a lot and to all sorts of countries but I doubt that will change next year. 2013 has been one of the snowiest years in recent memory (including last spring) and sadly I moved further from work. Can i say I hate driving home in blizzards and on ice? We lost my mom to leukemia in August. My car got hit in a parking lot then the guy took off, it got sideswiped at the hospital and I bent a wheel hitting something hidden by a snowdrift so I decided it was snake bit (or I was) and traded it off. I am just ready to see what the new year brings.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
2013 was a good year for me so far! I graduated, got a job, and moved a few hours away to the country/moved in with the boy. 2014 we plan on getting hitched so that'll be exciting to look forward to obviously...excited to see what else it brings!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Europe is gorgeous and I've been to many countries.. but few SUVs... maybe some in Spain??? everything is small in England but oh so beautiful.. we had been offered 2x a two year assignment in Haifa but my kids were little and it was too scary for me.. wish I had done it now.. your children will be all the better for their years spent in Europe.

happy holiday.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
2013 has been my most challenging year so I am RELIEVED it *almost* over.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1386439569|3569555 said:
2013 has been my most challenging year so I am RELIEVED it *almost* over.

Thinking of you! Having an end in sight is a good thing.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Well, 2013 was one of the worst years I've poorly managed:

DD was always too busy to visit (she lives one hour away) even when she was unemployed. That meant that I didn't see DGD either. In fact, the only times we got together were DG's' birthday in November with in-laws (cash grab) and we're now invited to their Christmas Eve (with in-laws (more cash grabbed) Since our daughter and family are leaving for Florida on the 24th for a holiday with her ex-husband and family down there, we'll be on our own!!!!! YAY! Yippee!!.

Our son and his family may he here here for Christmas Eve and that would be lovely. On Christmas Day DH and I are going out for lunch at a lovely restaurant in the area - DS and DDIL are planning a gathering at their mansion for her side of the family. They're so dysfunctional that I haven't any idea who will show up.

During this past year, my breast cancer has marched on rendering me almost (but not quite) useless. I have been reminded of my uselessness almost daily by my 'husband' who makes every sarcastic comment that he can think of. Nice guy.

I got a little bit of counselling in April, but H decided he needed no help and went on his merry way.

ONE positive was our son's daughter excelling in secondary school and being accepted at the university of her choice. She loves it and is doing well.

I welcome 2014 with open arms and hope that good times are ahead. :bigsmile:

My job is finished here. I'm satisfied that I've done my best and will be happy to wave goodbye :wavey:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Well, 2013 was one of the worst years I've poorly managed:

DD was always too busy to visit (she lives one hour away) even when she was unemployed. That meant that I didn't see DGD either. In fact, the only times we got together were DG's' birthday in November with in-laws (cash grab) and we're now invited to their Christmas Eve (with in-laws (more cash grabbed) Since our daughter and family are leaving for Florida on the 24th for a holiday with her ex-husband and family down there, we'll be on our own!!!!! YAY! Yippee!!.

Our son and his family may he here here for Christmas Eve and that would be lovely. On Christmas Day DH and I are going out for lunch at a lovely restaurant in the area - DS and DDIL are planning a gathering at their mansion for her side of the family. They're so dysfunctional that I haven't any idea who will show up.

During this past year, my breast cancer has marched on rendering me almost (but not quite) useless. I have been reminded of my uselessness almost daily by my 'husband' who makes every sarcastic comment that he can think of. Nice guy.

I got a little bit of counselling in April, but H decided he needed no help and went on his merry way.

ONE positive was our son's daughter excelling in secondary school and being accepted at the university of her choice. She loves it and is doing well.

I welcome 2014 with open arms and hope that good times are ahead. :bigsmile:

My job is finished here. I'm satisfied that I've done my best and will be happy to wave goodbye :wavey:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. :wavey:

Here's hoping 2014 will be great for all of us.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
marcy|1386393462|3569343 said:

I am so sorry to hear that. I am hoping 2014 will be a great year for you.
Yes, and am sorry... Hoping 2014 brings you a bundle of joy.... :halo:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isaku: I'm very sorry to read that your DD and DH are treating you so poorly. I hope 2014 is better all around for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results