Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Never

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you call back 'missed' calls?

My cellphone tells me when someone called, I didn't answer, and they did not leave a voice or text message.
It also shows me their phone number.

I don't know whether I should call them back or not.
After all, they chose to not leave a message.

Hmm, what do you do?
What do you think others expect?
Is there some social protocol about what technology now makes possible?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, unless it is from Kenny... :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I am with you Kenny, if they didn't leave a message, it wasn't that important.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Agree. If no message, there wasn't really a reason for calling. Although, I am reliably informed by the younger generation that it's uncool to leave messages and that the modus operandi of today is to ring and you're supposed to call back because it's obvious that they wanted you.

But that's not my way! I am not the younger generation and I think it's rude to be effectively "summoned" by a missed call. They can leave a polite message. After all, perhaps the call is about something I'd rather not discuss! I shall continue to treat missed calls with no messages as unimportant.

ETA: I voted "rarely".

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends who it was. Husband, family, work, sometimes. Friends, depends on the friend and circumstances, most usually don't call and if they do it was an accident/buttdial. Randos I will google. Usually I won't be calling them back.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way, unless it was my kids or husband and then I might text and ask if they need anything. But I never call back unknown calls since I figure they will call back if they really need to talk to me.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted as "rarely". If it's my family or someone from work I will call them back. Other than that - no way. If it's that important they will call me back.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Nahh, unless its a close friend who usually just calls to chat.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Rarely, only from my husband, family or close friends.

And I don't even answer calls from blocked numbers or numbers that aren't in my address book.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only call back if I could recognise the number and the caller is someone I had dealings with in the past.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, only if my dh called but it would be rare for him not to be able to reach me. First he would try my work # (or home # if I am home) and my mobile last. Everyone who knows me knows I dislike talking on my mobile if I have a landline available so the mobile is always the call of last resort. Usually if friends/family cannot reach me via phone they would leave a text message (now that I text) to call them back. Rarely does anyone call me (who intended to call me i.e. not a misdial) without leaving a message and if they don't leave a message I don't return the call.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
If they don't leave a message then no. My husband on the other hand will callback a missed call, I think that is just crazy. I figure if it is someone I don't know and a weird number why bother calling it back?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Not if I don't recognize the number & want to talk to the person. Probably a telemarketer anyway.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is a friend or family member yes.

If it is someone else, no. I don't call back people that I don't know, even IF they have left a message. I don't even check messages unless someone important (to me) has left one. Truthfully, that might take weeks.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I return calls to unknown numbers when I have cats/kittens that I am fostering and are advertised for adoption. My voicemail plays up from time to time and I wouldn't want to miss a potential new home for any of my babies.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. I return missed calls from known numbers. A missed call means somebody wants to talk. A voicemail from a known number saying "Call me back" is unnecessary and a little irritating because of the it takes to retrieve a VM. I prefer not to have to check VM at all and have considered changing my VM message to saying, "sorry I missed your call. Please only leave a message if absolutely necessary. I will try to call you back."

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
nobody calls me.

April20

Ideal_Rock
If its someone I know, yes, because everyone that knows me well knows I hate VM and will call back when I see the missed call. If its someone that I don't know well or don't know at all I do not return their call based on a missed call. This is one instance where I do want a VM.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm basically off the grid in most respects. No one has my cell phone number but close family. No one ever phones me. I get texts, and I always answer those. I actually hate having my cell phone ring with a phone call, and won't answer it at all unless it's my family. Same with the landline and answering the door. Basically, you have to be related to me, or have an agreed upon appointment. Weird, but I don't care. My kids are grown. I like peace and quiet more than anything. :devil:

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I answered "rarely". If it's someone I know I'll likely call back but if I don't recognize the number... well, if it's something important they'll call back! :mrgreen:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
daintyG|1386433399|3569501 said:
Yes. I return missed calls from known numbers. A missed call means somebody wants to talk. A voicemail from a known number saying "Call me back" is unnecessary and a little irritating because of the it takes to retrieve a VM. I prefer not to have to check VM at all and have considered changing my VM message to saying, "sorry I missed your call. Please only leave a message if absolutely necessary. I will try to call you back."
This is how I feel.

My dad always leaves a comical message. I don't mind those. :bigsmile:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

I hate the phone and try avoid it at all costs.

I answered "rarely" though. Mostly if it's DH...

And vague VMs or texts like "call me" also get ignored. :D If it's from someone I can't ignore I always try to find out via text the reason for the call.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never texted and (at least I say this now) never will.
All my contacts know this and they've given up trying to get me to text.
The only texts I have ever gotten has been advertising.
Fumbling with a number pad where each number can be any of 3 letters sounds about as attractive as having my skin peeled off, salt rubbed all over my body and being left in a sunny desert all summer.

I realize I'm a dying breed.

I'm concerned that more and more people will boycott using their mouth and ears with their phones (I had no idea this is so much bother) just as I boycott texting.
My ability to communicate with some people may vanish as a result, and perhaps already has.

Weird.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1386453358|3569671 said:
... sounds about as attractive as having my skin peeled off, salt rubbed all over my body and being left in a sunny desert all summer.

That is just about how I feel about talking on the phone.

But I felt this way long before there was texting.

I think as long as I an remember.

For me, texting is the best thing that ever happened. :)

ETA: with friends I care about remaining in touch (can count them on one hand) who feel like you do about email or texting we "switch off" - sometimes they'll text or email to accommodate my preferences, sometimes we'll talk on the phone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also HATE talking on the phone.
I hate small talk and chit chat.
I get to the point and hang up.
Screw 'phone manners'.

I've been told the way I use a phone is like the way everyone uses texting, which is exactly why they prefer texting.
Short, sweet and to the point.
No rambling or despised phone manners to put up with.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right...see, with someone like you I probably wouldn't mind using the phone.

But I also hate to use the phone to stay in touch - because it usually means long conversations...and I am rarely rarely in the mood for those. Especially the ones where there's no known ending time (someone has to go into a call or meeting etc.) But I also understand that for some people keeping in touch via email doesn't feel like enough...so I compromise...but it's not an every week or even every month thing...it's a double edged sword...I realize that if I picked up the phone more often, we probably wouldn't "need" those long conversations...but I still can't bring myself to pick up the phone more than every once in a while. :sick:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certianly your flexibility is better than my stubbornness.
But I'm stubbornly stubborn. :))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hhahahahaah it's probably guilt based if it makes you feel any better :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1386440836|3569567 said:
I'm basically off the grid in most respects. No one has my cell phone number but close family. No one ever phones me. I get texts, and I always answer those. I actually hate having my cell phone ring with a phone call, and won't answer it at all unless it's my family. Same with the landline and answering the door. Basically, you have to be related to me, or have an agreed upon appointment. Weird, but I don't care. My kids are grown. I like peace and quiet more than anything. :devil:

You're my hero Lyra. This is how I hope I can be one day. It's such a chore sometimes being connected all the time and while I certainly am not reachable 24/7 I sometimes wish no one could contact me (with the exception of my dh).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I call back when I feel like it.

Most people who have my number leave a message, text, or message me on a social media site if they didn't reach me by calling.

Pretty much no one calls me unless we have set up a phone appointment these days. I kind of love it. I don't mind talking on the phone with my aunt I never see for 2 hours. Or an old friend/college roommate. But if my mom calls (she lives pretty close) I keep the conversation to 10 minutes or less. Otherwise shit drags on and on and on....;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results