shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas gift idea for boss... help needed!

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
So I am a part of a team at work that consists of 4 men and me (female, lol).
Last year, I was given the task of doing the shopping/searching for a gift for our boss, who is also female.
I know enough about her that she likes JCrew, so we each chipped in $10, and got her a $50 gift card from there, which she loved.

Fast forward to this year... A couple of the guys decided $10 is too much, so most of them decided to give $5 each...
I am not the most extravagant with my money, but come on!! So I am facing the dilemma of shopping for something cheaper than last year, which, I think is a slap in the face.

So that puts me in the situation of either getting her something worth $30-$35 (each give $5, to be equal), or I make up the difference so we can get her something of equal value as last year, which is unfair, because they expect the recognition as if they contributed equally.

OK, so I had to vent a little bit about the cheapos... lol... :angryfire:

Anyway, what do you think I could get (other than a gift card) for about $30-$35? Any ideas?
Our boss likes nice things, has great taste. She usually shops at JCrew and some other higher end stores.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your best bet is to buy her something on sale so it doesn't look like a cheaper gift than last year. I wouldn't give her a gift card for less so either gift on sale or just get her something on your own without going in with your cheap colleagues. It's rude if they expect you to make up the difference imo and tacky for them to contribute so little. It doesn't seem like they even want to buy your boss anything with that attitude. I would just separate from them and give her a gift just from you. Not fair you're expected to do all the work and with so little contribution. So I would tell them either pony up or do it themselves.

JCrew has everything on sale now at deep discounts. You cannot go wrong with a nice silk scarf from them.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
missy|1386278393|3568323 said:
JCrew has everything on sale now at deep discounts. You cannot go wrong with a nice silk scarf from them.

I agree with everything missy said and a silk scarf is probably what I would get as a gift.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Missy and SB. It's lousy and cheap to give you $5 and expect you to do all the work. Give it back to them and get a nice present from just you. I love the little seasonal knick knacks at TJ Maxx etc. When I'm 'stuck' I give a Christmas ornament (if appropriate) and it's something for her to remember you by.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
What about a bottle of wine?

Or a charity gift card like one from JustGive.org where the recipient can specify the charity she wants to donate to? You can chip in a few extra dollars to make it the same value as last year. If you're the one purchasing, you can get a tax writeoff too.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, I'm feeling particularly witchy right now due to an interaction on another forum but I'd be tempted to tell them that if they want me to do the shopping it is $10 per person. if they want to lower it to $5 then one of them can do the shopping and I'd hand them a $5 bill and go on about my business.

they're asking you to take the time and trouble to do it AND are making it more difficult.
not only are they cheap but they are inconsiderate.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1386281262|3568353 said:
ok, I'm feeling particularly witchy right now due to an interaction on another forum but I'd be tempted to tell them that if they want me to do the shopping it is $10 per person. if they want to lower it to $5 then one of them can do the shopping and I'd hand them a $5 bill and go on about my business.

they're asking you to take the time and trouble to do it AND are making it more difficult.
not only are they cheap but they are inconsiderate.

:appl: YAY Movie Zombie!! TOTALLY agree w you here!! I think a token gift for your boss is a nice idea, if that's the company culture, but $5??? come on --- that's just nasty! And indeed - if they want to be cheap about it, I love the idea of you giving your $5 and letting one of THEM pick out something!! Take *that* guys! :tongue:

oh MZ - you come up w the best solutions!! :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking as a former boss - get a nice bottle of wine and be done with it. If you're unsure picking wine, just go to a store that has a good reputation for selection and ask their wine expert for advice - they get those requests all the time, not biggie. And feel free to pay for the card and wrap from the collected pool too - $20 should be enough for a decent bottle. Champaign is fine too - it'll give her a head start on New Year's eve.

I found gifts from staff to be somewhat uncomfortable, actually - especially the ones that were more personal. A gift from me to staff to thank them for a good year, certainly. But the other way around, not so much - I'd hate to feel that any staff felt obligated to give me a gift because of my position.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1386285803|3568408 said:
Speaking as a former boss - get a nice bottle of wine and be done with it. If you're unsure picking wine, just go to a store that has a good reputation for selection and ask their wine expert for advice - they get those requests all the time, not biggie. And feel free to pay for the card and wrap from the collected pool too - $20 should be enough for a decent bottle. Champaign is fine too - it'll give her a head start on New Year's eve.

I found gifts from staff to be somewhat uncomfortable, actually - especially the ones that were more personal. A gift from me to staff to thank them for a good year, certainly. But the other way around, not so much - I'd hate to feel that any staff felt obligated to give me a gift because of my position.[/quote]

HI:

It is funny you should write this, b/c I am surprised that gifts are still given to "bosses".....while the sentiment is nice, it is fraught with difficulty....

ETA: Before I posted, I should have read the Miss P link!

cheers--Sharon

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - also, if it is not too late, and you all decide a present to the boss is a must, I'd tell the other team members that I bought the gift last year and it is someone else's turn this year. Even if you think you could pick out a more appropriate gift or a better deal or enjoy the shopping process, if it is a group gift given yearly, as a professional I would want that responsibility shifted around yearly to each team member. Just my two cents.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is their passive way of saying they don't want to do this. Just get a card signed from the team. If you want to give her something, do it without the others.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1386299990|3568563 said:
I think this is their passive way of saying they don't want to do this. Just get a card signed from the team. If you want to give her something, do it without the others.

ok, I'm still feeling witchy: I wouldn't even buy a "team" card.......but I would give her one from me personally.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1386285803|3568408 said:

I found gifts from staff to be somewhat uncomfortable, actually - especially the ones that were more personal. A gift from me to staff to thank them for a good year, certainly. But the other way around, not so much - I'd hate to feel that any staff felt obligated to give me a gift because of my position.

I've never been a boss (well, one of grown ups at least) before, but VR, I'd feel uncomfortable giving my boss a gift. If I was a boss, I'd feel really uncomfortable if my staff gave me a gift. I think of gifts as being personal and I'd rather save gift-giving for family members. If I was going to get my boss or someone I didn't know well a gift, I'd choose a bottle of wine, a nice ornament, or a nice box of chocolates.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for your advice and input!!!!!
I decided to go about it in the following order (per what you guys suggested):

1. I will talk to the guys, explaining in a nice, non- judgemental way, that it wouldn't be fair to get a lower valued gift for our boss.
Besides, we should all be thankful we have jobs, and have a great boss!!!

2. If they still don't budge, they will get their $$ back, and will go on our own.

What do you think? :geek:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, I don't think the "fair" argument is valid.
I also think you're putting way more effort into this than warrants.
be assertive and tell them you're returning their $ because you don't have the time and energy to find a gift within the parameters they've set and since they are comfortable with that parameter one of them needs to do the shopping.
eta: this can be said nicely. "guys, I've been thinking about this and I'm returning your $. i'm just too busy this holiday season to spend the necessary time to find a gift for the boss. last year it was a bit easier because I had more to work with and, in all honesty, I think it is unfair that i'm expected to do this two years in a row. i'll let you decide which one of you want to do it and if the decision is not to do it I understand.....you can return my $5 in that case. thanks for your understanding." and then just leave. if the topic comes up again, either leave or just state the same thing over again. and again if necessary.

seriously, putting you in charge of this two years in a row smacks of old fashioned macho behavior, especially since they tell you that they won't contribute more than $5 and expect you to do it. sort of speaks to how you are really valued within the team. yes, everything is politics.....especially in the office.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto EVERYTHING MZ said, especially that the only thing unfair in this is that you're expected to do it two years in a row. Unless your corporate culture calls for expensive gifts for the boss, please don't focus on getting a "nice," personal gift.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nyc2chigal|1386344453|3568782 said:
1. I will talk to the guys, explaining in a nice, non- judgemental way, that it wouldn't be fair to get a lower valued gift for our boss.
Besides, we should all be thankful we have jobs, and have a great boss!!!

2. If they still don't budge, they will get their $$ back, and will go on our own.

1) why is it not fair? Maybe she should be thankful to have you as employees?
2) don't make $5 something to budge about. not worth it. Take MZs advice, it is very good.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd give them their money back and let them figure it out on their own, you're not their administrative assistant (though if you are, well, this might be your job).

As for you, if she uses a smartphone/tablet, get her a few packs of these (also available at JCrew, so if you order online you can use a code I think and they're cheaper!)
https://staywellkept.com/

If she travels a lot or likes to be neat and orderly you can also get her one of these:
http://onetruffle.com/

Maybe get the pouch and put a couple packs of the wipes in it, sign it from YOU.

Another idea is cute notebooks and pens from Poppin.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks you all for the helpful advice!

She is thankful for us, but to be very honest, she puts up with a lot of non-sense from some of her subordinates. She always sides with us when it comes to upper management, and she is very relaxed.

I will keep everything in mind when it comes to what I'll get her :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results