shape
carat
color
clarity

New 1.03 ct Unheated Ceylon Sapphire - opinions please

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this on hold with a deposit from Simply Sapphires. I really love it from the pictures and I thought it was a really good price at about $550 because of it's inclusions. It is a transparent, 6.36 x4.93 x 3.82 and is a cushion cut and "mixed brilliant crown". It also says no indications of heat on the AGTA report. I am hoping to put this in a ring. I was hoping for a larger stone but they are all in the 1000 dollar range at least which is out of my budget. John was very helpful and friendly over the phone . I will update with pics in real life when I have it.
PS I like it because it has a strong saturated colour, is medium blue (I think!) and no window. It also has some violet which I like. :)

blueo103-5.jpg

blueo103-2.jpg

blueo103-8.jpg

blueo103-4-2.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks to be quite pretty - I too like the color. Something to be aware of though - when buying colored stones including sapphire, you want the vendor to tell you more than its transparent; you want to know whether it is eye clean or whether there are boogers (technical term there :tongue: ), chips or other inclusions that stand out or that take away from your enjoyment of the stone. That is not to say that all stones must be eye clean or that some inclusions can't be beautiful in their own right, its just that the vendor should be forthright with that information so that you can make an informed decision.

All that said, if the stone is eye clean, unheated, and as represented color-wise, then that price is good for a 1+ ct stone. :))

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Those inclusions may affect the performance of the stone and I seriously doubt it's eye clean. But the price reflects both of those issues, so all in all not bad.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like it. The color is nice, the cut is nice, the size is nice, the treatment level is nice. Also nice that it comes with an AGTA report; they're not making any more of those! In the photo with the reflection on the table one can see a few blemishes, but colored gemstones don't have to live up to a military 60-40 scratch and dig surface quality. Do check what appears to be a feather, around 7:30 in the photos. If that is not surface breaking I think it will be a great buy!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it will be darker than in the picture but it can still be a great find.
glad you're going to research it further and have it on hold.
this time of the year things get snatched from under people pretty quickly.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I love this color sapphire. I personally think it's priced well (as long as it looks like these pics once you have it in hand). I can see the inclusions, but for the price this is something I think I would be happy with. I have a few smaller blue sapphires that are somewhat similar in color to this one, and they have some inclusions, but they seem to "hide" a bit in the blue - I find that they don't bug me too much :). I am happy that you found something you liked that was affordable, and has a lovely color. Definitely smart to reserve it before posting ;-)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1386298398|3568539 said:
I like it. The color is nice, the cut is nice, the size is nice, the treatment level is nice. Also nice that it comes with an AGTA report; they're not making any more of those! In the photo with the reflection on the table one can see a few blemishes, but colored gemstones don't have to live up to a military 60-40 scratch and dig surface quality. Do check what appears to be a feather, around 7:30 in the photos. If that is not surface breaking I think it will be a great buy!

I'm loving this, but have no idea of what it means - care to break it down for a military illiterate? :praise:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!! I love the color, and think that its a good price too. I've purchased from John too, and I really like his inventory. He does accept returns too in case you don't like it. I've had my eyes on a couple little things there.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing you don't mind being able to see the inclusions (I'm guessing the sapphire isn't going to be eye clean) but the price, colour, cut and lack of treatment are all strong positives in its favour. Looking forward to your review of the sapphire.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input everyone, it means a lot to me! Chrono and Katharath, you are right - I don't mind the inclusions at all because of the colour. Hopefully the size is ok when I have it in hand.

VapidLapid, I will definitely search for the inclusion at 7:30 and make sure it is not surface reaching, but I have to tell you that I struggled with which way was running counter-clockwise at the gym today! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results