carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1384999225|3560230 said:
Minous - you're definitely right about that aspect. But it's so hard to find material in this color and in a price range that works for me; it's something I can overlook on these. I had thought about having my cushion retouched a bit by a precision cutter, as I think if it just had a few extra facets it might help with the extinction...but I really don't know that for sure, and it's small enough as it is, lol.

:appl: :appl:

Like I say, there are some things that I wish did not bother me!

Kath: shortly before you joined, there were a few threads on this extinction issue. If you did a search for "shadowing", "Half and half", and extinction you might find them. The reason I suggest it is because in one of the threads, there is a discussion of how pavilions can be cut to minimize the effect - it has to do with parity among facets, if that makes sense.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1385028224|3560408 said:
katharath|1384999225|3560230 said:
Minous - you're definitely right about that aspect. But it's so hard to find material in this color and in a price range that works for me; it's something I can overlook on these. I had thought about having my cushion retouched a bit by a precision cutter, as I think if it just had a few extra facets it might help with the extinction...but I really don't know that for sure, and it's small enough as it is, lol.

:appl: :appl:

Like I say, there are some things that I wish did not bother me!

Kath: shortly before you joined, there were a few threads on this extinction issue. If you did a search for "shadowing", "Half and half", and extinction you might find them. The reason I suggest it is because in one of the threads, there is a discussion of how pavilions can be cut to minimize the effect - it has to do with parity among facets, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check it out!! It's really on my mind- I got my cushion today and the color is amazing. But I think with just a little reworking it would be an all around perfect gem. I'm thinking of sending it to Jerry for a little tweaking.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
If you do end up doing that, would you mind posting before and after shots? Jerry did a major recut for me a little while ago on a mozambique tourmaline, and it went very well. I would love to see what he would do with this material. I saw that cushion on Yvonne's etsy site for a couple hours, it does look very nice. I betcha it radiates under UV light!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Xrisus|1385083120|3561028 said:
If you do end up doing that, would you mind posting before and after shots? Jerry did a major recut for me a little while ago on a mozambique tourmaline, and it went very well. I would love to see what he would do with this material. I saw that cushion on Yvonne's etsy site for a couple hours, it does look very nice. I betcha it radiates under UV light!

If I go this route, I will absolutely post before and after pics :)

I'm really not sure though. This may sound odd, but I find the slightly wonky, chunky little cushion shape to be really beautiful, lol! Since I'm a big fan of precision cuts, it really surprised me to feel that way! However, I just received that cushion today, so I need to live with it a bit before I make any big decisions. I'm completely undecided at this point.

(And my apologies if I've taken this thread too far off topic...)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've definitely gone a little off-topic but it is still relevant. :wavey: Okay, I'll make any excuses I can get away with because I want to share my opinion about recuts. :lol: I, too, would appreciate before and after pictures of a Mahenge spinel tweaking. I saw tweaking because perhaps that is all that is needed. They look decently cut as they are and I wonder how much they can be improved whilst maintaining as much of the face up dimensions as possible.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Anybody looking for a project?

http://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2693B/lots/76

Unmounted Sapphire, the cushion-cut sapphire measuring approx. 17.35 x 14.50 x 7.70 mm, and weighing 18.61 cts.
Estimate $4,000-6,000

18 carats :shock: of sapphire that desperately wants to be recut. I would get a guarantee from Skinner (their people are often on Antiques Roadshow) that it is a sapphire and not a synthetic. It does seem very clear, which worries me. And you can't really tell what the treatments are. But it is a big honker.

80020221.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, that sapphire is not a good candidate for a recut unless the new owner is willing to accept a significantly smaller stone, which will affect the colour and pricing. Going by the measurements, this is a pancake sapphire. Going by the outer edge colouration, the sapphire is very dark. The only reason it looks vaguely blue in the centre is due to the background fabric.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Agree, Chrono. There's so much width & so little depth, it's hard to see where it could be cut to produce anything but small stones of not-too-thrilling color/saturation. A lot of money for a poor stone, plus cost of re-cut when a better one could be bought for similar cost.

airdancer

Rough_Rock
Unheated. Huge. Looks sparkly except it is lavender under some lights - not a colour I love.

Color Change Sapphire Cushion Mixed Cut
Weight: 4.03cts
Measurements: 8.9x7.4mm, depth 6.5mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 4835.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_1151
Description: Big and beautiful color change sapphire.Color is violet blue in daylight, bright lavender in incandescent. Sparkly and flashy to the max, eye clean and well cut. Certified unheated, AGL lab report included. No Pantone match
sapphire_blue_1151_a.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
velouriaL|1386269272|3568206 said:
So, this is quite a bit overpriced, in my opinion, but I guess there is a frenzy for gray spinels going on right now. I blame Freak! :) LOL Nevertheless, I'd love a gray spinel supernova!

http://www.diamondbistro.com/category/234/Spinel/listings/36759/2-Carat-Precision-Cut-Supernova-Ceylon-Gray-Spinel.html
Sorry y'all. I've been eyeing it too, but I have no :$$): :$$): :$$): :$$): .

(I don't think it's overpriced though, grays are going up in price, and it's over 2cts. :naughty: )

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno...seems overpriced to me. I can easily buy a giant clean gray spinel off eBay, send it off to be precision cut and still get it for under $600. Might be a reasonable price for a "new" stone but not a secondhand piece where all sales are final. Perhaps the seller is open to offers?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1386339652|3568753 said:
I dunno...seems overpriced to me. I can easily buy a giant clean gray spinel off eBay, send it off to be precision cut and still get it for under $600. Might be a reasonable price for a "new" stone but not a secondhand piece where all sales are final. Perhaps the seller is open to offers?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/170982386/2-carat-precision-cut-supernova-oval?ref=shop_home_active

-We offer a 5-day inspection period. If you are not satisfied for any reason, you can return the gem in its original undamaged condition for a full refund (buyer pays return shipping).

Just because it's on LoupeTroop or DiamondBistro does not automatically mean that the person does not offer returns or that it is secondhand. :wink2:

John B of GemRite has also been posting his gemstones to DB, and he also offers returns.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't see that it's a "new" stone by Gemrite so the review period holds true.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1386352625|3568863 said:
Didn't see that it's a "new" stone by Gemrite so the review period holds true.
It's not. It's from Julia B Jewelry on Etsy.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, Freke, but I too think its overpriced - but then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm not the grey spinel 'freke" (ha ha - ya see what I did there?) that you are. :))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1386353667|3568875 said:
Sorry, Freke, but I too think its overpriced - but then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm not the grey spinel 'freke" (ha ha - ya see what I did there?) that you are. :))
Awesome. I hope everyone thinks so. Then it can sit there and wait for me to buy it then. :Up_to_something:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it's lovely, and I like grey stones. But I agree on the pricing. Maybe she'll negotiate?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JuliaB definitely seems like a shop to watch. She's very prominent in my internet searches and has some lovely gems. I am eyeing a couple things but really need to wait until she's having a sale...

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I take that back: JuliaB has moved the red spinel into her "gems for sale" list, meaning she will in fact sell it without a custom design. Sorely tempted. And for $1195, there is this larger, pinker spinel: il_570xn_34.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1386357901|3568930 said:
I take that back: JuliaB has moved the red spinel into her "gems for sale" list, meaning she will in fact sell it without a custom design. Sorely tempted. And for $1195, there is this larger, pinker spinel: il_570xn_34.jpg

Helloooo, lovely!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
does that first red spinel look cloudy to you guys? I have a friend who in the market for a red e-ring stone and might pull the trigger.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Going to post the actual picture of the first red spinel, the 1.14 carat one: il_570xn_35.jpg
JuliaB says it is VS2 clarity and any spots you see are from the stone sticking to her finger. She posts a five-day inspection policy, I believe.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
My friend got it. I'll let you know how it is.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Next time I win the lottery, I'm buying this pink diamond ring from our buddies at IDJewelry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-1-67CT-SI1-Natural-Fancy-Pink-Diamond-Ring-Platinum-/181276678056?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2a34ee97a8

From the listing: GIA CERTIFIED OVAL CUT DIAMOND ENGAGEMENT RING IN Platinum - 1.11CTW CENTER FANCY INTENSE PINK,
ROUND SIDE DIAMONDS 0.56CT PINK, F-G VS-SI (26 small pink diamonds 0.10ct and 50 small white diamonds 0.46ct)
(Total Carat Weight is 1.67CTW)

Holy moly! :love: :love:

__35.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1386357644|3568925 said:
JuliaB has a delicious 1.14-ct. red spinel
https://www.etsy.com/listing/160358695/precision-cut-burmese-red-spinel-nice?ref=shop_home_active&ga_search_query=spinel
which I think someone posted earlier. It's a great red color in her photos and seems reasonable at $995. However, it looks as if she will sell it only with one of her custom settings.

Burmese red spinels love to colour shift to a strong orange or brown indoors, so I encourage those interested in this round spinel to follow up with that question if the indoor shift is bothersome / not desired. Most also tend to show a good bit of extinction and I suspect this one might as well. The lighting used is either very strong or shaded and this is where extinction is less pronounced.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1386782752|3571981 said:
boerumbiddy|1386357644|3568925 said:
JuliaB has a delicious 1.14-ct. red spinel
https://www.etsy.com/listing/160358695/precision-cut-burmese-red-spinel-nice?ref=shop_home_active&ga_search_query=spinel
which I think someone posted earlier. It's a great red color in her photos and seems reasonable at $995. However, it looks as if she will sell it only with one of her custom settings.
Burmese red spinels love to colour shift to a strong orange or brown indoors, so I encourage those interested in this round spinel to follow up with that question if the indoor shift is bothersome / not desired. Most also tend to show a good bit of extinction and I suspect this one might as well. The lighting used is either very strong or shaded and this is where extinction is less pronounced.
It's already been sold, Chrono.

I'm hopeful about it. I think it looks like it could be very beautiful.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
The spinel went to a friend of VelouriaL, who has promised to report.....Five-day inspection clock is running.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read that it is already sold so I'm hoping for feedback from the buyer too (or at least through Vel).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results