shape
carat
color
clarity

Newtown 911 tapes being made public today

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your thoughts on this? It is just so sad and so emotional for the families. It's letting the entire word hear the worst and final moments of people's lives.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Honestly I think some people need to hear it to realize that gun contol and the licensing of guns needs to be cracked down on. However, for the victim families I can't imagine how hard this is for them. I know I won't listen to it regardless. I still can't believe someone would walk into a kindergarden classroom and shoot all 20 children. :blackeye:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SB621|1386166395|3567306 said:
Honestly I think some people need to hear it to realize that gun contol and the licensing of guns needs to be cracked down on. However, for the victim families I can't imagine how hard this is for them. I know I won't listen to it regardless. I still can't believe someone would walk into a kindergarden classroom and shoot all 20 children. :blackeye:

I was just about to write the exact same things, down to the sentence order and the final note of disbelief/sorrow. Then I saw SB's and thought, yep.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no question, I will not be listening to the tapes. I remember watching Bowling for Columbine and sitting in a stunned silence after listening to the Columbine 911 calls from parents, teachers, one teacher in particular. The panic in her voice is something I will never be able to shake.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I could not listen. And I'm very concerned about the possibility of copycat violence on the anniversary.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

Unfortunately I don't think any amount of anguished recordings will change people's opinions of gun control.

As a parent of kids in school ranging from elementary school to high school, there is no way I could listen to the tapes and plan on avoiding exposure to them. Everytime a school shooting happens, it makes me think of my own kids. Its scary.

My school district implemented very strict security after that amish school shooting a few years back. But so did Newton and it still happened.

When will the madness in the US stop? How many more executions before we say enough?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
asscherisme|1386176085|3567421 said:

Unfortunately I don't think any amount of anguished recordings will change people's opinions of gun control.

This.

I don't understand why any 911 calls are made public, except in the context of police investigations or trials. Police are public servants, and the public should have an expectation that their calls to the police are treated professionally... that means that they are not used to respond to an emergency, not for entertainment or to boost some news outlet's ratings, among other things. That goes even to the 911 calls that are aired as an example of abuse. If a caller abuses the system, prosecute them.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

As a parent of kids in school ranging from elementary school to high school, there is no way I could listen to the tapes and plan on avoiding exposure to them. Everytime a school shooting happens, it makes me think of my own kids. Its scary.

My school district implemented very strict security after that amish school shooting a few years back. But so did Newton and it still happened.

When will the madness in the US stop? How many more executions before we say enough?
What does the strict security look like?

My son's school is so wide open it scares me. I am curious to know what strict security looks like for elementary schools and if it hampers the children in any way.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Listening to the recordings would not change my opinions of "gun control" because to me, this issue is about SO much more than guns. It's about bad parenting, violent video games, mental illness and/or psychiatric drugs, lack of responsible gun ownership, etc. etc. etc.....
I will not be listening to the tapes though - the incident was tragic enough.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1386177033|3567426 said:

My son's school is so wide open it scares me. I am curious to know what strict security looks like for elementary schools and if it hampers the children in any way.

Our elementary school installed a camera system and school doors are locked at all times. Visitors can only enter through the main entrance (which is locked), they push a button, and someone working in the office sees a visual of the visitor and inquires about the meaning of their visit before manually unlocking the door. Obviously, this is not a full-proof system because someone could still get through. My opinion is that I wish that my children's schools had armed safety officers in place at each school (which is actually currently being discussed by our School Board as a viable option), but I realize that it is another topic entirely.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1386177033|3567426 said:

Doors are locked. You need to be buzzed in. Video security at all schools. You need to have a purpose to be in building, sign in and wear school name tag they give you. That's elementary so its not as strict as higher levels but its better than being wide open. All doors are locked and only way in is front entrance unless you have key.

For Jr. High, each Jr. High has its own police officer stationed full time at school. Same buzz in and sign in procedure as elementary plus police officer

For High school, you can't enter the building without having your drivers license scanned and they hold it when you are in building. 2 police officers per high school.

I'm not sure why they determined no police officer not needed at elementary level. I suspect its budget issues. But elementary kids are just so vulnerable.
But even with above, its not hard to slip in with someone else when staff are distracted. Especially during special events such as concerts.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1386176708|3567423 said:

This.

I don't understand why any 911 calls are made public, except in the context of police investigations or trials. Police are public servants, and the public should have an expectation that their calls to the police are treated professionally... that means that they are not used to respond to an emergency, not for entertainment or to boost some news outlet's ratings, among other things. That goes even to the 911 calls that are aired as an example of abuse. If a caller abuses the system, prosecute them.

I agree that no amount of anguished recordings will change people's opinions of gun control.

And you answered your own question as to why 911 are made public: entertainment, and to boost ratings, etc. :(sad

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sad. Definitely would never listen to them.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1386179311|3567452 said:
VRBeauty|1386176708|3567423 said:

This.

I agree that no amount of anguished recordings will change people's opinions of gun control.

And you answered your own question as to why 911 are made public: entertainment, and to boost ratings, etc. :(sad

I don't think that it's all about media, ratings, etc.
It's serves a purpose in acting as a teaching tool for how the general public responds in moments of crisis. It also works to dispel myths, rumors, etc. because it puts the truth out there for the world to hear. Whether or not those things outweigh the pain involved of the family of the victims is the argument and personally, I would prefer to see the release of this sort of information as written documents of the actual events (the 911 calls) as opposed to releasing the actual recordings.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no interest in listening.
I'm just not curious.

Lots of people were murdered.
That's it.
Horrible, but that's it.
That was the event that mattered, not what happens to information about the event.
The tapes are no more interesting to me than what type of tires were on the police cars.

If my loved ones were killed they are dead and gone.

Someone finding out what kind of tires were on the police cars or what was said that day does not make me more sad than I was before they learned such details.
IOW I don't care that the tapes are made public.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results