shape
carat
color
clarity

First Dance Songs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Our song is going to be ''Heaven'' by Warrant.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Abra ~ I heard DAC on the radio just a few minutes ago and though of you!! My favorite is the last verse "I was drunk... the day my mom got out of prison..."
9.gif

Windy ~ I just noticed that you live close to where we are getting married!! So pretty in that area!!

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2005 12:11:55 AM
Author: teebee
Abra ~ I heard DAC on the radio just a few minutes ago and though of you!! My favorite is the last verse ''I was drunk... the day my mom got out of prison...''
9.gif

Windy ~ I just noticed that you live close to where we are getting married!! So pretty in that area!!
Hee! Yeah--my whole plan is get everyone out on the dance floor by the time that verse comes around--so everyone can sing along...

I find it such a difficult song to not sing along with at the top of my lungs.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2005 9
6.gif
6.gif
1 AM
Author: abradabra

Date: 3/12/2005 12:11:55 AM
Author: teebee
Abra ~ I heard DAC on the radio just a few minutes ago and though of you!! My favorite is the last verse ''I was drunk... the day my mom got out of prison...''
9.gif

Hee! Yeah--my whole plan is get everyone out on the dance floor by the time that verse comes around--so everyone can sing along...

I find it such a difficult song to not sing along with at the top of my lungs.
Oh yeah, that is the ultimate "yell-along" song!! I think that will be sooooo much fun!!!

CanadianGal

Rough_Rock
Right now Im loving the song "Bless the Broken Road" By Rascal Flatts.... its a new song , so there really isn''t any sentimental value , but it''s sooo cute! here are some of the lyrics:

I set out on a narrow way, many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn''t see how every sign pointed straight to you
That every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way, into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
I think about the years I spent just passing through
I''d like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You''ve been there, you understand
It''s all part of a grander plan, that is coming true
Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
teebee - Cool! I''m actually getting married in Georgia, where I''m from, though. We''ve only been here for about three months. We love it here. We go hiking every weekend somewhere different... all within thirty minutes of where we live. It is beautiful here!

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 8:17:40 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Bee Gees, How Deep is your Love?
Faith Hill, Breathe,
Lonestar, Amazed
Sinatra, Night and Day
Chicago, You''re the Inspiration
ID, i was reading thru this thread thinking of what songs i would want and you chose 2 of them!! Lonestar''s "Amazed" and Chicago''s "You''re the Inspiration"
1.gif
I also love Van Morrison, so I may do one of his songs too. And when it''s time to really get down, we are going to play "Let''s Get Married" The Remix, by Jagged Edge...hehe, i haven''t told anyone that except you girls...i jam out to that song in my car, and play it over and over
9.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
ooh. I have ? for you girls. You know that song Melissa, by Allman Brothers? Its on a cell phone commercial right now, where the hubby is OOT and his wife text messages him to tell him she''s in labor and then they show the cute baby at the end?! Would that be a way cheesy/ or bad song to play at our wedding? I just like it cuz its my name, and a nice song.. :) I think we would dance to it, but it wouldnt be our first dance song.. you know?
I was at a wedding where they played the song of the brides name (Rhiannon, by Fleetwood Mac) this summer and I thought it was cute and fun, but that song is different.. . its a more upbeat song..

Anyone else thinking of doing this, or is it just silly??

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s cute! As a joke I will have the band play Jesse''s Girl....since my fiancee is Jesse, I know it''s a cheesy 80''s song but it''s always been a joke to us!

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
Hey Sweet Melissa!!! - I don't think its cheesy at all. We were introduced into our reception to Simon and Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson" because that's my new last name! I have very ethnic (Scandanavian)first and maiden names...never had a bike license plate with my name on it as a kid! I was thrilled to have my new name in a song!!! So, while I questioned that it was perhaps a bit too much about "ME", I got over it and our guests loved it...and not a day goes by that someone doesn't sing the song to me anyway at work or on phone messages! It's fun and it makes you feel like a celebrity for the moment...I say use the song!!!

Here's other tunes we used:

First dance: "Up on the Roof" by The Drifters (We live up on a roof...and that's where we got engaged)

Bridal Party dance: "Groovin' ... On a Sunday Afternoon" (only works if you get married on a Sunday, during the afternoon!)

Combined Parent Dance: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World" by IZ Hawaiian singer...BEAUTIFUL song

Cake: DJ began with "The Sweetest Thing" by U2...went into "When I'm 64" by the Beatles

Our Last song: "Fields of Gold" by Sting (Eva Cassidy does a spectacular version of this song as well...we used her version to begin the ceremony)

Last song of the night: "Walkin' on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves

Here are our Wedding CD songs:

All of the above plus: True Companion, Shining Star, Slow Dancin', I'll Be, I'm Your Puppet, Night Swimming, Dance the Night Away, Sail Away, God Only Knowsplus a few more I'm forgetting right now!

*Cool song to use if it rains on your wedding day: "Laughter in the Rain" by Neil Sedaka
We heard that a few months ago...and agreed we wished we had used it somewhere because Hurricane Charlie came to our wedding!

klr

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Melissa, I think that''s a GREAT idea!! (It''s my sister''s name too and my BIL played the song for her--she''d never heard it--in the car on their 2nd date.) I think it would be very sweet.

Jesse''s Girl and Mrs. Robinson are great too!!

Hmmmm...Since at this point I feel like I will be an LIW until I''m 40, I''ll post what some of my friends have danced to:

Walking in Memphis (it was their song--no special sig. otherwise.)
Dancing Cheek to Cheek (the standard)
May I have this Dance (...for the rest of my life) --Anne Murray song. It''s a waltz and my sis and BIL had taken lessons so it was pretty cute.
The Way You Look Tonight
From This Moment On
Still the One (sorry, I thought this was kind of bleah)
Annie''s Song

We also did this thing at my sister''s that we totally ripped off from the (now defunct!) Romaijn-Stamos wedding, and it was an AMAZING touch--everyone loved it. We printed up lyric sheets of "What a Wonderful World" and about 1/2 way through the reception the band singer announced what we were doing to help out....we passed out lyric sheets to everyone and the whole group (like, 175 people!!) circled the dance floor and we serenaded my sis/BIL as they danced. It was SO MOVING and fun and such like, a group bonding/affirmation of them as a couple. MY BIL is such a serious button-down guy and this is when he totally lost it--he was twirling my sister around the floor just WEEPING, and it was so sweet. The pics of them cutting the cake afterwards, it''s like, jeez, what happened to him! But they LOVED it and everyone remembered that as such a special touch. Plus, later on my BIL would sing that song (with his Louis Armstrong impression) to my sister''s belly and to their boys, so it''s become a meaningful song for them...

HeartProngs, love all of that accompanyment--clever!!

Oh, and the last song of the evening was 1999 since--it was 1999!!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2005 8:46:49 AM
Author: MelissaSue
ooh. I have ? for you girls. You know that song Melissa, by Allman Brothers? Its on a cell phone commercial right now, where the hubby is OOT and his wife text messages him to tell him she''s in labor and then they show the cute baby at the end?! Would that be a way cheesy/ or bad song to play at our wedding? I just like it cuz its my name, and a nice song.. :) I think we would dance to it, but it wouldnt be our first dance song.. you know?
I was at a wedding where they played the song of the brides name (Rhiannon, by Fleetwood Mac) this summer and I thought it was cute and fun, but that song is different.. . its a more upbeat song..

Anyone else thinking of doing this, or is it just silly??
MS ~ I would use it!! I don''t think it''s too cheesy, and it is a beautiful song. If I knew of a song that good called ''Traci'' I would use it... I have a few slow songs that I love and want to dance to in addition to our first dance song.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
OK, I just went and re-read the whole thread--I''d skimmed before (Bad!!!) There are some GREAT songs on here!!! Love all the classic ones, but all the personal ones are fun too--"You never even called me by my name" was a favorite in college and the fact that your name will be "Darling"? Oh, you just HAVE to!!! Hilarious!!!

MMM, Love that you had the Restless Heart song
2.gif

I also love Norah Jones'' "The Nearness of you"....it was originally Hoagy Carmichal back in the day and it''s just timeless.

TeeBee, I just LOVE that "Someone Exactly Like You"....it''s so sweet. VM has such a great tone--"These are the days" is another one that''d be good--"Have I told You Lately" might be overdone?

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Oh goodness--I am such a classic rock fan--I think using Melissa would be fantastic. (As a random aside, when I first heard the song in high school, I thought they were singing "Sweet Militia" rather than Melissa. It made no sense!) I think it''s particularly good because although the song is called "Melissa," it''s more about this one gypsy''s love for a girl named Melissa rather than a love song to a girl named Melissa. That way it makes it about both you and your husband--rather than just you.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
That''s so true about the song as a general love song and the name Melissa just being a great plus!! And that is HILARIOUS!!! "Sweet Militia"??!! The war-monger''s love song!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results